U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 04:19 PM

29,902 posts, read 27,345,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
Yes, yes, that is the point...as they say lastly, the large portion of the Blacks in Cali came from LA and TX and other Deep South states but mainly those two.
Yep. Here's a map that pretty much break it down. The reverse migration patterns largely correspond to the first great migration patterns:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 04:28 PM

867 posts, read 1,087,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yep. Here's a map that pretty much break it down. The reverse migration patterns largely correspond to the first great migration patterns:
Looks like people from Alabama mustve been trying to go ANYwhere that wasnt Alabama. I wonder if those people are moving to WV for business or because theyre are from there though? Or are they part of that DC MSA part of WV...

Old 01-13-2013, 05:48 PM

18,637 posts, read 27,047,623 times
Quote:
I think the point that 757Cities Southsider was making was that Blacks in the Northeast typically have roots in Southern states along the Eastern seaboard, while Blacks in Chicago (as well as Detroit) typically have roots in MS and AL.
I never argued against that in the first place and yes that map is old. I posted that in here about a few years ago. I think there was an updated map.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
What are you trying to say? You do realize that the East Coast goes from Florida to Maine, right? The popular "Northeast" is not the entire East Coast. You do realize that MARYLAND, Virginia, and North Carolina held the majority of slaves before and after they started shipping people off to MS/AL/KY,right? And that ol southern slave state of Maryland is the home of Harriet Tubman (of Underground Railroad fame) and the ever so distinct, Frederick Douglass.

Chicago is decent...but NY city and state probably always had more Blacks, first and foremost for this reason---->>>Slavery in New York. Plus, before the "Great Migration" Blacks continouslly poured into NY especially from the Underground Railroad. But yeah, large portions of Blacks also migrated during the "Great Migration" also...and from the Caribbean. But before the "first Great Migration" in 1910 around 1838-50 James Weeks (from Virginia) was already establishing Weeksville, Brooklyn, this venture is one reason why Brooklyn became "The Borough"...especially for Blacks. After the draft riots it was a refuge from NY (Manhattan). Brooklyn was its own city, before it merged with NYC. Some people seem to forget NYs "New Amsterdam/Netherlands" past. The REAL "New" York is the original shire of Yorktown, Va.
Just as it says. That a great portion of the northeast black population came from the Southeastern states and a great portion of Chicago and the Midwest Black population came from the Delta and the Southeast as well.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I never argued against that in the first place and yes that map is old. I posted that in here about a few years ago. I think there was an updated map.
In this post, it seems like you were arguing that just as many people from states like AL and MS migrated to the Northeast which isn't quite correct.

And I'm aware that that map is a bit outdated, but the point yet remains.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:31 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,426,326 times
Quote:
Yes. An even more interesting question is do Black Southerners have more in common with White Southerners or Black Northerners?

As to the question at hand, there is a common cultural theme for most African Americans, regardless of region. Now the accents are definitely going to differ, but you'll find commonalities with cuisine (soul food), religion (Baptist, Methodist, Pentecostal, etc.), music (R&B, Gospel, Hip Hop, etc.), etc. with a bit of regional variations.
Always with the logical posts!

Old 01-13-2013, 06:47 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,541,509 times
Could we add 2010 to that map sequence, it's really interesting.

A story about individual differences and about the difficulty of unraveling race and region : So I was recently in a small meeting in Oakland with a group that was mostly African-American. A recent white southern migrant to California was talking about how she missed the foods of the south, couldn't get the food she considered celebratory for New Years'--ham, fatback, other stuff. Some of the African-Americans in the room responded enthusiastically, but one man said he wanted to eat chicken and salad on New Years'. Such a Californian that guy!

Just because somebody, or somebody's family is from someplace doesn't mean they want to be associated with it. A lot of people want nothing to do with that country or region.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post

A story about individual differences and about the difficulty of unraveling race and region : So I was recently in a small meeting in Oakland with a group that was mostly African-American. A recent white southern migrant to California was talking about how she missed the foods of the south, couldn't get the food she considered celebratory for New Years'--ham, fatback, other stuff. Some of the African-Americans in the room responded enthusiastically, but one man said he wanted to eat chicken and salad on New Years'. Such a Californian that guy!

Just because somebody, or somebody's family is from someplace doesn't mean they want to be associated with it. A lot of people want nothing to do with that country or region.
Collard greens and black-eyed peas.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
In this post, it seems like you were arguing that just as many people from states like AL and MS migrated to the Northeast which isn't quite correct.

And I'm aware that that map is a bit outdated, but the point yet remains.
No. You misunderstood. He mentioned that many people from the Northeast came from Southern states. I said the same happened for Chicago and the Midwest as well.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:05 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,798,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post

I think that story has more to do with personal tastes in food than it does regional affiliation. I live here in the south, and I know people who ordered a pizza for their New Year's dinner.

The point is that there are always going to be some exceptions, but, generally speaking, the South's influence on American black culture can't be denied. They may not directly choose to recognize it, but that doesn't mean they're free from said influence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or