U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better Vacation?
Minneapolis - St. Paul and Minnesota Lakes 19 32.20%
Denver - Boulder and Colorado Rockies 40 67.80%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 07:02 PM

9,428 posts, read 18,327,828 times

Advertisements

Would you rather spend your vacation in Minnaepolis or Denver? What kind of activities would you do? Here is some criteria.....

Shopping/Dining/Nightlife
Recreation/Scenery
Local Attractions
Hotels/Resorts
Excursions from the metro areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 09:18 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,315,951 times
I feel like this is a trap......I can't vote because I'm from Minneapolis and not only do I have a bias, but I honestly would prefer to spend my time there than Denver because I love what it has to offer than Denver can't. However, I also LOVE the mountains and I think most Americans do. Not only that, but most Americans don't think much of lakes and don't know how great they can be. Or at least, I don't think they are as highly sought after as mountains. I see this thread going in that direction, but I guess we'll see...

Old 01-16-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I feel like this is a trap......I can't vote because I'm from Minneapolis and not only do I have a bias, but I honestly would prefer to spend my time there than Denver because I love what it has to offer than Denver can't. However, I also LOVE the mountains and I think most Americans do. Not only that, but most Americans don't think much of lakes and don't know how great they can be. Or at least, I don't think they are as highly sought after as mountains. I see this thread going in that direction, but I guess we'll see...
??????

Not my intention. Instead of a cynical prediction that everyone will say mountains are superior so therefore they will favor Denver by that defaulted reason, why not elaborate on why you prefer Minneapolis as a city more than Denver. Also I'm hoping that somebody who knows Minnesota well may chime in about lake recreation up there and specifically which particular lakes are good around there and why. I like Denver a lot, haven't been to Minneapolis yet though I'd like to visit,. Honestly between NM and CO we really don't have any decent lakes to swim in in this part of the country and when I see a Minnesota liscence plate boasting 10,000 lakes I think, wow that's cool. So it's my own curiosity, not a trap. Two similar size metro areas of similar calibur, with two different types recreation in their surrounding areas.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:56 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,315,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
??????

Not my intention. Instead of a cynical prediction that everyone will say mountains are superior so therefore they will favor Denver by that defaulted reason, why not elaborate on why you prefer Minneapolis as a city more than Denver. Also I'm hoping that somebody who knows Minnesota well may chime in about lake recreation up there and specifically which particular lakes are good around there and why. I like Denver a lot, haven't been to Minneapolis yet though I'd like to visit,. Honestly between NM and CO we really don't have any decent lakes to swim in in this part of the country and when I see a Minnesota liscence plate boasting 10,000 lakes I think, wow that's cool. So it's my own curiosity, not a trap. Two similar size metro areas of similar calibur, with two different types recreation in their surrounding areas.
I said I was not going to participate because I have bias.....that was not sarcasm or cynicism. I was just predicting the outcome. Sorry it shocked you so hard! I hope you recover though......your face is blue and your eyes are abnormally large in your picture there!

Old 01-17-2013, 07:40 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,077,841 times
It seems like ever Metro has there "lake" location they go to on the weekend, so I'll say Denver.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:09 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,713,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
It seems like ever Metro has there "lake" location they go to on the weekend, so I'll say Denver.
Except we have huge lakes within the metro (white bear and Minnetonka) plus the cities have smaller lakes within the city limits.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Except we have huge lakes within the metro (white bear and Minnetonka) plus the cities have smaller lakes within the city limits.
Yeah and Denver either has reservoirs on the plains, or freezing mountain lakes at higher elevations. Not ideal for swimming in the summer.

What are the destination lakes in Minnesota for summer weekends? How well developed are they?

Old 01-17-2013, 12:06 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,713,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Yeah and Denver either has reservoirs on the plains, or freezing mountain lakes at higher elevations. Not ideal for swimming in the summer.

What are the destination lakes in Minnesota for summer weekends? How well developed are they?
Way too many to list but mostly Brainerd Lakes area, Lake Mille Lacs, Lake Superior, people will take a longer vacation way up to the Boundary Waters which is the Ely - International Falls area. I know people who even go all the way up to Ontario.

People mostly fish, swim, jet ski, people like to meet up with friends on the lake tie all the boats next to each other and drink.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:03 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,183,204 times
Two points:

Denver's air quality is much worse than Mpls/St. Paul. The pollution in the Denver area is very obvious and unpleasant, while I've never noticed bad air quality in The Cities.

The lakes in MN are a much less expensive vacation option than Colorado Mtns. Generally you can Nordic ski, ice fish, skate (winter) and hike, swim, boat, etc. etc. etc. (rest of the year) for just the cost of parking or state park entrance fee. Even the expensive lake resorts wouldn't be as much as the expensive Colorado ski resorts.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:22 PM

4,259 posts, read 5,478,884 times
Lakes are great, although I prefer a Great Lake like that of Superior or Michigan over the (relatively) smaller ones in the Mpls area; still, the mountains in CO trump the lakes in MN for a vacation for myself, since I live 3 minutes from Lake Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or