Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 06:41 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Then you obviously don't know much about these cities--at all. Here, educate yourself:

A Brief History of African Americans in Washington, DC | Cultural Tourism DC
African American History & Heritage | washington.org
African-American Experience--Atlanta: A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary
African Americans in Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This perception is rather outdated. In both metros--and many others across the nation--Blacks have been opting for the suburbs for a while now. That's why the Black population in the cities themselves have dropped:

Atlanta Suburbs Bloom for Blacks - Los Angeles Times
District grows whiter as suburbs grow more diverse | WashingtonExaminer.com
Black flight to the suburbs of the South | New American Dimensions
The changing colour of cities: Black flight | The Economist
Great information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 10:50 AM

10 posts, read 31,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Your figures are rather misleading. Cities like Atlanta and D.C. especially have very misleading statistics. I for one see little to no evidence of black culture or black political leadership in cities like Atlanta and D.C..

I believe you made your basis off of the fact that both cities are over 50% black. You forget, Atlanta's metro is 10 times the size of Atlanta proper, and the same can be said with D.C.

These are very small cities in land area, but very spread out when it comes to the metro area. In these cities the blacks usually live in the urban core of the city, with the majority of the metro/suburban areas of the city being populated by whites, which is precisely why blacks do not have a strong presence there.
You obviously do not live in Atlanta. It has a very strong Black population both in the actual city and in the outlying county areas. I live in a county that is considered Metro Atlanta and I would say the county is not quite 50/50. We have African American leaders in Atlanta and there is a very strong Black culture here. Everything from music to Meetup groups for African Americans with different interests.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:27 PM

93,183 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
True, but the Africans here in Houston and the Caribbean blacks I've met from Florida seem to adapt and even fit into southern black culture pretty well.
I should have also said that many people with West Indian/Caribbean roots have been in NY for well over a century. So, many have been assimilated to where you wouldn't notice a difference.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:15 PM

19 posts, read 32,053 times
I am a native African-American Chicagoan. I am looking to buy a winter home. I like a diverse racial mix, but I would like some thoughtful suggestions on specific warm-weather suburban cities with upscale neighborhoods (newer homes with 4000+ square feet) that are ether very racially diverse, as mentioned, or have a substantial number of Blacks residing in the area.

For instance, I read that Phoenix was such an area to consider. Again, looking for specific upscale suburban neighborhoods so I can search for houses on realtor.com and the like.

Thanks.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:56 PM

10 posts, read 16,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthbtold10 View Post
I am a native African-American Chicagoan. I am looking to buy a winter home. I like a diverse racial mix, but I would like some thoughtful suggestions on specific warm-weather suburban cities with upscale neighborhoods (newer homes with 4000+ square feet) that are ether very racially diverse, as mentioned, or have a substantial number of Blacks residing in the area.

For instance, I read that Phoenix was such an area to consider. Again, looking for specific upscale suburban neighborhoods so I can search for houses on realtor.com and the like.

Thanks.
Houston?

Old 03-17-2013, 03:18 PM

93,183 posts, read 123,783,345 times
What about Ladera Heights, View Park-Windsor Hills, Baldwin Hills and Baldwin Village in Los Angeles? View Park-Windsor Hills, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ladera Heights, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-31-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdc05 View Post
Houston?
Houston is a neighborhood?

Old 03-31-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Thank you for the reply. I'll check them out!

Old 08-16-2013, 04:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,222 times
For anyone who can remember what the questions was -- best place for african americans to retire and live -- there is an excellent website that will answer your questions in very precise and specific terms and you won't have to worry about defending the question either. The name of the website is: circle of squares blogspot.com/2013 best places to live for african americans. Thank you.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:03 PM

2 posts, read 2,222 times
This is an excellent website that provides the pros and cons from individuals who describe their own unique experiences from having lived in many different cities/states. Check out this blog at: circleofsquaresblogspot.com/2013 best places to live for African Americans. It is the real deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.