Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 03:25 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I hope my earlier post on the first page didn't offend you because I do understand that not every Black Chicagoan has a southern drawl in their speech but from my personal experience almost all the Black Chicagoans I've came across had some kind of southern drawl in the speech. In my opinion it seems like the southern drawl was the strongest in the South Side of Chicago. This is just my perspective as an African American who grew up in Philadelphia.
It's actually much stronger on the west side. I remember talking to the people up there and I thought I was in Jackson, MS somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 04:08 PM

867 posts, read 1,397,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It's actually much stronger on the west side. I remember talking to the people up there and I thought I was in Jackson, MS somewhere.
Probably because several Chicagoans came from MS and AL.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:41 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
Most black Americans do live in the south, so, technically, the answer is yes. However, what's even more remarkable is the influence that southern culture has/had on the black communities in the other regions of the country.

As far as Chicago goes, of all the things they did get from the South, apparently, beautiful women isn't one of them....atleast, that's what everyone seems to say.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
Probably because several Chicagoans came from MS and AL.
I know that but again you can make the same argument for people in the Northeast yet....

Old 01-12-2013, 06:55 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,127 times
Quote:
It's funny you would say that.

My folks are from North MS and the Memphis area, they migrated to Chicago's westside last generations.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:55 PM

867 posts, read 1,397,784 times
Quote:
I know that but again you can make the same argument for people in the Northeast yet....
Not really...Black people have been in the Northeast since the beginning. NY practiced slavery too you know. The ones who are not from the Northeast are generally from another East Coast state like MD,VA, NC, SC, or GA.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:10 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I'm black and I would say the only thing African-Americans share nationwide in regards to "southernness" is the ghetto culture and yes their style of worship. It's all carried over from the south from the slave days.

Wrong. Ghetto culture has nothing to do with the South. It is more a Northern thing. Get your facts straight.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
Not really...Black people have been in the Northeast since the beginning. NY practiced slavery too you know. The ones who are not from the Northeast are generally from another East Coast state like MD,VA, NC, SC, or GA.
And VA, NC, SC, and GA are Southern states. Many families from the Carolina's migrated to NY and NJ. Yes there was always there but I bet most cane through the great migration. Heck Chicago also had a size able Black population for a city in te Midwest before the great migration.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:23 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
What about those Chicago women, Spade?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.