Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2013, 05:02 PM

53 posts, read 124,092 times

Advertisements

Hi I am looking to move to a place with cool summer temps (20 days or less > 90F), but the cost of living is VERY important. I am not a survivalist, but would like to start hunting and fishing to be more self sufficient. I would also like to have access to clean free or cheap water and also low cost electricity. I am wondering if I could read some examples of how some people who are creative and have been able to live inexpensively and what places might be a good fit for this kind of living. I would prefer to live near a decent sized city to have access to things like good medical treatment, airport, shopping, and entertainment.

I would like to buy a home for around 200k or less and keep taxes and utilities low. I need about 2000 sq. ft. of living space. I would preferably like to live in an area with minimal natural disasters, but I don't want to limit examples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 08:54 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
You may like this information: New York Power Authority: About Us
New York Power Authority Municipal and Cooperative Customers Map

Upstate New York Real Estate

Old 01-06-2013, 09:04 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,803,534 times
I would say you can find that in most northern border states. New York state, Maine, Wisconsin, Michigan or Minnesota likely all fit the bill pretty well. Western states have a higher cost of living, but some areas of Idaho or Montana may work as well. Alaska would have all the hunting and fishing you want, but COL is bad up there.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:24 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphapha View Post
Hi I am looking to move to a place with cool summer temps (20 days or less > 90F), but the cost of living is VERY important. I am not a survivalist, but would like to start hunting and fishing to be more self sufficient. I would also like to have access to clean free or cheap water and also low cost electricity. I am wondering if I could read some examples of how some people who are creative and have been able to live inexpensively and what places might be a good fit for this kind of living. I would prefer to live near a decent sized city to have access to things like good medical treatment, airport, shopping, and entertainment.

I would like to buy a home for around 200k or less and keep taxes and utilities low. I need about 2000 sq. ft. of living space. I would preferably like to live in an area with minimal natural disasters, but I don't want to limit examples.
Canaan Valley of West Virginia. Look near the Elkins, WV region.

It meets the moderate summer temperature threshold of <=90 degrees due to being around 2000ft in elevation.

Affordable enough while still having lots of interesting rural options to live. It also has attracted numerous artists and Elkins itself has becoming a small arts colony. It has a more northern feel in terms of tree types and vegetation due to the elevation.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:36 PM

281 posts, read 713,048 times
Here in Oregon it is not uncommon for people to live without having to buy any meat at the grocery store by hunting deer and elk and fishing for salmon. Many people also raise chickens for poultry and eggs, and grow their own vegetables.

200k $/sq.ft. houses here in the southern Willamette valley are readily available and cost of living is relatively low, particularly compared to the east coast.

Summers here average 15 days above 90F.

And it's not the sticks, we have airports, hospitals, malls etc.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:07 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
Two words: Northern Minnesota.

Plenty of houses on huge - but surprisingly cheap - rural plots of land (5+ acres, often 40+ acres once you start really getting out of town). Of course they are serviced by well water, which is often clean (water from the well we originally had was among the best tasting water I've ever had; water from the deeper well we had dug because of frequent water shortages is potable, but sub-par at best). Minnesota Power is probably one of the cheapest providers of electrical power around, average rate about $0.08/kWh. And property taxes are quite low, as well. Hunting and fishing, are, of course, MAJOR hobbies around here.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:36 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
Northeast Tennessee (Tri Cities area) might be worth looking into. Housing cost and taxes (except sales tax) are generally quite low. Electricity should be below the national average. I'm unsure about water.

It may occasionally go over the twenty 90 degree+ days, but according to NOAA records, they average 14. That number would be a bit less in the higher elevations.

If you're looking for reading material, here's a thread about a couple making a sustainable homestead in East Tennessee:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...tennessee.html

Old 01-07-2013, 07:15 AM

Thanks everyone! I am also looking forward to researching more of what you all wrote and also hoping we have some more input and examples!

Old 01-13-2013, 09:56 AM

I am curious what people use or do in the winter to save on utility costs.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:07 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphapha View Post
I am curious what people use or do in the winter to save on utility costs.
Many in rural areas have multiple heat sources they use in winter like wood, pellet stove, passive solar, high R value insulation throughout, propane, etc. In some rural areas natural gas might be harder to find so propane is often used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.