U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-17-2013, 09:38 PM
 
Location: NC
1,177 posts, read 2,217,417 times
Reputation: 787

Advertisements

Historically Important
South Carolina
Virginia
Georgia

New South
Atlanta (GA is nowhere close to the New South. ATL just stands out in that regards)
North Carolina
East Texas

Musically
Georgia
Tennessee

Geographically
Tennessee/North Carolina - Appalachian Culture
South Carolina - Low Country Culture....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-17-2013, 09:43 PM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,931 posts, read 11,804,913 times
Reputation: 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post

New South
Atlanta (GA is nowhere close to the New South. ATL just stands out in that regards)
North Carolina
East Texas
East Texas really isn't either. Only Dallas and Houston really fit that description.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2013, 09:57 PM
 
Location: Rome, Georgia
2,706 posts, read 3,337,442 times
Reputation: 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Historically Important
South Carolina
Virginia
Georgia

New South
Atlanta (GA is nowhere close to the New South. ATL just stands out in that regards)
North Carolina
East Texas

Musically
Georgia
Tennessee

Geographically
Tennessee/North Carolina - Appalachian Culture
South Carolina - Low Country Culture....
You have Georgia in 3/4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2013, 11:14 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,291,649 times
Reputation: 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Historically Important
South Carolina
Virginia
Georgia

New South
Atlanta (GA is nowhere close to the New South. ATL just stands out in that regards)
North Carolina
East Texas

Musically
Georgia
Tennessee

Geographically
Tennessee/North Carolina - Appalachian Culture
South Carolina - Low Country Culture....
North Carolina is no more New South than Georgia.New South.
Atlanta is larger than Charlotte,Research Triangle Combined CSA populations and area wide combined.
I think you have a misunderstanding of what New South is.

Why would South Carolina be more important Historically than Virginia or Georgia?VA was the first state to have settlers.
Quote:
the first permanent English settlement in the Americas. Established by the Virginia Company of London as "James Fort" on May 14, 1607 (O.S., May 24, 1607 N.S.),[2] it followed several earlier failed attempts, including the Lost Colony of Roanoke
.

Last edited by afonega1; 01-17-2013 at 11:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2013, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Hampton Roads, VA.
867 posts, read 1,088,522 times
Reputation: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
North Carolina is no more New South than Georgia.New South.
Atlanta is larger than Charlotte,Research Triangle Combined CSA populations and area wide combined.
I think you have a misunderstanding of what New South is.

Why would South Carolina be more important Historically than Virginia or Georgia?VA was the first state to have settlers.
.
I think that speaks more to the history of the country itself(colonialism),not just the South. I think most people choose SC because it was the 1st to secede and is the state that really pushed the issue, where as Va joined in after SC was attacked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2013, 10:51 AM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,931 posts, read 11,804,913 times
Reputation: 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
North Carolina is no more New South than Georgia.New South.
Atlanta is larger than Charlotte,Research Triangle Combined CSA populations and area wide combined.
I think you have a misunderstanding of what New South is.
Personally, I'd definitely give NC the edge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2013, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,291,649 times
Reputation: 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
I think that speaks more to the history of the country itself(colonialism),not just the South. I think most people choose SC because it was the 1st to secede and is the state that really pushed the issue, where as Va joined in after SC was attacked.
Yes but Virginia has been around longer with a lot of history that predates the founding of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2013, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,291,649 times
Reputation: 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Personally, I'd definitely give NC the edge.
An edge is different than exclusion. Everyone has there own opinion based on what they find positive progression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2013, 12:26 PM
 
Location: The Magnolia City
8,931 posts, read 11,804,913 times
Reputation: 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
An edge is different than exclusion. Everyone has there own opinion based on what they find positive progression.
In your post, you said that NC was no more "New South" than GA. In other words, you seemed to be suggesting they're equal. All I was saying is that I think the latter has an edge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2013, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Hampton Roads, VA.
867 posts, read 1,088,522 times
Reputation: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Yes but Virginia has been around longer with a lot of history that predates the founding of the country.
I think we're saying pretty much the same thing in that regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top