U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-14-2013, 05:56 PM
 
2,096 posts, read 3,956,851 times
Reputation: 1220

Advertisements

Thought this was a pretty interesting map. It has a lot of similarities with the Connected States of America map and I think is quite useful in delineating the true boundaries of regions.

CommonCensus Map Project - Maps

I made a regional map based off which city each area identifies with.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-14-2013, 05:57 PM
 
2,096 posts, read 3,956,851 times
Reputation: 1220
http://senseable.mit.edu/csa/images/regions_by_call.png

Last edited by JMT; 01-15-2013 at 09:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2013, 06:50 PM
 
14,168 posts, read 23,202,660 times
Reputation: 4302
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Thought this was a pretty interesting map. It has a lot of similarities with the Connected States of America map and I think is quite useful in delineating the true boundaries of regions.

CommonCensus Map Project - Maps

I made a regional map based off which city each area identifies with.
The map seems accurate. Even down to the cultural boundaries, like Eastern NM being part of the Southern influnece, same with Southern Missouri, and having Northern Virginia under the Northeast influence. But if they're gonna do this by culture, than there are areas within the regions they left off(Southern Texas, South Florida, etc)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2013, 08:03 AM
 
Location: Limbo
6,487 posts, read 6,345,985 times
Reputation: 6264
Interesting stuff!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2013, 09:02 AM
 
Location: The canyon (with my pistols and knife)
13,325 posts, read 18,446,487 times
Reputation: 14883
Based on the Common Census map...


Cities with relatively large spheres of influence

- Atlanta
- Boston
- Chicago
- Denver
- Detroit
- Memphis
- Minneapolis/St. Paul
- Pittsburgh
- St. Louis
- Salt Lake City


Cities with relatively small spheres of influence

- Baltimore
- Charlotte
- Cincinnati
- Hartford
- Jacksonville
- Louisville
- Milwaukee
- Raleigh
- San Diego
- Virginia Beach/Norfolk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2013, 12:14 PM
 
97 posts, read 163,005 times
Reputation: 56
Leesburg, VA is Northeast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2013, 02:13 PM
 
2,096 posts, read 3,956,851 times
Reputation: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baybie Alyssa View Post
Leesburg, VA is Northeast?
Where is that, near West Virginia?

I've always found West Virginia tricky to categorize. It might be the most enigmatic state when it comes to putting it within a region. It has the strongest ties to western Pennsylvania, it's coal and steel mining people.

Their accents can sound 'Southern' sometimes but I think it's inaccurate to call them Southerners because they broke away from the South during the Civil War and have a culture that's more similar to western PA and New York State and distinct from southern Appalachia.

I wouldn't consider West Virginia Midwestern either because its economy is based on extraction and has very little of an agricultural basis. The state is also solid mountains and in my opinion, just has pretty much nothing in common with a place like Iowa beyond being American.

So I pick Northeastern just because its very much like Pittsburgh which is generally considered to be in the Northeast. But it's really not the stereotypical Northeast at all, it more just fits in with the NE a bit more than the other options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2013, 02:17 PM
 
Location: The City
22,363 posts, read 32,872,154 times
Reputation: 7786
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Where is that, near West Virginia?

I've always found West Virginia tricky to categorize. It might be the most enigmatic state when it comes to putting it within a region. It has the strongest ties to western Pennsylvania, it's coal and steel mining people.

Their accents can sound 'Southern' sometimes but I think it's inaccurate to call them Southerners because they broke away from the South during the Civil War and have a culture that's more similar to western PA and New York State and distinct from southern Appalachia.

I wouldn't consider West Virginia Midwestern either because its economy is based on extraction and has very little of an agricultural basis. The state is also solid mountains and in my opinion, just has pretty much nothing in common with a place like Iowa beyond being American.

So I pick Northeastern just because its very much like Pittsburgh which is generally considered to be in the Northeast. But it's really not the stereotypical Northeast at all, it more just fits in with the NE a bit more than the other options.

Leesburg is only about 30-40 minutes from DC. It is a quaint old town (with some southern charm really or at least architecture) that is being swallowed up by DC suburban growth in places like Sterling and Dulles.

Leesburg is part of the wealthiest county in the US I believe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2013, 02:18 PM
 
Location: The City
22,363 posts, read 32,872,154 times
Reputation: 7786
Also WV is Appalchian Not Southern, not Northeastern and not midwestern IMHO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2013, 02:36 PM
 
2,096 posts, read 3,956,851 times
Reputation: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Also WV is Appalchian Not Southern, not Northeastern and not midwestern IMHO
Appalachia includes part of the Northeast and South. If you had a Venn Diagram, West Virginia would fall into Appalachia, but not into the South and (IMO) only barely into the Northeast circle.

The 4-region model of the US is probably too simplistic in some ways. Oregon, Hawaii, and New Mexico are all considered Western but I'd say Oregon has more in common with the Midwest than it does with Hawaii and New Mexico.

I'd also say Ohio has more in common with Pennsylvania and New Jersey than it does with South Dakota, and West Virginia more in common with Tennessee than with Maine despite being 'northeastern'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top