U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 04:37 PM

12,356 posts, read 18,231,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm guessing you're just not familiar with the numbers or are unfamiliar with DFW's story. Since DFW has ranked second in Black migration for the past two decades and is just as economically strong as Houston, I don't see what might cause it to jump ahead of DFW. Just seems a bit arbitrary is all.

I think it's pretty much a non-starter anyway. Atlanta's going through tough times right now, but not THAT tough. The gap between Atlanta and next couple cities is pretty big and I don't see Atlanta ceding that much ground, especially with all of its built-in Black cultural assets, institutions, and political structure.
Numbers change all the time. It doesn't matter if DFW was 2nd last decade. It's a new decade and anything can happen. Also, Houston and DFW black growth numbers were ONLY 20,000 people apart. Also, back in the 1980's, Houston's and Atlanta's black population were similar. In the 1990's, Atlanta's black population surged. Who's to say that this can't happen for Houston or some other metro this decade? Since Houston is becoming more popular job and relocation wise, I can definitely see a black surge larger than last decade. Hey, that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 04:39 PM

29,943 posts, read 27,375,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Numbers change all the time. It doesn't matter if DFW was 2nd last decade. It's a new decade and anything can happen. Also, Houston and DFW black growth numbers were ONLY 20,000 people apart.
But you're not giving any reasons why you think the numbers might change; that's the issue I have. You're only going by some "hunch." I know you've got a thing for Houston and all (at least whenever Atlanta is in the picture), but let's at least try to utilize a bit of reason here.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:42 PM

See, I knew when I posted, you were going to come after me. LOL. I just edited my post while you typed yours so hopefully my addition can shed some light on the issue you have.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:30 PM

735 posts, read 951,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

Since the 70's and 80's, Blacks have occupied the highest offices in city government almost continuously in both Atlanta and DC.

Black mecca - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
African Americans in Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm sorry, did the first part confuse you? It's a well-known fact. Then again, I don't need to look up history to know it given it's a pretty big part of how things are where I grew up. Where do you think so many of the mill jobs in the South came from?

That doesn't really mean they have power or influence. Also, we both know who really holds the power in DC and it isn't DC's city government. In "black" cities like Philly, Chicago, New York, Detroit, etc etc, the black community has the power to really affect what goes on in those cities, and its influence is a major part of those cities.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
See, I knew when I posted, you were going to come after me. LOL. I just edited my post while you typed yours so hopefully my addition can shed some light on the issue you have.
OK, at least you used some historic data to justify your thoughts on the matter so I'll give you that.

As you alluded to earlier, it wouldn't take a whole lot for Houston to pull ahead of DFW to rank 2nd. So even if that were to happen, I'd still see a pretty significant gap between it and Atlanta--although maybe not double the number as was the case in the last decade.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:20 PM

I can see the gap decreasing however.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:52 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,436,335 times
Default Boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDResident View Post
I'm sorry, did the first part confuse you? It's a well-known fact. Then again, I don't need to look up history to know it given it's a pretty big part of how things are where I grew up. Where do you think so many of the mill jobs in the South came from?

That doesn't really mean they have power or influence. Also, we both know who really holds the power in DC and it isn't DC's city government. In "black" cities like Philly, Chicago, New York, Detroit, etc etc, the black community has the power to really affect what goes on in those cities, and its influence is a major part of those cities.
Black people in DC hold no power?

Old 01-28-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDResident View Post
Manufacturing started shifting southward in big numbers towards the middle of the 20th century, not when the Great Migration began.

Quote:
I have no clue how you're differentiating between political structure and power/influence in Atlanta and DC vs. the other cities you mentioned. And yes, Blacks have long held political power in local politics in DC.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:22 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,680,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Milehigh View Post
First Black mayor of Chicago wasn't until '83.
First Black mayor of Philadelphia wasn't until '84.
First Black mayor of Houston wasn't until '97.
* Meanwhile back at the ranch, other cities that are have low black populations (e.g. Denver and Seattle) had Black mayors in '91 and '89 respectively. Denver is currently on it's 2nd Black Mayor in the past 20 years.

**So when the question is posed, I look to places like these that demonstrate true presence when they actually have decision-making ability within the entire city and not just from a community organizing perspective. I've lived in Atlanta, Chicago, and New York, all of which have the numbers. However, when it comes down to brass tax decisions, I wouldn't say that neither of the three stand out to me.

Waco, Texas had its first black mayor in 1974. What's your point??

Old 01-31-2013, 09:09 AM

56,613 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Waco, Texas had its first black mayor in 1974. What's your point??
Just to shut this first Black mayor stuff down, here is the guy credited as what would be considered the first Black person to become mayor of an American municipality: First Black Mayor of America
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or