U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 10:19 AM

14 posts, read 20,953 times

Advertisements

Dear readers, looking to move to South Dakota, Nevada or Florida by transfering with my job. Any input to any of these states? I am in MN and don't like the winter extemes here. I like to be by the water but how hot does it really get in FL? I have been there in the spring but being right on the water doesn't give a good reality to it. If I live in an apt in FL are the bugs still as bad? What does Nevada have to offer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 01:33 PM

1,814 posts, read 3,358,116 times
Fewer bugs.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:00 PM

12,686 posts, read 31,879,974 times
Depends. Do you mean southern Nevada or northern Nevada? BIG diference. Northern Nevada has four seasons, including winter. Southern Nevada has two seasons: summer and January. Today is a record cold day. It is only 34 right now, which is not only highly unusual; if it holds up, today will have the lowest maximum temp on record for this date. It is about 22 degrees below normal for this time of year.

The biggest difference between FL and NV is between hot, humid, sticky, bug, snake, alligator infested jungles filled with old New Yorkers; and dry, hot, pleasant, practically bug free, desert filled with young Californians. The lack of humidity here is probably #1 why nobody ever leaves; or if they do they soon can't take it wherever they went, and they quickly return.

The other thing, here in southern Nevada, is everything is so convenient, modern and new.

If you don't like winter in MN, why are you even thinking about an even colder state like SD?

In short, anyplace that is not Las Vegas is boring, inconvenient, and uncomfortable.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:03 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,088,459 times
You dont like winter extremes and yet you would consider South Dakota? Cross that one right off your list, winter there is the same as MN. Vegas might work for you, but if heat bothers you maybe not. It isnt the humid heat of FL, but the 2-3 months each summer of 104 and above is hot no matter what the humidity is.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:55 PM

15,371 posts, read 34,644,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barb2go View Post
Dear readers, looking to move to South Dakota, Nevada or Florida by transfering with my job. Any input to any of these states? I am in MN and don't like the winter extemes here. I like to be by the water but how hot does it really get in FL? I have been there in the spring but being right on the water doesn't give a good reality to it. If I live in an apt in FL are the bugs still as bad? What does Nevada have to offer?
Actually Nevada "Offers" Nothing.....Everything is here you just have to earn it.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:59 PM

6,431 posts, read 9,948,829 times
I live here in FL and I would definitely not recommend it. Especially for someone from the mid-west. People are so rude and nasty here. The landscape isn't that interesting except for the beach, the green, and palm trees. The weather is actually ok in the wintertime. The summer is when you will be tested. It gets pretty darn hot and humid. But you just have to deal with it. Stay inside like most people. I mean, at least it's not Singapore or something.

Don't get me wrong. There are alot of good things about Florida. But FL is expensive on top of having some really rude and inconsiderate people. You can take the chance if you want to but being born and raised here, I had enough. I'm going back to the Southwest in March (God-willing).

Old 01-14-2013, 07:32 PM

21,180 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
The biggest difference between FL and NV is between hot, humid, sticky, bug, snake, alligator infested jungles filled with old New Yorkers; and dry, hot, pleasant, practically bug free, desert filled with young Californians. The lack of humidity here is probably #1 why nobody ever leaves; or if they do they soon can't take it wherever they went, and they quickly return.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
It isnt the humid heat of FL, but the 2-3 months each summer of 104 and above is hot no matter what the humidity is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I live here in FL and I would definitely not recommend it. Especially for someone from the mid-west. People are so rude and nasty here. The landscape isn't that interesting except for the beach, the green, and palm trees. The weather is actually ok in the wintertime. The summer is when you will be tested. It gets pretty darn hot and humid.
Florida haters aside, can you get anymore stereotypically inaccurate?

Hot, sticky, bug/snake/alligator infested with old New Yorkers....yes, it's a daunting daily task in getting from the car to the house without being bitten or attacked by all the critters and scowling old New Yorker neighbors. Have you even been to Florida????

Two to three months of temperatures at 104.....really? Care to illustrate where that number came from? As a for instance, Philadelphia is hotter on average in July than Florida and on par in the months of June and August. Exaggerate much?

All of Florida, one of the largest states is filled with rude/nasty people. Sounds like someone is unhappy with life and blaming their surroundings. It's called the "grass is greener" complex. Grow up and solve your personal issues versus blaming it on the residents of your state.

*** Florida native here who has lived elsewhere and moved back recently. To the OP, visit and make your own assessments versus taking tired stereotypical views from those living in similarly desirable states (notice the lack of childish negatives) or those disenchanted with their own existence. It's a big state with distinctly different areas. Southeast Florida tends to be more racially diverse and attracts many transplants from the Northeast US. The Tampa Bay area is less diverse and more Midwestern in terms of transplants. The Orlando area is a bit of a hybrid between the two. Jacksonville is "New South" like, a bit like Charlotte or Birmingham. There are umpteen other areas, all with a different feel.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:33 PM

23,035 posts, read 34,995,637 times
WHERE in FL? The state, for starters, has seven different climate zones. And you couldn't find more disparate cities than say, Miami, Tampa, Orlando and Jacksonville.
It's not all swamp, heat, alligators and rude Yankees, for God's sake. There's plenty of good to be had there.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:09 PM

983 posts, read 1,427,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barb2go View Post
Where at in South Dakota? Sioux Falls is a lot different than Rapid which is a lot different than Aberdeen in terms of pretty much everything. I'm sure the same goes for the other states as well.

Based on the short list of things you want, I don't know why you'd want to leave Minnesota unless you really hate winter.

Last edited by RC01; 01-14-2013 at 10:24 PM..

Old 01-14-2013, 10:22 PM

983 posts, read 1,427,847 times
And just to correct people, South Dakota is not as cold as most of Minnesota (trust me I've lived in both). Western South Dakota is definitely more mild than the rest of the state too. It's similar in how the weather in Florida varies greatly across the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or