U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 04:33 PM

18,630 posts, read 27,042,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Not really. As a northern African American, personally I'm not really fond of the south. Only black people from Philly, Jersey, NYC and probably Boston and other northeastern cities, show very few or no traces of the southern accent. Blacks from from LA, the Bay and Midwestern cities such as Chicago and Detroit all have a noticeable southern sound to their accent.
Hate to see this quote here. But oh well.

Quote:
One interesting question would be do you believe Northern African Americans have more in common with Southern African Americans than Northern Caucasians have with Southern Caucasians.
Well most Northern Black Americans (do not like the term AA myself for personal reasons) are mostly urban whereas most Southern Black Americans are a mixture of urban and rural. You will find that there is a good bit of similarities between Urban Blacks in the Midwest/West and the Urban Blacks in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 04:43 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,285,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well LA does.
Very true. It is not an outright southern "drawl." But there is a hint of the southern dialect in the average black American in Los Angeles.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:55 PM

6,511 posts, read 9,047,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILRAZORHOG View Post
I would say no. Black people in the northeast, midwest, and west coast cities take pride in their own culture. Most people would say that New York, Detroit, Chicago, and L.A. blacks are not southerners. I would say that some have southern roots and leave it at that.
I disagree, and I think you missed part of the OP's question.

A lot of African Americans in general have a southern type of accent about them, even if they live in the midwest. It's not because they have connections to the south or family ties, it's cultural, raised, and passed on to the next generation. Just as some certain words are used within certain cultures, so too is their way of speech.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:19 PM

6,418 posts, read 10,857,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
(do not like the term AA myself for personal reasons)
Yeah...kind of hard to figure out which words pass as politically correct these days. I just like to change things up every once in a while.

My problem with 'black' and 'white' is that I have never met anyone from either of those races that was truly one of those colors.

I can see how African American can be a problem, too, as most black people in this country are several generations removed from Africa.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:14 PM

56,517 posts, read 80,824,285 times
I think many retain certain things and I think many Black Northerners could transition easily if they moved to the South, but there are some differences as well. It will depend on how long a person and/or their family has been in other regions too.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:52 PM

6,431 posts, read 9,950,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I'm not asking if most African-Americans live in the South. What I am asking is do African-Americans, regardless of where they live in the United States or how long they have been there, reflect a certain "Southernness" in their cuisine, accents, and style of worship?
I'm black and I would say the only thing African-Americans share nationwide in regards to "southernness" is the ghetto culture and yes their style of worship. It's all carried over from the south from the slave days.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:04 PM

29,877 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I'm black and I would say the only thing African-Americans share nationwide in regards to "southernness" is the ghetto culture and yes their style of worship. It's all carried over from the south from the slave days.
I don't know who taught you American history or Black history, but they did you an egregious disservice.

Firstly, "ghetto culture," as you call it, is far from a Southern phenomenon; rather, it's an urban phenomenon and much more closely associated with Northern urban centers. Secondly, our style of worship predates slavery. It was simply integrated into a Christian context.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:20 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,141,996 times
Quote:
Good point about the church services. But would you not say food as well?

Many aspects of African American Vernacular English are shared with Southern dialects (the pin-pen merger, for example).

Old 01-11-2013, 09:55 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,193,812 times
Quote:
Actually, the ghetto culture is from the Europeans that emigrated from Europe to the U.S. in the late 1800's and after. They lived in the Northern cities, in areas described as urban ghettos, which was similar to the ghettos in Europe. When Southern Blacks moved up North for jobs during the great migration, they moved into those areas. White flight ensued, turning these ares into majority Black ones. Basically, the origin of "ghetto culture" is from Europeans who came to the U.S. How Black Americans became perpetually tagged with that label is something I don't understand.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:09 PM

29,877 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Good point about the church services.
Not really; that's a direct legacy of our African cultures and not slavery (a new context, Christianity, was gained in slavery; that was it). You see the same aspects of this in hybrid African folks religions in the Caribbean and South America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or