Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 06:16 PM

18 posts, read 27,004 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

My wife and I are both recent college graduates and are looking at starting a new life elsewhere. We're currently in South Austin, TX and we are currently looking at relocating. We've already done some research as to where we'd like to go but we don't know too many people from these areas to get an idea of what it would be like to live there. We'd like to move to one of the following states:

New Mexico
Oklahoma
Arizona
Colorado
Idaho
Montana
Washington
Minnesota
Oregon
California
South Dakota
Nebraska
Iowa
Wisconsin
Utah
Nevada
Illinois
Wyoming
New York
Vermont
New Hampshire
Maine

Neither my wife and I really like to go out that much and we're both usually in bed by 10pm even on Saturday nights. We both really enjoy outdoor activities such as hiking, kayaking and such. So access to these activities is a pretty big deal. Also, being in Austin where it's really hot, we're looking for a place that's a little more dry and if not more dry than a little colder. Also, we're not looking to move to a major metropolitan area. A city of about 50,000 to 250,000 would be an ideal place for us and a low crime rate is a MUST. Despite what you may think we're not total introverts and would like to make a couple of friends, so a place where the people are friendly and welcoming would be ideal also.

Any help is apprecated, thanks guys. I know this is a lot to ask.

Last edited by GlacierTuxedo; 02-22-2013 at 06:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 06:26 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
I don't think most of Iowa or Illinois fits your bill to be honest. MAYBE some of the cities near the Mississippi River, but even then? Nah. Same as Nebraska IMO.

In Minnesota I'd suggest something like Duluth. The city is around 85,000 people (MSA of around 280,000) and it's right on Lake Superior. Not only that but it's near a TON of forest and such. The most famous is the Boundary Waters Canoe (Boundary Waters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) area which looks something like this:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_5Zb6nnZ4zM...s-77098-sw.jpg

Not a long drive to Minneapolis either or Canada if you want to go. UM-Duluth is there with over 10,000 students too. Area is VERY outdoorsy. Only problem is that it gets pretty ****ing cold in the winter, something you will definitely not be accustomed to from Texas.

I know there beautiful areas in places like Main, New Hampshire, Vermont, Arizona, New Mexico, California, etc but I'm not very familiar with them.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:55 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
[quote=GlacierTuxedo;28374483]
Neither my wife and I really like to go out that much and we're both usually in bed by 10pm even on Saturday nights. We both really enjoy outdoor activities such as hiking, kayaking and such. So access to these activities is a pretty big deal. Also, being in Austin where it's really hot, we're looking for a place that's a little more dry and if not more dry than a little colder. Also, we're not looking to move to a major metropolitan area. A city of about 50,000 to 250,000 would be an ideal place for us and a low crime rate is a MUST. Despite what you may think we're not total introverts and would like to make a couple of friends, so a place where the people are friendly and welcoming would be ideal also.[/QUOTE

Check out Blacksburg, Virginia in the foot hills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. It's a nice, safe small city (45K) that reads larger since it's a college town (Virginia Tech) and has tons of nearby hiking/kayaking opportunities.

Virginia Tech Magazine Feature 3

Old 02-23-2013, 10:50 AM

The wife and I did some intensive research yesterday and eliminated and added a few possibilities.

marothisu,
We did some research on most of the midwest and decided that it wasn't a good fit for us. We've taken off Iowa, Illinois, South Dakota, and Nebraska. We've also taken off New Mexico, Oklahoma, Wyoming, and Nevada. New Mexico we decided against due to the increasing crime rates in the states. Oklahoma, we've found that no city in that state really fits our bill. Wyoming would be very nice but there aren't really any opportunities there and we're both looking for a place that offers steady employment. We've decided on the same thing regarding Nevada.
Neither my wife and I wanted to move to the Minneapolis-St.Paul area but Duluth does look pretty nice. At the same time, I've noticed it's latitude and location by Lake Superior and I can imagine that the winters are very, very cold which seems to be the only drawback. We'll definitely keep it in mind. Once we narrow our choices down, we're going to visit the cities we've chosen and check it out for ourselves. We're both just tired of Austin and Texas in genral.

kyle,
Believe it or not, Blacksburg VA was actually recommended to us by a friend of our's who went to Virginia Tech. She says it's a realy nice place with a lot of outdoor activities and gorgeous countryside. My wife however wasn't too interested in moving to Virginia. She doesn't like the "traditional South" which is why I didn't list really any place below the Mason-Dixon line. However, I'll try to keep her mind open to it. Like I said, the only places I'm uninterested in moving to are large cities with high crime rates.

I appreciate the responses guys, please keep them coming if you have any suggestions!

Old 02-23-2013, 10:55 AM

Wow! This is extremey helpful. Thank you so much. I've been to NY state and it's a wonderful place.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:08 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
I agree with your analysis of the Midwest, although I still think parts of Minnesota or Michigan would be good. They are very outdoorsy there. By the way, my dad is from Los Angeles originally...grew up with a cabin at Yosemite, but he still puts northern Minnesota up there as one of the most beautiful areas of the US.

Otherwise, yeah part of upstate New York is definitely good BUT some of the places in upstate new york also get a ton of snow, even more than a lot of Minnesota.

I don't think you should be put off by it though, especially if you're the outdoors type. Snow packed stuff can be very, very beautiful. It's only when there's a ton of wind that you want to kill yourself.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:22 AM

We definitely wouldn't mind a little cold weather but it would be difficult to get used to. I googled some pictures of North Minnesota and found many of them breathtaking. Definitely a place I could live for a while. We've both lived our entires lives in South/Southeast Texas and so we're realy used to the mild winters and hot summers.
The only concern I would have with NY is the cost of living. Same thing with New England in general.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:23 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
What kind of work would you be looking for?

Old 02-23-2013, 11:39 AM

I currently work for Texas Parks and Wildlife. I have two derees in Agriculture and Sociology. I also hold a certificate in GIS. My wife just recently completed her degree in Public Administration this past December. So honestly I'd be looking for work for a local or state level job in Parks/Wildlife/Recreation but I'm open minded. As long as I'm not working in sales I'm fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.