U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 11:43 AM

91 posts, read 226,030 times

Advertisements

I'm really torn as to which area to move to, so I've come here for additional input.

I'm going to have the opportunity to move to either Northern California or Southern Florida. Specifically the San Jose area or the Miami area. I will literally have to choose between 80 west and 95 south.

On to my status: I'm single with no wife and no kids and don't plan on having either. I'm selfish with my time and money. I work in technology, but not the glamorous OS-developing side. I have a small business that I'd like to continue in whichever area I end up in. I can live on very little but prefer not to. I like to do stuff and not be stuck inside because it's cold/snowy/sleety outside. I don't care much for crotchety conservatives and I am a confirmed atheist.

The more I compare these two areas, the more difficult the choice is. Obviously, considering a background in technology, San Jose is the winner. San Jose is to technology what the south is to fried chicken. However, I've lived and worked in California before and it was a little piece of hell in the central valley. High taxes, high crime, and poor mass transit (which is surprising for such a forward-thinking state). In fact, if you open a small business in CA, no matter how much you make each year, the state wants $800. That's a good way to strangle your economy, California. Fuel and food and insurance are also more expensive, and unfortunately, I have a 6-cylinder car (won't make that mistake again). I've been watching the weather out there thus far and it isn't much warmer than where I am now. I have no desire to live in the cold. Also, given California's high cost of living, to add employees would be expensive and cause an eventual rise in price which keeps the place expensive. And in Silicone Valley, I expect that I would have a lot of competition seeing as how there are already a ton of tech firms there (although I heard from a very reliable source that a few of them are eyeing land in Sacramento which is a place I will NEVER live in). The use of Spanish isn't much of an issue. Randomly, the earth may shake, and it may be violent, and much death may occur. BART is small and doesn't go enough places. This is probably related to the fact that they chose technology that is expensive to expand and maintain. However, the people are (supposed to be) more liberal and it is a solidly liberal state, and that says a lot. Big plus.

Florida, however, is more small business friendly although I do not speak Spanish nor have any intention to. The weather is warm year round and there's free humidity thrown in during the middle of the year. Gas and food seem to be near average (for the southeast at least). You can reach much of the Carribbean and South America from MIA. Hurricanes can be predicted days in advance. The Miami-area's tech industry is just in its infancy (which could be good) while San Jose's is very well established. I know there's some crime down there -- enough to warrant multiple appearances on "The First 48".

I've also been told Miami has more beautiful women than the Bay Area except for San Francisco. San Jose = Man Jose?

Southern Florida, however, is still in Florida, which is a red state and still in the south. No two ways about that one. I doubt I'll find a lot of forward- and progressive thinkers there. Big minus.

BTW, presently I am in the DMV area. DC, Maryland, Virginia. It's too aristocratic and stuffy in VA (however I'll give them props because it is VERY safe), too corrupt in DC (Soviet Nigeria: what happens when corrupt blacks and corrupt whites run a city by committee) and MD isn't for me. This is a fine place for someone who wants a "good gub-men job wif benefits", and that's not me. This place is a ripoff.

Alright, toss me all your thoughts. I've been intentionally easier on Miami because I see a lot of anti-Miami comments around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 06:10 AM

21,182 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-sol View Post
Florida, however, is more small business friendly although I do not speak Spanish nor have any intention to.

Southern Florida, however, is still in Florida, which is a red state and still in the south. No two ways about that one. I doubt I'll find a lot of forward- and progressive thinkers there. Big minus.

I've been intentionally easier on Miami because I see a lot of anti-Miami comments around.
I highlighted your unfortunate/inaccurate quotes so as to address them specifically, as a South Florida native (Hollywood/Broward County).

English is the first language in South Florida, and quotes from those who say such enlightening things while shaking their head in disapproval as "it's all Spanish down there" are basically bigots who feel uncomfortable being in the minority in terms of demographics. Miami proper is a melting pot with just 15% of it's population being non-Hispanic Caucasian and 70% of Hispanic origin, many of whom are second or third generation and not exactly "off the boat" as many like to paint the picture. It's a fairly sophisticated city and those who call it "Third World" clearly don't know the definition. The suburbs just to the north (Broward County) become more Caucasian majority if that affects you personally in some way.

