U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 10:24 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,194,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
Not really...Black people have been in the Northeast since the beginning. NY practiced slavery too you know. The ones who are not from the Northeast are generally from another East Coast state like MD,VA, NC, SC, or GA.
This is true. American Slavery was practiced all through the North East. People seem to forget that bit of history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 11:42 PM

56,083 posts, read 54,565,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
This is true. American Slavery was practiced all through the North East. People seem to forget that bit of history.

Traces of the Trade

This is about the slave trade in the "Deep North", put together by descendants of the biggest slave trading family of the time, in Rhode Island.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:24 AM

867 posts, read 1,088,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
You tell these people the REAL East Coast history and they revert back to their -impression- of what East Coast history is. NY practiced slavery and most slave ships (if not all) were financed and came from the Northeast. Some people just be in denial or generally dont understand history.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:16 AM

4,138 posts, read 4,161,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I hope my earlier post on the first page didn't offend you because I do understand that not every Black Chicagoan has a southern drawl in their speech but from my personal experience almost all the Black Chicagoans I've came across had some kind of southern drawl in the speech. In my opinion it seems like the southern drawl was the strongest in the South Side of Chicago. This is just my perspective as an African American who grew up in Philadelphia.
You're actually right. Many black Chicagoans do have an accent that could be considered sounthern or 'country' although it's not the same as you would hear in, say, Atlanta. I just don't happen to be one of them. Sometimes people do say that I have an accent but not a southern one.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:19 AM

4,138 posts, read 4,161,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Not southern in any way, shape, or form, huh?

Tell me, which side of Chicago do you live?
You know, that's really funny.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
And VA, NC, SC, and GA are Southern states. Many families from the Carolina's migrated to NY and NJ. Yes there was always there but I bet most cane through the great migration. Heck Chicago also had a size able Black population for a city in te Midwest before the great migration.
What are you trying to say? You do realize that the East Coast goes from Florida to Maine, right? The popular "Northeast" is not the entire East Coast. You do realize that MARYLAND, Virginia, and North Carolina held the majority of slaves before and after they started shipping people off to MS/AL/KY,right? And that ol southern slave state of Maryland is the home of Harriet Tubman (of Underground Railroad fame) and the ever so distinct, Frederick Douglass.

Chicago is decent...but NY city and state probably always had more Blacks, first and foremost for this reason---->>>Slavery in New York. Plus, before the "Great Migration" Blacks continouslly poured into NY especially from the Underground Railroad. But yeah, large portions of Blacks also migrated during the "Great Migration" also...and from the Caribbean. But before the "first Great Migration" in 1910 around 1838-50 James Weeks (from Virginia) was already establishing Weeksville, Brooklyn, this venture is one reason why Brooklyn became "The Borough"...especially for Blacks. After the draft riots it was a refuge from NY (Manhattan). Brooklyn was its own city, before it merged with NYC. Some people seem to forget NYs "New Amsterdam/Netherlands" past. The REAL "New" York is the original shire of Yorktown, Va.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:10 PM

4,434 posts, read 4,417,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
What are you trying to say? You do realize that the East Coast goes from Florida to Maine, right? The popular "Northeast" is not the entire East Coast. You do realize that MARYLAND, Virginia, and North Carolina held the majority of slaves before and after they started shipping people off to MS/AL/KY,right? And that ol southern slave state of Maryland is the home of Harriet Tubman (of Underground Railroad fame) and the ever so distinct, Frederick Douglass.

Chicago is decent...but NY city and state probably always had more Blacks, first and foremost for this reason---->>>Slavery in New York. Plus, before the "Great Migration" Blacks continouslly poured into NY especially from the Underground Railroad. But yeah, large portions of Blacks also migrated during the "Great Migration" also...and from the Caribbean. But before the "first Great Migration" in 1910 around 1838-50 James Weeks (from Virginia) was already establishing Weeksville, Brooklyn, this venture is one reason why Brooklyn became "The Borough"...especially for Blacks. After the draft riots it was a refuge from NY (Manhattan). Brooklyn was its own city, before it merged with NYC. Some people seem to forget NYs "New Amsterdam/Netherlands" past. The REAL "New" York is the original shire of Yorktown, Va.
The northeast and the southeast makes the east coast but the southeast is part of the south. blacks going from the southeast to the northeast is going from the south to northeast. In fact the census don't define the entire east coast together as a region.

