U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-08-2013, 01:06 PM
 
124 posts, read 245,211 times
Reputation: 91

Advertisements

Looking for the best weather during winter time.

Live in Northern Ca and hate the cold and all the flu going around.

Probably can't escape the flu but being in the sunlight should help a little!

Thinking of researching Florida area.

Looking to get a condo somewhere, not moving full time (yet).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-08-2013, 01:26 PM
PDF
 
11,386 posts, read 10,519,167 times
Reputation: 6606
What about SoCal? I hate this Florida weather. Cold in the mornings, and then so damn hot and humid during the day. Drives me crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2013, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Lafayette, La
2,035 posts, read 4,556,257 times
Reputation: 1422
Its 60F here right now.
It rarely ever drops below 30F even dead of Winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2013, 03:25 PM
 
124 posts, read 245,211 times
Reputation: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
What about SoCal?
SoCal is cold too.

I'm looking for weather in the 70-80's during winter.

Going to look into Hawaii.

Only prob with Hawaii is you are living next to a volcano!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2013, 04:01 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
9,033 posts, read 8,747,295 times
Reputation: 5665
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP500 View Post
SoCal is cold too.

I'm looking for weather in the 70-80's during winter.

Going to look into Hawaii.

Only prob with Hawaii is you are living next to a volcano!
Only the Big Island has active volcanoes, although volcanic fog, or "vog," does occasionally drift over some of the other islands. If you're really that worried about them, try Kauai -- it's 400 miles away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2013, 11:43 PM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
11,810 posts, read 18,804,722 times
Reputation: 11136
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
What about SoCal? I hate this Florida weather. Cold in the mornings, and then so damn hot and humid during the day. Drives me crazy.
Cold in the morning???? Oh, that's right. You are in Tampa.
However, saying cold in the morning to a Californian is all relative. It's usually cold in the morning in most of the state all year long when compared to Tampa.

Our morning lows in Miami have been quite warm this year. It's been in the low 80s each day and around 70 overnight. I'm sure not complaining. That's about 5-7 degrees above normal for both the high and the low temperatures for January.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2013, 08:49 AM
 
34 posts, read 42,222 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP500 View Post
SoCal is cold too.

I'm looking for weather in the 70-80's during winter.

Going to look into Hawaii.

Only prob with Hawaii is you are living next to a volcano!
Miami has an average low of 69F and high of 82F this month. Just to compare, Honolulu has an average high of 79F and low of 66F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2013, 10:36 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,470 posts, read 25,417,065 times
Reputation: 8936
Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalMiamiZone11A View Post
Miami has an average low of 69F and high of 82F this month. Just to compare, Honolulu has an average high of 79F and low of 66F.
What month would that be because for Jan is shows Miami with an average high of 74 and a low of 61.

Average Weather for Miami, FL - Temperature and Precipitation


It shows Honolulu at 81 and 65 for Jan.

Average Weather for Honolulu, HI - Temperature and Precipitation

Hawaii is definitely warmer than anywhere in Florida during winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2013, 11:03 AM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
11,810 posts, read 18,804,722 times
Reputation: 11136
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
What month would that be because for Jan is shows Miami with an average high of 74 and a low of 61.

Average Weather for Miami, FL - Temperature and Precipitation


It shows Honolulu at 81 and 65 for Jan.

Average Weather for Honolulu, HI - Temperature and Precipitation

Hawaii is definitely warmer than anywhere in Florida during winter.
After 11 seasons in Miami Beach, my experience is that it's typically warmer than these averages. But then again, Miami Beach tends to have warmer nights than Miami proper and, especially, the west suburbs. I imagine that the weather is cooler in Hawaii as you climb into mountains. If I was never shown a list of averages and somebody asked me what to expect, I'd tell them high 70s in the daytime and high 60s for the overnight low.....just miserable!

While I haven't spent much time in Hawaii and can't comment about long weather anomalies, I can tell you that Miami can have "cold" spells where the highs are in the low 60s with lows in the 40s. These sort of events don't happen every year and they don't last more than a few days but they can happen.

These are the 6 day forecasts for Miami Beach & Honolulu according to Siri. I won't tell you which is which because it's inconsequential.

City A:
79 - 68 (chance of rain)
79 - 66
79 - 68
79 - 68
79 - 68
77 - 70

City B:
82 - 70
81 - 70
81 - 70
81 - 68
79 - 70
79 - 70
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2013, 11:39 AM
PDF
 
11,386 posts, read 10,519,167 times
Reputation: 6606
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Cold in the morning???? Oh, that's right. You are in Tampa.
However, saying cold in the morning to a Californian is all relative. It's usually cold in the morning in most of the state all year long when compared to Tampa.

Our morning lows in Miami have been quite warm this year. It's been in the low 80s each day and around 70 overnight. I'm sure not complaining. That's about 5-7 degrees above normal for both the high and the low temperatures for January.
Cold to me at least. Now, I can handle the cold. I love the snow and have spent extensive time in that weather. But when you are in this unbearable heat for most of the year, sometimes the cold can be a shock.

I work at 3AM usually and kind of in a cold environment, so yeah it feels cold. But nothing I can't handle. Moving to California soon, can't wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top