U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 02:35 PM

29,973 posts, read 27,498,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
I agree with South Carolina. NC, Ga, and VA are the 'New South'...transplants have forever changed the character of the aforementioned. They still have their parts where you know you are in the south, but not as a whole.

2nd place would go to Mississippi then 3rd to Alabama.
If you're using the cultural influence of transplants as a barometer, then MS and AL would easily rank above SC--mainly due to the coast. Hordes of retirees from the North and halfbacks have made their presence felt in Charleston and Hilton Head in particular. Although less so, you also have an influence in Columbia and Greenville. AL has this type of feel in Huntsville, but not really in other parts of the state and MS is almost completely devoid of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 02:47 PM

2,203 posts, read 2,143,359 times
I don't think you can do this. The "South" is a region - and all of the states contribute to the culture of the region. One does not "top" the other, IMHO. The South brings to mind:

Magnolias, Spanish Moss, Antebellum architecture, cotton, Civil War battlefields, cuisine that includes everything from fried chicken to jambalaya, music that ranges from bluegrass to country to soul to cajun to southern rock, etc... You see - there are contributions from all states and they all combine to make the South what it is. You can't cut it up and still have the whole.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:11 PM

631 posts, read 1,071,456 times
I'd say it's Georgia, because the state contains many different cultural regions of the south

Metro Atlanta represents the "new south" really well and has become a template for growth in other southern cities like Charlotte, Raleigh, Nashville, Birmingham etc. Atlanta did it first and they're all playing catch up

South Georgia perfectly represents the black belt region- it's flat, hot, historically agricultural, heavily black and has a strong legacy of segregation.

North Georgia is the gateway to southern Appalachia. The mountains there are rugged enough to compete with the best of them and the region has a history that is distinctly appalachian- bootlegging, pioneers, union sympathizers, religious revivalism etc

Georgia Coast has historic cities like Savannah, beautiful barrier islands, colonial history, amazing seafood and a large shipping industry, so you get a perfect example of the coastal south down there.

Georgia has arms that reach into every corner of the south, so you get a taste of many different regional southern cultures in one state.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:36 PM

631 posts, read 1,071,456 times
And let's not forget the southern cultural icons that hail from Georgia

Jimmy Carter- Argue his time as presidency all you want, but he took southern politics to a new level when he became the first man elected president from the deep south since Millard Fillmore.

Martin Luther King Jr- The heart and soul of the civil rights movement. He gave the movement a religious and moral urgency born out of southern black churches.

Newt Gingrich- His Republican revolution ushered in the south's final shift into the Republican party. As the architect of this realignment he made the southern US the heartbeat of the modern GOP.

Margaret Mitchell- She wrote one of the most celebrated novels in history, and without a doubt the most celebrated and enduring one from the south.

Little Richard, Ray Charles, Gladys Knight, James Brown, Otis Redding- Their enduring songs took black musical traditions from southern juke joints to the top of the charts around the world.

Ted Turner- He was the "mouth of the south" and showcased the region's new found economic power and influence with his media empire.

Paula Deen- Laugh at her butter obsession all you want, but is there anybody else today who does more to make southern cuisine trendy, kitschy and comforting?

Old 01-16-2013, 05:43 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,830,478 times
Every corner of the South? Not really. Georgia doesn't reach into the Delta, Cajun/Creole country, Gulf Coast South, the southern plains, etc.

I will say that it's, in many ways, the cornerstone of the Southeast.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:58 PM
JJG

13,249 posts, read 19,215,026 times
Texas has its own culture (and I'm not too sure about Oklahoma being lumped in with "Southern" culture either).

I would say the states MOST important to Southern Culture are Alabama & Mississippi (the heart of Dixie), Louisiana (the Creole/Frenceh influence), Tennessee (Country Music) and Virginia (historic gateway to the South).

Old 01-16-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Texas has its own culture (and I'm not too sure about Oklahoma being lumped in with "Southern" culture either).

I would say the states MOST important to Southern Culture are Alabama & Mississippi (the heart of Dixie), Louisiana (the Creole/Frenceh influence), Tennessee (Country Music) and Virginia (historic gateway to the South).
Louisiana doesn't have its own culture? How many folks would disagree with New Orleans being the most unique city in the entire region?

Why is LA allowed to be unique and still southern, but Texas and Oklahoma aren't?

Old 01-16-2013, 07:42 PM
JJG

13,249 posts, read 19,215,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Louisiana doesn't have its own culture? How many folks would disagree with New Orleans being the most unique city in the entire region?

Why is LA allowed to be unique and still southern, but Texas and Oklahoma aren't?
First, do many people see Oklahoma as "southern"? Because it's always felt more midwestern than anything (even though it's not in the midwest, it feels that way).

Texas, like California, has always been pretty much its own region. I just can't lump it up with the rest of the south. There are several southern influences here, but there are also several southwestern and Mexican influences as well.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
First, do many people see Oklahoma as "southern"? Because it's always felt more midwestern than anything (even though it's not in the midwest, it feels that way).

Texas, like California, has always been pretty much its own region. I just can't lump it up with the rest of the south. There are several southern influences here, but there are also several southwestern and Mexican influences as well.
I have no clue how many people see Oklahoma as the south. I do know, for certain, that I feel that way about the southeastern quadrant of the state, and I'd throw OKC in there.

Texas being its own region suggests a monolithic culture, and you and I both know that isn't the case. What southwestern influences are prevalent in most of Texas? Mexican =/= southwestern.

I also notice that you mentioned Virginia, when many folks say that, today, it has more in common with the general Mid-Atlantic than it does the south.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:27 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,799,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I have no clue how many people see Oklahoma as the south. I do know, for certain, that I feel that way about the southeastern quadrant of the state, and I'd throw OKC in there.

Texas being its own region suggests a monolithic culture, and you and I both know that isn't the case. What southwestern influences are prevalent in most of Texas? Mexican =/= southwestern.

I also notice that you mentioned Virginia, when many folks say that, today, it has more in common with the general Mid-Atlantic than it does the south.
Virginia doesn't have a lot in common with the mid Atlantic.....the 8 or 9 counties that comprise NOVA do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or