U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-14-2013, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Hampton Roads, VA.
867 posts, read 1,087,385 times
Reputation: 607

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No. You misunderstood. He mentioned that many people from the Northeast came from Southern states. I said the same happened for Chicago and the Midwest as well.
Nah, you was sayin how the accent on the WS of Chi was strong and how you thought you was in Jackson MS when you heard it. I said thats probably because thats where most of the Chis Black folks came from. When you say "Southern States" I take it you think everyone sounds the same in the "South"? If that is what youre implying then youd be wrong. So that would be one reason why you couldnt apply the Northeast to the Midwest the "Southern states" of influence on each region. Another reason would be due to the reason I said earlier...NY had their own Black population from slavery since the 1600s...speakin however they was speakin up there already. Another reason still would be African countries of origin, I guess, and who they would be learnin to speak english from (aristocratic English vs Welsh/Dutch etc). NY early on had far more multi national European immigrants, not that any of them sound like the people in the countries they came from either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I thought you guys had a disagreement about specific migration patterns from South to North, but now I see it was a disagreement about accents and such. So you're saying that Blacks in Chicago seem to have more noticeable remnants of a Southern accent than Blacks in the Northeast?
That is pretty much the reasoning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-14-2013, 01:41 PM
 
Location: worldwide
696 posts, read 880,397 times
Reputation: 481
All African American's were slaves at one point in history with roots in the South.

Eventually they migrated everywhere else in the country later on through out time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2013, 02:28 PM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,931 posts, read 11,796,452 times
Reputation: 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
All African American's were slaves at one point in history with roots in the South.

Eventually they migrated everywhere else in the country later on through out time.
Lies. I was never a slave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2013, 04:16 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,637 posts, read 27,042,193 times
Reputation: 9577
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
Nah, you was sayin how the accent on the WS of Chi was strong and how you thought you was in Jackson MS when you heard it. I said thats probably because thats where most of the Chis Black folks came from. When you say "Southern States" I take it you think everyone sounds the same in the "South"? If that is what youre implying then youd be wrong. So that would be one reason why you couldnt apply the Northeast to the Midwest the "Southern states" of influence on each region
Well you know what they say about assume. No, that is not what I was implying. I already know that people from Mississippi sound different from people in North Carolina. Hell, people in Dallas sound different than people from Houston. I already know that there are differences within the region. I also already knew the reasoning on why I thought people in Chicago sounded like they were in Jackson, MS and that it came to no surprise to me when I visit my family and friends in the city. I don't know why you are repeating this to me when I am already aware of all of this and have mentioned this in similar threads on this forum.

As for your second part, I am aware of that as well on why Northeastern Blacks sound different than Blacks from other region because of the heavy influence of European immigrants.


Quote:
That is pretty much the reasoning.
No. It's not. I never disagreed with you at all. I just never specified when I made my comment because of circumstances at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2013, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,637 posts, read 27,042,193 times
Reputation: 9577
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
All African American's were slaves at one point in history with roots in the South.

Eventually they migrated everywhere else in the country later on through out time.
Not all had roots in the South. Not all had ancestors that were slaves. But the vast majority was though and about the African part........I just won't get into that on this thread. Also, like Nairobi, I was never a slave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2013, 05:24 PM
 
Location: NC/IL/MI
3,625 posts, read 7,168,190 times
Reputation: 1675
The black Chicago accent is like the bastard child of the deep south accent. Similar but You (well at least I) can tell the difference
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2013, 05:30 PM
 
Location: NC/IL/MI
3,625 posts, read 7,168,190 times
Reputation: 1675
Oh And lets not forget, a lot of blacks in New York and the Northeast are Carribean and West African so there wont be much southern influence in their speech patterns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2013, 05:56 PM
 
Location: Hampton Roads, VA.
867 posts, read 1,087,385 times
Reputation: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well you know what they say about assume. No, that is not what I was implying. I already know that people from Mississippi sound different from people in North Carolina. Hell, people in Dallas sound different than people from Houston. I already know that there are differences within the region. I also already knew the reasoning on why I thought people in Chicago sounded like they were in Jackson, MS and that it came to no surprise to me when I visit my family and friends in the city. I don't know why you are repeating this to me when I am already aware of all of this and have mentioned this in similar threads on this forum.

As for your second part, I am aware of that as well on why Northeastern Blacks sound different than Blacks from other region because of the heavy influence of European immigrants.



No. It's not. I never disagreed with you at all. I just never specified when I made my comment because of circumstances at the time.
I dont know what you say on similar threads on this forum. I do know that when you said "the same argument could be made for the Northeast"...that is the part I intially was addressing. I didnt assume anything.One.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2013, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,637 posts, read 27,042,193 times
Reputation: 9577
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
I dont know what you say on similar threads on this forum. I do know that when you said "the same argument could be made for the Northeast"...that is the part I intially was addressing. I didnt assume anything.One.
And when I made that comment, I was speaking specifically on Southern states, not a particular region. I already knew that Northeastern Blacks didnt mostly come from the Mississippi and Alabama and Arkansas areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top