Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 02:38 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,098,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right.

Dang, it's cold in here. I need to go put some more cloTHes on.
I pronounce the th. How do you say it "close"?

Old 01-08-2013, 02:40 PM

With all due respect, our good family friend lives in Mt. Lebanon (?) and almost everyone there, like all of the south puts the h before the w.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Maybe there, but not here.

Local pronunciation here (Middle Tennessee) is more like this:

Where sounds like wear
Why sounds like the the letter Y
What sounds like wut
Whistle sounds like wissle
White sounds like wite

You have to remember that there are many different variations of the Southern accent. Some rhotic, some non-rhotic. Some with twang, some with drawl. Appalachian is very different from coastal. New Orleans and Charleston accents sound nothing alike.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:44 PM

Uh........it was a joke. Do you not find it funny/ironic that the word phonetically is not spelled phonetically?

Quote:
Lots of our words are not spelled phonetically.

But that's really beside the point. My point was a rebuttal to your assertion that Southerners are pronouncing these words oddly. They're (we're) pronouncing them correctly.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:32 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,049,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Uh........it was a joke. Do you not find it funny/ironic that the word phonetically is not spelled phonetically?
Over time people are pronouncing words different but don't change the spelling .The English is so old that if you gone in time Machine to past they would not understand you today.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:52 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
Quote:
With all due respect, our good family friend lives in Mt. Lebanon (?) and almost everyone there, like all of the south puts the h before the w.
With all due respect, I'm a native. I think I know how people tawk aroun' here.

We have other transplants from the South, so maybe you've heard it from some of them.

Lebanon or Mount Juliet. Take your pick. They're in the same county.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:56 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Then what's the point of spelling it Wh if you pronounce it Hw? Why not spell it "correctly"?
Are you new to the English language? lol

And I have to somewhat disagree with your assertion that ALL Southerners talk this way. I'm an African American from the coastal plain area of SC and we don't pronounce our "wh" words that way.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:07 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,116,791 times
I'm from PA. My third grade teacher taught us that the hw pronunciation was correct. That being said, nobody from my area pronounces the h ever.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:35 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
I pronounce the th. How do you say it "close"?
Just as I pronounce "where," and "when," and such correctly, I also pronounce "clothes" correctly:

clothes [klohz, klohth z] Show IPA
plural noun
garments for the body; articles of dress; wearing apparel.
bedclothes.
Clothes | Define Clothes at Dictionary.com

I used that word specifically to point out something - BOTH pronunciations of the words you brought up, and the word "clothes" are indeed correct. However, "my" Southern way of pronouncing them is the first listed, and therefore more common - and also definitely correct -way of pronouncing them.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
With all due respect, I'm a native. I think I know how people tawk aroun' here.

We have other transplants from the South, so maybe you've heard it from some of them.

Lebanon or Mount Juliet. Take your pick. They're in the same county.
Sorry, I always get the two confused and somehow combined them, lol. Just do me a favor now that I have brought it up; consciously listen for it and lemme know in this thread if you hear it. I bet you will.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Just as I pronounce "where," and "when," and such correctly, I also pronounce "clothes" correctly:

clothes [klohz, klohth z] Show IPA
plural noun
garments for the body; articles of dress; wearing apparel.
bedclothes.
Clothes | Define Clothes at Dictionary.com

I used that word specifically to point out something - BOTH pronunciations of the words you brought up, and the word "clothes" are indeed correct. However, "my" Southern way of pronouncing them is the first listed, and therefore more common - and also definitely correct -way of pronouncing them.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill.
How so? I just find it fascinating that virtually an entire region of the country pronounced words that start with "wh" "hw". Hwy does this bother you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.