Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 04:01 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,527,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think it would be safe to add those 3 cities/areas. Birmingham may be another city. Nashville may also be considered as well.
Add DFW to this as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 05:37 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,189,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Chicago is still a pretty racist place. It's not like this is some racial utopia, or anything resembling one. Also, Chicago's black population is the poorest out of any of the top 10 cities in this country. In fact, the only poorer minority are the Latino's in Phoenix.
ha, well I sure's hell never said Chicago was a racial utopia!! I know it's black population has a lot of poverty issues as well. I was just stating that the black population has an organized and vocal voice in politics, regardless of racism or income.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:44 AM

522 posts, read 622,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Philadelphia may be another city, as it is the metro where the first HBCU was created(now known as Cheyney State), has had Black folks in various positions, has another HBCU in the area(Lincoln University) and a long history in the area. It also is around 45% Black, if I'm not mistaken.
Philadelphia's a good example. The first American abolitionist society, Society for the Relief of Free Negroes Unlawfully Held in Bondage, was founded in Philadelphia and the African Methodist Episcopal Church was apparently founded there. Also early African-American businessman James Forten came from Philadelphia. Although more of a small-city Petersburg, Virginia looks to have a long and notable A-A history and I think is still mostly black.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Petersburg-Virginia.html
http://www.petersburghistory.org/

Old 01-21-2013, 12:57 AM

149 posts, read 261,196 times
i say any southern area, heck in some rural areas are mostly black. them northern city are a different breed of blacks.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:33 AM

38 posts, read 91,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemike84 View Post
i say any southern area, heck in some rural areas are mostly black. them northern city are a different breed of blacks.
You gotta point. Savannah, Montgomery, Tallahassee, Jackson, Natchez, Baton Rouge, Shreveport, Little Rock, and Pine Bluff are a few small southern cities/towns with large black populations. I would also include the entire Black Belt of the south.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:32 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,957,224 times
Let's be honest...Any medium to large Southern Metro....Out of the South it would be Chicago, Detroit, Philly, and NYC....

Old 01-21-2013, 07:19 PM

268 posts, read 948,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Pretty much any city which has or has had (in recent memory) a black majority: Atlanta, DC, Detroit, Newark, Oakland, New Orleans.
I also agree with your point on Chicago vs New York. It probably has something to do with Chicago's population having mostly Southern US roots, while a large number of New York has foreign roots, especially from the West Indies.
As for Atlanta the city proper is mostly black but it's gentrifying with a lot of whites moving in tired of their long commutes, but the metro overall is majority white, out of 5 million residents 4 million are white and other races but we have over 1 million blacks which is still a lot and certain counties in the metro are mostly black like DeKalb, Clayton, Douglas and Rockdale.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:47 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,547,250 times
Default VCR cities & AA majority cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
What are the cities and metro areas where you feel a very strong African American presence- not just in terms of population, but also regarding cultural presence and influence in the region.
Looking at cities over 100K only.

It is a fairly well - known fact that 7 out of 10 of the cities in America with the highest violent crime rate are from the 20 largest African American majority cities (by percentage).

Jackson MS has the second largest African American population in the country but a relatively low rank by violent crime rate.

There is no hard and fast rule, but the AA majority cities in the south have a lower violent crime rate, and some of the cities in the north that seem to have better economic opportunities also have a lower violent crime rate.

Why do you suppose Jackson is a major exception? (Respectful answer only please).

Rank City Percentage African American
Rank City Percentage African American
1 Detroit, Michigan 82.7% *
2 Jackson, Mississippi 79.4
3 Miami Gardens, Florida 76.3
4 Birmingham, Alabama 73.4 *
5 Baltimore, Maryland 63.7 *
6 Memphis, Tennessee 63.3 *
7 New Orleans, Louisiana 60.2
8 Baton Rouge, Louisiana 58.5
9 Flint, Michigan 56.6 *
10 Savannah, Georgia 55.4
11 Augusta, Georgia 54.7
12 Shreveport, Louisiana 54.7
13 Montgomery, Alabama 54.5
14 Atlanta, Georgia 54.0 *
15 Cleveland, Ohio 53.3
16 Newark, New Jersey 52.4
17 Washington, D.C. 50.7
18 Richmond, Virginia 50.6
19 Mobile, Alabama 50.6
20 St. Louis, Missouri 49.2 *

City Population: Ranked by Highest Violent Crime Rate for 2011
Flint 102,357 *
Detroit 713,239 *
St. Louis 320,454 *
Oakland 395,317 (Multicultural city: White persons not Hispanic, percent, 2010 25.9%)
Memphis 652,725 *
Little Rock 194,988 (Black & White city: White persons not Hispanic, percent, 2010 46.7%)
Birmingham 213,258 *
Atlanta 425,533 *
Baltimore 626,848 *
Stockton 295,136 (Multicultural city: White persons not Hispanic, percent, 2010 22.9%)

The three largest cities, New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles while not majority AA cities, by virtue of their size have large AA districts.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:19 PM

214 posts, read 410,278 times
First Black mayor of Chicago wasn't until '83.
First Black mayor of Philadelphia wasn't until '84.
First Black mayor of Houston wasn't until '97.
* Meanwhile back at the ranch, other cities that are have low black populations (e.g. Denver and Seattle) had Black mayors in '91 and '89 respectively. Denver is currently on it's 2nd Black Mayor in the past 20 years.

**So when the question is posed, I look to places like these that demonstrate true presence when they actually have decision-making ability within the entire city and not just from a community organizing perspective. I've lived in Atlanta, Chicago, and New York, all of which have the numbers. However, when it comes down to brass tax decisions, I wouldn't say that neither of the three stand out to me.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:07 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,529,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemike84 View Post
Yes we are
I've been told that every time I go south. Once you go south of DC, black people tend to be a lot more old fashioned, well mannered, and country (this increases the further south you get until you get straight up dixie).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.