U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these to move to with my kids ?
MIAMI, FLORIDA (one of many suburbs in the area) 4 36.36%
Wilmington, North Carolina 3 27.27%
Neither - some other place - please post what that would be 5 45.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 04:55 PM

33 posts, read 93,669 times

Advertisements

I hope someone with some knowledge on this can help out with any advice !!!

I am a single mom (still dating and would like to find a man! so don't want to be in a place where everyone is married with kids.
My kids are 10, 15, 17. The oldest is going off to college. I will need to find a middle school (6th grade) and high school (11th grade) for fall 2013.
I have been struggling with finding the right place and could use some feedback - I can live anywhere in the U.S.A.

These are some of my requirements I am seeking:
I don't like extreme cold, not big on snow either, my favorite is tropical weather but Hawaii is too much $.
I like friendly, warm, genuine people who are not plastic, hostile or rude.
I prefer a ethnically diverse area (not all white people, but all types - black, asian, hispanic, etc.)
I want to be close to a beach.
Good schools (I am looking for the best performing arts schools/charter)
Good christian non-denominational churches (prefer those larger mega types)
Close to the nightlife/dance places (places to go out on the weekend)
Good shopping (from good malls to Whole Foods, etc.)
Traffic not horrendous
Stuff for kids to do (museums, park, whatever)
Crime not so bad that you feel unsafe leaving your house
Great food/restaurants/entertainment
Cute men !!

OK well I am open to ANY suggestions - but have been trying to compare two places. I have NOT been to either of them, and would like your feedback on them, along with any other ideas/suggestions/other places you might feel fit that better that I should maybe check out ?

So far these are the options:

MIAMI FLORIDA (I am not sure about all the subdivisions, as it seems huge, but here is a list of some I have come across):
*Coral Gables
*Kendall
*Miramar
*Pembroke Pines
*Miami Lakes
*Miami Beach
*Hollywood

VS.

Wilmington, NC

If you have been to either, and have any ideas/advice on this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for your prompt reply...planning to move this June and need to figure out schools, etc.

**I would prefer your written response vs. the poll - but if you choose the 'other' selection, please write what that choice you feel should be. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 05:18 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,804,913 times
Why Wilmington? It's a fine place, but not really an alternative to Miami.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:01 AM

6,523 posts, read 7,465,981 times
Miami does not seem like the kind of town that would be great for raising children. South Florida is crowded with people from the northeast who moved there for weather, retirement or jobs. The people of the northeast (no offense intended) are not "warm, friendly and genuine" as yyou say your looking for. Traffic in south florida is terrible, I-95 through that area is a death run, think about 90 year old yankees, spring breakers, and wanderers from every corner of the northeast all on the same road. Some driving 100 miles an hour, some driving 35 miles an hour and some not sure who or where they even are anymore. Its plain scary. You are much more likely to find the things your looking for in North Carolina than you are in south Florida. South Florida may be a nice place to visit, but not somewhere I would want to live. I live in the south and we have many many people moving here from Florida because of all the things I described. They are called "halfbacks" here because many of them moved there from the north and moved halfway back because they did not like Florida.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:12 AM

7,385 posts, read 13,236,603 times
Since you like warm and beaches, why not check out Hampton Roads area?

Old 01-13-2013, 08:26 AM

154 posts, read 321,358 times
Miami is not a good place to raise kids

Old 01-13-2013, 11:30 AM

34,691 posts, read 33,695,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutblue View Post
I hope someone with some knowledge on this can help out with any advice !!!

I am a single mom (still dating and would like to find a man! so don't want to be in a place where everyone is married with kids.
My kids are 10, 15, 17. The oldest is going off to college. I will need to find a middle school (6th grade) and high school (11th grade) for fall 2013.
I have been struggling with finding the right place and could use some feedback - I can live anywhere in the U.S.A.

These are some of my requirements I am seeking:
I don't like extreme cold, not big on snow either, my favorite is tropical weather but Hawaii is too much $.
I prefer a ethnically diverse area (not all white people, but all types - black, asian, hispanic, etc.)
Traffic not horrendous
Cute men !!

OK well I am open to ANY suggestions - but have been trying to compare two places. I have NOT been to either of them, and would like your feedback on them, along with any other ideas/suggestions/other places you might feel fit that better that I should maybe check out ?

So far these are the options:

MIAMI FLORIDA (I am not sure about all the subdivisions, as it seems huge, but here is a list of some I have come across):
*Coral Gables
*Kendall
*Miramar
*Pembroke Pines
*Miami Lakes
*Miami Beach
*Hollywood

VS.

Wilmington, NC

If you have been to either, and have any ideas/advice on this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for your prompt reply...planning to move this June and need to figure out schools, etc.

**I would prefer your written response vs. the poll - but if you choose the 'other' selection, please write what that choice you feel should be. Thanks.
Shouldn't you be moving to the best place where you can find a job? I don't see that on the list...or is that why you are looking for a husband?

Old 01-13-2013, 12:34 PM

6,523 posts, read 7,465,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Shouldn't you be moving to the best place where you can find a job? I don't see that on the list...or is that why you are looking for a husband?
Maybe the OP has money or works from home. Even if that is why she is looking for a husband that is between her and whoever she meets. In fact that is why women got married for the last 2000 years, only the last 25 has our society changed this reality of men being the only provider. The only issue with this in 2013 is the reality that most men cannot earn enough money to be a sole provider today, but there still are a few privelaged folks who earn that kind of money. I still think Miami is not a good place to raise kids, and looking eleswhere may be to her advantage.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:21 PM

Default Advice appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Since you like warm and beaches, why not check out Hampton Roads area?
Where is the Hampton Roads area, in which state/area ???

Any suggestions of places to check out additionally ?

Old 01-15-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Maybe the OP has money or works from home. Even if that is why she is looking for a husband that is between her and whoever she meets. In fact that is why women got married for the last 2000 years, only the last 25 has our society changed this reality of men being the only provider. The only issue with this in 2013 is the reality that most men cannot earn enough money to be a sole provider today, but there still are a few privelaged folks who earn that kind of money. I still think Miami is not a good place to raise kids, and looking eleswhere may be to her advantage.
Thanks Daniel, yes I agree with your comeback...

I didn't appreciate the snide remark from the woman previously (Laura C)....its just like a woman to tear another woman down instead of support one another in today's world !!

Old 01-15-2013, 04:44 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,269,803 times
Corpus Christi, Texas, is a town nobody talks about much in this forum. Average cost of home about $130K (about half of Wilmington's cost), but rents are almost as high. Unemployment rate = 5.8% (US = 7.8), you can always find a job in Corpus Christi, but not necessarily a good one. With rare exceptions, Spanish never required for a job. A 3 hour drive to Mexico for cheap dental work. or to San Antonio for an urban fix..

---Four degrees hotter and drier than Wilmington in summer (94) but ten degrees warmer in winter (67).
---Texas welcomes people, not stuck up at all. Corpus is a "new" town, compared to "old"
Wilmington
---2/3 Hispanic, only 4% black. Your kids will learn Spanish, if they want to.
---Within a bicycle ride of Padre Island
---No idea.
---No idea, Hey, the whole city is "the body of Christ". Modest megachurch, 6,000 avg.
---Probably better than average for town this size. (300,000)
---No idea.
Traffic not horrendous
---Always seemed very uncrowded to me
---No idea
---Crime rate about the same as Wilmington NC
---No idea
Cute men !!
---Lots of oil field workers.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-15-2013 at 05:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or