U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 07:01 PM

133 posts, read 463,279 times

Advertisements

Yeah, you could find place that look like PEI (I agree to the comments above, and might add the Duluth, MN and Ithaca, NY areas to the mix), but nobody can beat PEI's seafood. Their super clean water, truly fringed winters, and surprisingly warm summers create a climate that can't be beat for oysters, mussels, lobster, and clams! Nothing in the US can compete.

Though, due to my Acadian ancestry, I'm a little biased.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 09:19 AM

470 posts, read 554,632 times
Default Several years ago I came upon

an article about Prince Edward Island and fell for the scenery in the pictures and enjoyed reading about it so much. I'd dearly love to visit, but since I live in the Deep South, I'm sure that will never happen. When I talked to my daughter and some others about it, they had never heard of PEI--just commented "Wow, wouldn't it be cold?" and looked at me like I'd lost my marbles. Well, sure...sometimes it's cold!

Old 07-14-2014, 11:28 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,397,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
I don't think the OP's pictures are the best representation of the place. The midwest doesn't have red sand ocean beaches like PEI. It's the pastoral coastal scenery conjured up from the book Anne of Green Gables that would match, not quite like a Nebraska cornfield or an Illinois soybean farm.

Tourism Prince Edward Island (PEI) - Canada - Official Guide
Not oceans, but lots of red sand/rock/steams & rivers in northern WI/MN and Upper Michigan, and Lake Superior is often a horizon-stretching backdrop:

Wisconsin:

Michigan:

Minnesota:

This is why the UP has been maybe the most-cited region on here so far.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:37 PM
Status: "Got the rocking modern neon sound" (set 9 days ago)

2,038 posts, read 1,991,711 times
Haha, well this thread is a little dated, but the pictures in the OP sort of remind me of Western MA, VT, and Upstate NY.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:41 PM

9,427 posts, read 18,327,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Not oceans, but lots of red sand/rock/steams & rivers in northern WI/MN and Upper Michigan, and Lake Superior is often a horizon-stretching backdrop:

Wisconsin:

Michigan:

Minnesota:

There is no denying that the Upper Great Lakes region is quite beautiful. There are some parallels as both PEI and upper Midwest were covered in glaciers and leaving behind iron red earth and sand deposits. PEI though seems to have a softer appearance where as the shores of Lake Superior looks more rugged and tree covered, more like Nova Scotia. I think PEI has its own distinctive quality of light being with its open pastoral expanses adjacent to the Atlantic, a bit hard to find even on the East Coast. PEI has many distinctions all its own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxGKSTPb0k0

Old 07-14-2014, 08:42 PM

9,427 posts, read 18,327,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post

Wisconsin:

Michigan:

Minnesota:

There is no denying that the Upper Great Lakes region is quite beautiful. There are some parallels as both PEI and upper Midwest were covered in glaciers and leaving behind iron red earth and sand deposits. PEI though seems to have a softer appearance where as the shores of Lake Superior looks more rugged and tree covered, more like Nova Scotia. I think PEI has its own distinctive quality of light being with its open pastoral expanses adjacent to the Atlantic, a bit hard to find even on the East Coast. PEI has many distinctions all its own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxGKSTPb0k0

Old 07-15-2014, 12:57 AM

34,374 posts, read 41,463,803 times
You could find places along the Maine coast that meet your criteria.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=maine...iw=768&bih=484

It also has the convenience of being close to Canadas Maritimes if you get the urge to explore further.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:13 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,905,553 times
The OPs pictures do not really show it but besides the reddish beaches, what really what stands out for PEI is how heavily farmed and pastoral the island is. You actually have farms that go right down to the beaches. This is why PEI only partially looks like some of the places that people keep repeating like the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and Maine. The outstanding thing about the coastal areas of UP, Maine and New Brunswick is how heavily forested they are - they really look quite different from Prince Edward Island.

In a nutshell, Prince Edward Island is famous for its open views across farmland and grassland, as well as its rural agricultural life not deep dark wild forests. Think "Anne of Green Gables" not "Paul Bunyan".

Old 07-15-2014, 08:36 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,397,432 times
Right - quite obviously there are no places exactly like PEI. The OP was asking for "Places in US that looks like Prince Edward Island (Canada)?", not exact replicas, because those do not exist. I posted the pictures above in response to this quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
I don't think the OP's pictures are the best representation of the place. The midwest doesn't have red sand ocean beaches like PEI. It's the pastoral coastal scenery conjured up from the book Anne of Green Gables that would match, not quite like a Nebraska cornfield or an Illinois soybean farm.

Tourism Prince Edward Island (PEI) - Canada - Official Guide
No one was talking about NE cornfields, they were citing the red-earth Iron Country of northern MI/WI/MN off Lake Superior. That, along with some areas of coastal Maine, are probably the best approximations of PEI that you'll be able to find in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or