Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 07:08 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,845,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Been a Southern transplant for 6 years now and I am still amazed by this regional pronunciation by natives of the South. Where becomes Hwhere, Why; Hwy, What; Hwhat, Whistle; Hwistle, White; Hwite, etc. The only word that is immune from this pattern is who. And the thing is, this crosses all social and demographic lines; poor southerners, as well as the most articulate and educated ones do this. Very interesting indeed.
I'm not co-signing, however. I am reminded of the Lil John/ Dave Chappelle skit. "Hwhat"! I don't know much about Lil John. However, I presume that he is from the South.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:34 PM

10,189 posts, read 7,908,927 times
Quote:
Been a Southern transplant for 6 years now and I am still amazed by this regional pronunciation by natives of the South. Where becomes Hwhere, Why; Hwy, What; Hwhat, Whistle; Hwistle, White; Hwite, etc. The only word that is immune from this pattern is who. And the thing is, this crosses all social and demographic lines; poor southerners, as well as the most articulate and educated ones do this. Very interesting indeed.

May I ask where you live in the South? I live in the South and I have never been to a place where they pronounce an H before W. I personally have never heard this nor do I know anyone who does this.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:35 PM

44,257 posts, read 64,056,257 times
I don't think I have ever heard that except on tv.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:43 PM

10,189 posts, read 7,908,927 times
Quote:
How so? I just find it fascinating that virtually an entire region of the country pronounced words that start with "wh" "hw". Hwy does this bother you?

That is totally incorrect. I have never heard anyone pronounce words that way and I live in the Southeast.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:18 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,197,371 times
Quote:
How so? I just find it fascinating that virtually an entire region of the country pronounced words that start with "wh" "hw". Hwy does this bother you?
It doesn't BOTHER me. What I was correcting was your implication that people who do pronounce the words with an h sound at the beginning are doing so INCORRECTLY. I gathered this from this quote from you

Quote:
I don't care what an online dictionary says, wh does not = an hw sound.
Several people have pointed out to you that numerous dictionaries in fact clearly state that this is not only CORRECT, it is the most COMMON pronunciation of those sorts of words. So - it really doesn't matter whether or not you believe this, or whether or not you are fascinated, or bemused, or horrified, or WHATEVER. Those of us who pronounce those words in this manner are doing so correctly.

That's my point. Period.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:19 PM

5,996 posts, read 7,051,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
That is totally incorrect. I have never heard anyone pronounce words that way and I live in the Southeast.
A challenge for you: Now that you have read this thread and are aware of this phenomenon, listen for it. You'll be shocked how prevalent it is. You'll hear it everyhwere, even hwen you least expect it. .

Old 01-08-2013, 08:22 PM

5,996 posts, read 7,051,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It doesn't BOTHER me. What I was correcting was your implication that people who do pronounce the words with an h sound at the beginning are doing so INCORRECTLY. I gathered this from this quote from you

Several people have pointed out to you that numerous dictionaries in fact clearly state that this is not only CORRECT, it is the most COMMON pronunciation of those sorts of words. So - it really doesn't matter hwether or not you believe this, or hwether or not you are fascinated, or bemused, or horrified, or HWATEVER. Those of us who pronounce those words in this manner are doing so correctly.

I find it odd that YOU find it odd.
You're taking yourself WAAAY too seriously. But hwatever. P.S. I fixed it for you.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:23 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,197,371 times
So what? It's a correct pronunciation. It's the most COMMON pronunciation of such words.

This is a ridiculous thread! It's like saying, "OMG I am so surprised that the summers are hot in the South. Everywhere I go, the summers are hot. I'm just so amazed."

And someone says, "It's normal for summers to be hot."

"I don't care if weather stats say that or if history proves it - it's odd, I tell you!"

Errr, no. It's not odd. It's not even particularly interesting.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:27 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,768,716 times
My mother grew up in NY and went to college upstate for English where she learned that the hw sound is correct. She says words that start with wh "correctly" and it's quite possibly the most irritating thing I've ever heard. No one goes around atlking ilke htis, os hsut pu.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:31 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,261,681 times
Quote:
A challenge for you: Now that you have read this thread and are aware of this phenomenon, listen for it. You'll be shocked how prevalent it is. You'll hear it everyhwere, even hwen you least expect it. .
You said the same thing to me. You act like you know more about our regional accents than we do.

I won't hear it everywhere, because I already know how most people talk here.

I'm amazed that you think this is somehow an exclusively Southern thing, and somehow entirely region-wide as well. In terms of pronunciation, I can't think of anything that is universal in the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.