Florida is actually a Blue State and increasingly so. The urban areas are quite "blue" as partially evidenced by South Florida. Dade County (Miami) was 62% for Obama while Broward County/Fort Lauderdale (just to the north) went 67% for Obama and Palm Beach County (just north of Broward County) was at 58% for Obama.

In terms of progressive thinkers, I find it difficult to believe that areas where 40%-60% of residents holding Bachelor's degrees or higher aren't forward-thinking, which is the case for desirable areas of Miami you would most likely call home.

Lastly, as a suggestion I wouldn't be so quick to categorize a place one hasn't visited and knows only negatives from anonymous haters on an internet chat forum. As the saying goes, "haters are going to hate" and one rarely hears from those who want to talk up the positives. Good luck in the process and hopefully you make an informed decision versus weighing hearsay.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:17 AM

12,193 posts, read 10,407,297 times
Yeah, Florida sucks for the most part, but San Jose isn't very exciting either. If I had to live in Florida, I'd definitely choose Miami, while SJ's best asset is its proximity to SF & Oakland. If I were in your situation, single and looking with no family ties, I'd choose Miami. And Miami has more beautiful women than the Bay Area including San Francisco, let's at least establish that fact.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:15 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,541,069 times
If you think the mass transit system in San Jose isn't great, the system in Miami is even weaker, except maybe in Miami Beach. If you planned it carefully, you could live and work along the Caltrain line in the San Jose area, though you'd probably want a car as well, or at minimum a bicycle. Also the low housing cost of Miami is deceptive, unless you're ready to swelter all summer, you'll incur an air conditioning cost that will erode yur cost advantage. San Jose will have an earthquake sooner or later, Miami will probably have a hurricane.

Like many on this list you want a place with good public services, low taxes, lots of business activity, low housing cost, and ideal weather/ environment. These things don't come together. When they do (e.g. San Francisco in the 70's), the cost of living gets bid up fast, because it's such an attractive place to live.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:59 AM

22,113 posts, read 23,627,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-sol View Post
I'm really torn as to which area to move to, so I've come here for additional input.

I'm going to have the opportunity to move to either Northern California or Southern Florida. Specifically the San Jose area or the Miami area. I will literally have to choose between 80 west and 95 south.

On to my status: I'm single with no wife and no kids and don't plan on having either. I'm selfish with my time and money. I work in technology, but not the glamorous OS-developing side. I have a small business that I'd like to continue in whichever area I end up in. I can live on very little but prefer not to. I like to do stuff and not be stuck inside because it's cold/snowy/sleety outside. I don't care much for crotchety conservatives and I am a confirmed atheist.

The more I compare these two areas, the more difficult the choice is. Obviously, considering a background in technology, San Jose is the winner. San Jose is to technology what the south is to fried chicken. However, I've lived and worked in California before and it was a little piece of hell in the central valley. High taxes, high crime, and poor mass transit (which is surprising for such a forward-thinking state). In fact, if you open a small business in CA, no matter how much you make each year, the state wants $800. That's a good way to strangle your economy, California. Fuel and food and insurance are also more expensive, and unfortunately, I have a 6-cylinder car (won't make that mistake again). I've been watching the weather out there thus far and it isn't much warmer than where I am now. I have no desire to live in the cold. Also, given California's high cost of living, to add employees would be expensive and cause an eventual rise in price which keeps the place expensive. And in Silicone Valley, I expect that I would have a lot of competition seeing as how there are already a ton of tech firms there (although I heard from a very reliable source that a few of them are eyeing land in Sacramento which is a place I will NEVER live in). The use of Spanish isn't much of an issue. Randomly, the earth may shake, and it may be violent, and much death may occur. BART is small and doesn't go enough places. This is probably related to the fact that they chose technology that is expensive to expand and maintain. However, the people are (supposed to be) more liberal and it is a solidly liberal state, and that says a lot. Big plus.

