Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2013, 02:16 PM

26 posts, read 72,863 times

Advertisements

As an ethnic minority myself growing up in a small Midwestern community had its challenges. I was an outsider. Now I live in one of the most ethnically diverse communities in America and it is a completely different ballgame. Now in many communities it is the white people who feel like outsiders.

I grew up as a minority in a white dominated community, I was used to it. When I moved to Montgomery County MD, which is minority majority, I felt kind of sorry for the white kids who may not have been used to be a minority in their community before. Lots of parents tell me that their kids are being picked on at school because they are white! How things change!

What do you think? Is the community you live in ethnically diverse enough or would you like the diversify it further?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 01:12 AM

16 posts, read 35,486 times
I personally don't care. Ethnic diversity is, to me, an overused buzzword. Not to mention, the definition of "minority" is changing very drastically.

I live in a town that's approximately 50% white and 50% hispanic. It's fine. Everyone gets along, there's no racial tension that I can sense, and it works.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:42 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,978,552 times
I live in Phoenix and it's pretty much a white and Hispanic dominated area. However there are quite a few blacks and a smaller minority of Asians and Native Americans. It's not New York City diverse but I think it's a pretty ethnically diverse metro area for what it is. I've actually met people from several countries living here all of my life.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:59 AM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
Where I live now could use some more "diversity", not only ethnically...too many people here with roots both locally and regions in nearby states who are not very open to change. There seems to be pockets of diversity in that respect, but not enough for my tastes.
Quote:
When I moved to Montgomery County MD, which is minority majority, I felt kind of sorry for the white kids who may not have been used to be a minority in their community before. Lots of parents tell me that their kids are being picked on at school because they are white! How things change!
This has been a concern of mine as well; we are an interracial family, but our son is white (adopted) and I do worry when he reaches school age (which by time we'll live elsewhere, where he may very well be a minority) he may be bullied for his color. Hopefully things will change in that regard as well, as racial relations are much better than even 20 years ago when I was in public school.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:36 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
No I really could care less about it as long as people are polite and not ignorant. Ironically IMO the areas that fit that the best are also the least diverse. While diversity "can" increase your understanding of others I think people are closer and act more like a community in non diverse area where most people are similar. I think I've seen more of different races together to hang out here in 85% Allegheny County than in "minority majority" DC (I hate that term because it makes all different races seem the same and those ares stuff have an ethic group that clearly has the moat people).

Old 01-16-2013, 12:47 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
I live in a very diverse community and as long as people are polite and treat others decently who cares what their ethnic background is.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:51 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,600,426 times
I don't care nearly as much about "diversity" per se as I do about the voluntarily-enforced patterns of residential segregation of a particular community. For example, as a black man, I'd be much more interested in somewhere with a smaller black population that's spread out and well integrated into the surrounding areas than somewhere with a large black population where you could draw a line on a map and pretty much say "white people here/black people there".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.