U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 07:26 PM

2,082 posts, read 2,899,264 times

Advertisements

The map probably has the spheres of influence close, but the culture doesn't always follow suit. That line is well south of U.S. 60 in the Missouri Bootheel, which is inaccurate. Sikeston, Charleston, Dexter and Poplar Bluff are not midwestern at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 11:08 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,746,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Appalachia includes part of the Northeast and South. If you had a Venn Diagram, West Virginia would fall into Appalachia, but not into the South and (IMO) only barely into the Northeast circle.

The 4-region model of the US is probably too simplistic in some ways. Oregon, Hawaii, and New Mexico are all considered Western but I'd say Oregon has more in common with the Midwest than it does with Hawaii and New Mexico.

I'd also say Ohio has more in common with Pennsylvania and New Jersey than it does with South Dakota, and West Virginia more in common with Tennessee than with Maine despite being 'northeastern'.

West Virginia is not "northeastern". It is rarely ever called northeastern. Sometimes southern, often mid-Atlantic or Appalachian, but rarely northeastern. It has very little of the qualities of the northeast.
Appalachian culture traditionally means "southern" Appalachia-WV, KY, TN, NC generally. You can see from this composite map (all public domain). 1. US Census 2000, light counties ancestry "American". 2. Map of Southern dialect per the Telsur project, Univ. of PA. 3. Religion map, red=Baptist green=Methodist. The Pew Religion Survey states that 36% of WV's religious population is Evangelical. That is not the northeast.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:37 AM

13,220 posts, read 17,957,502 times
Quote:
I've always found West Virginia tricky to categorize. It might be the most enigmatic state when it comes to putting it within a region. It has the strongest ties to western Pennsylvania, it's coal and steel mining people.
It's simple. The northern third of West Virginia is part of the interior Northeast, and the southern third of West Virginia is part of the interior South. (In between is the transition.)

The interior Northeast is defined as the intersection of Northeastern and Appalachian culture. The interior South is defined as the intersection of Southern and Appalachian culture.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:47 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,541,980 times
A friend of mine visiting a newsstand in a New England resort town asked about how many copies of the New York Times they sold vs. how many copies of the Boston Globe as a gauge of spheres of influence (this was back when newspaper readership was more universal).

Old 01-18-2013, 02:12 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,536,725 times
Quote:
Thought this was a pretty interesting map. It has a lot of similarities with the Connected States of America map and I think is quite useful in delineating the true boundaries of regions.

CommonCensus Map Project - Maps

I made a regional map based off which city each area identifies with.
In the Western US. I'll Split it into three regions.

West Coast
Oregon
Washington
California

Mountain West
Montana
Wyoming
Idaho
Utah
Colorado

Southwest
New Mexico
Arizona
Nevada

All of these states have common with each other.

Washington and Oregon west of the cascades are similar to Coastal California in poliltics and lifestyle(Green, Liberal, Fusion cusines, Hipster etc).

Eastern Washington is more similar to Idaho. But Idaho overlaps more with the other Rocky Mountain states(Wyoming, Montana, Colorado).

Phoenix and Las Vegas have a strong Southern Californian influence, but the rest of those states are solidly Southwestern.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:04 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,802,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
West Virginia is not "northeastern". It is rarely ever called northeastern. Sometimes southern, often mid-Atlantic or Appalachian, but rarely northeastern. It has very little of the qualities of the northeast.
Appalachian culture traditionally means "southern" Appalachia-WV, KY, TN, NC generally. You can see from this composite map (all public domain). 1. US Census 2000, light counties ancestry "American". 2. Map of Southern dialect per the Telsur project, Univ. of PA. 3. Religion map, red=Baptist green=Methodist. The Pew Religion Survey states that 36% of WV's religious population is Evangelical. That is not the northeast.
For those who claim their ancestry to be "American", all I can think of is "Tea Party".

Old 01-18-2013, 03:19 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,802,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Based on the Common Census map...

Cities with relatively large spheres of influence

- Atlanta
- Boston
- Chicago
- Denver
- Detroit
- Memphis
- Minneapolis/St. Paul
- Pittsburgh
- St. Louis
- Salt Lake City

Cities with relatively small spheres of influence

- Baltimore
- Charlotte
- Cincinnati
- Hartford
- Jacksonville
- Louisville
- Milwaukee
- Raleigh
- San Diego
- Virginia Beach/Norfolk
I suppose you are basing your spheres on geography regardless of whether or not those large or small areas are populated? It's also safe to assume that parts of the country where major cities are closer together, the geographic spheres will be smaller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or