Florida, however, is more small business friendly although I do not speak Spanish nor have any intention to. The weather is warm year round and there's free humidity thrown in during the middle of the year. Gas and food seem to be near average (for the southeast at least). You can reach much of the Carribbean and South America from MIA. Hurricanes can be predicted days in advance. The Miami-area's tech industry is just in its infancy (which could be good) while San Jose's is very well established. I know there's some crime down there -- enough to warrant multiple appearances on "The First 48".

I've also been told Miami has more beautiful women than the Bay Area except for San Francisco. San Jose = Man Jose?

BTW, presently I am in the DMV area. DC, Maryland, Virginia. It's too aristocratic and stuffy in VA (however I'll give them props because it is VERY safe), too corrupt in DC (Soviet Nigeria: what happens when corrupt blacks and corrupt whites run a city by committee) and MD isn't for me. This is a fine place for someone who wants a "good gub-men job wif benefits", and that's not me. This place is a ripoff.

Alright, toss me all your thoughts. I've been intentionally easier on Miami because I see a lot of anti-Miami comments around.
Pretty much all the negatives you posted for Florida aren't quite true, so I guess that means South Florida for you?

Old 01-13-2013, 12:20 PM

22,113 posts, read 23,627,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
If you think the mass transit system in San Jose isn't great, the system in Miami is even weaker, except maybe in Miami Beach. If you planned it carefully, you could live and work along the Caltrain line in the San Jose area, though you'd probably want a car as well, or at minimum a bicycle. Also the low housing cost of Miami is deceptive, unless you're ready to swelter all summer, you'll incur an air conditioning cost that will erode yur cost advantage. San Jose will have an earthquake sooner or later, Miami will probably have a hurricane.

Like many on this list you want a place with good public services, low taxes, lots of business activity, low housing cost, and ideal weather/ environment. These things don't come together. When they do (e.g. San Francisco in the 70's), the cost of living gets bid up fast, because it's such an attractive place to live.
The ridership for Miami's Metrorail is significantly larger than that of San Jose's light rail and even more so when you combine the numbers from the Miami Metromover (which is a people mover system) while the commuter rail that serves San Jose has a higher ridership than the commuter that serves Miami with the numbers overall still going to Miami.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:08 PM

630 posts, read 840,276 times
If I were you, I'd pick Miami, even though I don't know much about San Jose. I do know the weather is much better and warmer in Miami. There are alot of nice women who are single in Miami. Miami does have a large downtown area with some of the best skyline in the country. The nightlife and the arts are great in Dt. and South Beach. Miami is an exciting city with all kinds of cultures mixed in. The cost is moderate, not cheap or expensive, depending what of places you're looking for.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:37 PM

154 posts, read 320,758 times
I wouldn't prefer moving to either one but in my experience Miami is a lot more lively than San Jose or any city in Northern California.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:51 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,541,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The ridership for Miami's Metrorail is significantly larger than that of San Jose's light rail and even more so when you combine the numbers from the Miami Metromover (which is a people mover system) while the commuter rail that serves San Jose has a higher ridership than the commuter that serves Miami with the numbers overall still going to Miami.
It is closer than I thought, much. Systemwide (including buses, which carry most of the riders in both areas), San Jose urbanized area residents take 30 transit trips per capita per year, Miami area passengers take 31! That doesn't include Caltrain, I don't know about Tri-Rail. Only a portion of Caltrain passengers are in Santa Clara County, many are just in San Mateo and San Francisco Counties. In San Jose, the busiest line is actually a rapid bus corridor, the light rail is indeed pretty weak.

These are both pretty low numbers, in the Los Angeles urbanized area, for example, residents take 60 transit trips per capita per year.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:05 PM

91 posts, read 226,030 times
Interesting responses so far. I haven't seen anyone stick up for NorCal! I am surprised!

Can anyone speak to the status of the economy currently in each place? Better? Worse? Hangin' in there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or