Fact. In 1910, about 90% of African Americans lived in the South, yes there were blacks up north but the majority of blacks up north ancestry came from that great migration out the south. From 1910 to 1970 six million blacks moved out the south. "In 1900, only 740,000 African Americans lived outside the South, just 8 percent of the nation's total black population. By 1970, more than 10.6 million African Americans lived outside the South, 47 percent of the nation's total."

Great Migration (African American) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

but lets go back to 1870, 1870 black%

Alabama 47.7%
Florida 48.8%
Georgia 46.0%
Louisiana 50.1%
Mississippi 53.7%
South Carolina 58.9%
Virginia 41.9%

New York 1.2%
Pennsylvania 1.9%
Illinois 1.1%
New Jersey 3.4%
Ohio 2.4%
Indiana 2.0%
Michigan 0.9%

What was Harlem know for? Jazz, where did jazz come from? the south. What was Detroit know for? R&B, where did R&B come from? the south. What was St Louis know for? the Blues, where did the blues come from? the south. Blacks migrated and change the culture of those cities.

1890 black density map

http://www.virginiamemory.com/docs/1890Census_Map.jpg

1900 by state the darker the higher the percentage

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...e_1900.svg.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...e_1990.svg.png

Old 01-13-2013, 01:28 PM

29,944 posts, read 27,375,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
And VA, NC, SC, and GA are Southern states. Many families from the Carolina's migrated to NY and NJ. Yes there was always there but I bet most cane through the great migration. Heck Chicago also had a size able Black population for a city in te Midwest before the great migration.
I think the point that 757Cities Southsider was making was that Blacks in the Northeast typically have roots in Southern states along the Eastern seaboard, while Blacks in Chicago (as well as Detroit) typically have roots in MS and AL.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
The northeast and the southeast makes the east coast but the southeast is part of the south. blacks going from the southeast to the northeast is going from the south to northeast. In fact the census don't define the entire east coast together as a region.

Im not sure what your point is. As far as what the "census defines as" ...it would be better to think for self sometimes and use the census while using common sense. Still I dont see what point youre trying to make.

Fact. In 1910, about 90% of African Americans lived in the South, yes there were blacks up north but the majority of blacks up north ancestry came from that great migration out the south. From 1910 to 1970 six million blacks moved out the south. "In 1900, only 740,000 African Americans lived outside the South, just 8 percent of the nation's total black population. By 1970, more than 10.6 million African Americans lived outside the South, 47 percent of the nation's total."

Again I still dont get your point...also percentages can be misleading. Unless you have a point youre trying to make Im not going to start posting a whole bunch of stats. If you are trying to say something then maybe I can explain clearer if I know what youre saying. Did you read the link in my last post "Slavery in New York"?

Great Migration (African American) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

but lets go back to 1870, 1870 black%

Alabama 47.7%
Florida 48.8%
Georgia 46.0%
Louisiana 50.1%
Mississippi 53.7%
South Carolina 58.9%
Virginia 41.9%

New York 1.2%
Pennsylvania 1.9%
Illinois 1.1%
New Jersey 3.4%
Ohio 2.4%
Indiana 2.0%
Michigan 0.9%

What was Harlem know for? Jazz, where did jazz come from? the south. What was Detroit know for? R&B, where did R&B come from? the south. What was St Louis know for? the Blues, where did the blues come from? the south. Blacks migrated and change the culture of those cities.

1890 black density map

http://www.virginiamemory.com/docs/1890Census_Map.jpg

1900 by state the darker the higher the percentage

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...e_1900.svg.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...e_1990.svg.png

Im not sure what your point is.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think the point that 757Cities Southsider was making was that Blacks in the Northeast typically have roots in Southern states along the Eastern seaboard, while Blacks in Chicago (as well as Detroit) typically have roots in MS and AL.
Yes, yes, that is the point...as they say lastly, the large portion of the Blacks in Cali came from LA and TX and other Deep South states but mainly those two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or