U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 04:48 AM

346 posts, read 841,043 times

Advertisements

Move to Miami. That simple. I'm from the San Jose area and visited a family member in Miami once a couple years ago.

Cost of living and doing business is cheaper as you said. Much more interesting city with more culture and diversity. Beautiful women everywhere. San Jose errr not so good here man! And I dunno who told you SF had more beautiful women then Miami? Whomever said that needs to get their eyes checked . San Fran isn't known for their lookers, but better than San Jose I will say. The Bay Area really doesn't emphasize looks much for better or worse.

Miami would just be so much more fun. People in San Jose largely work long hours and go home. Nightlife is atrocious here and it's not a very social city. Whereas in Miami you can walk down Lincoln Road in Miami Beach on Tuesday night and see people sitting at outdoors patios socializing etc.

If I knew I could have a job lined up and be self sufficient down there I'd move in an instant! San Jose is a quiet, safe, family and working city. It's a very functional place. Not a good place to be single and enjoy yourself. But you can happy both places or anywhere for that matter. Take that's for what it's worth and make the right decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 12:31 AM

630 posts, read 840,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-sol View Post
Interesting responses so far. I haven't seen anyone stick up for NorCal! I am surprised!

Can anyone speak to the status of the economy currently in each place? Better? Worse? Hangin' in there?
Miami is your answer! It's the place to be with great weather, culture, growing economy, nice scenery and vibrant urban core.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:36 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,076,844 times
Even the 2 out and Choose Austin Texas. Its a Liberal Island in Texas full of Atheists, lots of young people and the Tech Companies in Austin are great.

Texas also has no State Income tax and is very business tax friendly.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Even the 2 out and Choose Austin Texas. Its a Liberal Island in Texas full of Atheists, lots of young people and the Tech Companies in Austin are great.

Texas also has no State Income tax and is very business tax friendly.
That is a great alternative! Head to Austin!

Old 01-17-2013, 12:17 AM

195 posts, read 296,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-sol View Post
I'm really torn as to which area to move to, so I've come here for additional input.

I'm going to have the opportunity to move to either Northern California or Southern Florida. Specifically the San Jose area or the Miami area. I will literally have to choose between 80 west and 95 south.

On to my status: I'm single with no wife and no kids and don't plan on having either. I'm selfish with my time and money. I work in technology, but not the glamorous OS-developing side. I have a small business that I'd like to continue in whichever area I end up in. I can live on very little but prefer not to. I like to do stuff and not be stuck inside because it's cold/snowy/sleety outside. I don't care much for crotchety conservatives and I am a confirmed atheist.

The more I compare these two areas, the more difficult the choice is. Obviously, considering a background in technology, San Jose is the winner. San Jose is to technology what the south is to fried chicken. However, I've lived and worked in California before and it was a little piece of hell in the central valley. High taxes, high crime, and poor mass transit (which is surprising for such a forward-thinking state). In fact, if you open a small business in CA, no matter how much you make each year, the state wants $800. That's a good way to strangle your economy, California. Fuel and food and insurance are also more expensive, and unfortunately, I have a 6-cylinder car (won't make that mistake again). I've been watching the weather out there thus far and it isn't much warmer than where I am now. I have no desire to live in the cold. Also, given California's high cost of living, to add employees would be expensive and cause an eventual rise in price which keeps the place expensive. And in Silicone Valley, I expect that I would have a lot of competition seeing as how there are already a ton of tech firms there (although I heard from a very reliable source that a few of them are eyeing land in Sacramento which is a place I will NEVER live in). The use of Spanish isn't much of an issue. Randomly, the earth may shake, and it may be violent, and much death may occur. BART is small and doesn't go enough places. This is probably related to the fact that they chose technology that is expensive to expand and maintain. However, the people are (supposed to be) more liberal and it is a solidly liberal state, and that says a lot. Big plus.

Florida, however, is more small business friendly although I do not speak Spanish nor have any intention to. The weather is warm year round and there's free humidity thrown in during the middle of the year. Gas and food seem to be near average (for the southeast at least). You can reach much of the Carribbean and South America from MIA. Hurricanes can be predicted days in advance. The Miami-area's tech industry is just in its infancy (which could be good) while San Jose's is very well established. I know there's some crime down there -- enough to warrant multiple appearances on "The First 48".

I've also been told Miami has more beautiful women than the Bay Area except for San Francisco. San Jose = Man Jose?

Southern Florida, however, is still in Florida, which is a red state and still in the south. No two ways about that one. I doubt I'll find a lot of forward- and progressive thinkers there. Big minus.

BTW, presently I am in the DMV area. DC, Maryland, Virginia. It's too aristocratic and stuffy in VA (however I'll give them props because it is VERY safe), too corrupt in DC (Soviet Nigeria: what happens when corrupt blacks and corrupt whites run a city by committee) and MD isn't for me. This is a fine place for someone who wants a "good gub-men job wif benefits", and that's not me. This place is a ripoff.

Alright, toss me all your thoughts. I've been intentionally easier on Miami because I see a lot of anti-Miami comments around.
If you hate the cold, you will hate the heat even more. You can still jog in the Bay area with a good sweater, here in Florida the humidity is unbearable.

Public transportation is mostly used by the poor and illegals. Metrorail takes you nowhere and the downtown area where metrorail has the best service is full homeless people so you are better off driving. Besides with the nasty hot weather and the heavy summer thunderstorms it is not practical to walk in South Florida.

South beach is the only walkable place(Brickel is a joke, It's a huge parking lot with a few scattered buildings) South beach is full of gay men, prostitutes and thugs.

I don't know the Bay area that well but it can't be worse than Miami.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:49 AM

14,111 posts, read 22,747,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold on to the Nights View Post
If you hate the cold, you will hate the heat even more. You can still jog in the Bay area with a good sweater, here in Florida the humidity is unbearable.

Public transportation is mostly used by the poor and illegals. Metrorail takes you nowhere and the downtown area where metrorail has the best service is full homeless people so you are better off driving. Besides with the nasty hot weather and the heavy summer thunderstorms it is not practical to walk in South Florida.

South beach is the only walkable place(Brickel is a joke, It's a huge parking lot with a few scattered buildings) South beach is full of gay men, prostitutes and thugs.

This post doesn't have an anti-South Florida bias at all.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:30 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,141,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
If you think the mass transit system in San Jose isn't great, the system in Miami is even weaker, except maybe in Miami Beach.
The transit is much worse on Miami Beach. The bus system is the same on the beaches and on the mainland, but the trains are definitely better downtown.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:56 PM

195 posts, read 296,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
This post doesn't have an anti-South Florida bias at all.
How is so? tell me what is not true in my post?

is the 90+ degree weather nicer than the Bay area weather? I don't think so

Don't we get heavy summer thunderstorms and tropical storms on a regular basis?

Isn't downtown full of homeless?

iSn't Washington avenue full of prostitutes?

Isn't south beach full of gays skating in daisy dukes and thugs with big chains and jewelry harassing women?

Isn't Brickel a concrete jungle where you have 3 parking garages for every building?

Isn't most Brickel deprived of businesses except for crappy expensive restaurants?

BY the way I live in Miami so it's not like I'm an outsider bashing a city I visited for two weeks.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:15 PM

181 posts, read 272,969 times
I've been to San Jose a few times. I can think of 100 other cities I'd rather live in off the top of my head.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold on to the Nights View Post

Miami is paradise due to beautiful climate, scenery(north side), diverse people and big city amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or