U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 10:23 PM

5 posts, read 7,345 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I am from a small town in Upstate NY, but after I graduated college two years ago I moved to Charlotte, NC. Since I have been here my boyfriend from the same town moved down, and neither one of us feel like its a good fit for us. We are looking to move somewhere back towards NY...but not our hometown. We def want to stay on the east coast, and not too far south.

We are looking for a suburb, with sort of a hometown feel, but on the outskirts of a bigger city that has fun things to do. Safety is huge for us, and we want a place where we can actually meet people and talk to our neighbors. We aren't huge into city night life, we are more of a local bar kind of people. But we want to live somewhere that has a lot of places to eat, things to do and weather that has all four seasons, but all of them mild. Any ideas? I have been searching the internet for a while but I keep striking out! Any suggestions would be helpful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 09:04 AM

59,342 posts, read 84,151,749 times
What part of Upstate NY did you come from? Would another part of Upstate work or perhaps something in PA? What about work prospects or budget? A suburb or town outside of maybe Pittsburgh, Philadelphia or Baltimore may work.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:53 AM

We came from Horseheads, NY. So the Finger Lakes area. Ive thought about other parts of Upstate but I don't want to go to far up because then it starts to get too long of winters. As far as work and budget, I just got laid off as a Banquet Manager, and my boyfriend hasnt been able to find anything down here in Charlotte. So we are looking for a low rent, currently our rent is around $700 a month for a 1bedroom. I'm a big believer in having a job before you move, so I would start applying to the area before we got close to moving there. I just cant decide what area to focus on! Are the suburbs outside of Pittsburg, Philly, or Baltimore safe? I know some parts of the cities are rough (as is all cities) but we want to make sure we feel safe wherever we pick.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:04 PM

This may work: Banquet Supervisor - Verona, NY - Indeed Mobile

Hickory Hills Apartments Apartments for Rent | Chittenango NY Apartments on Apartmentfinder.com

Cedar House Apartments - Canastota, NY Apartment Rentals

Hillside Garden Apartments

There are other apartments and locations close by, as it is in between Syracuse and Utica.

As for the other areas, you should be fine and hopefully someone chimes in. Albany also gets less snowfall on average and you may find something in that price range. Catering Manager 3 - Albany, NY - Indeed Mobile

Renters Guide | Apartments in Albany | Albany NY Apartments | Albany Apartments for Rent

Renters Guide | Apartments in Albany | Albany NY Apartments | Albany Apartments for Rent

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-17-2013 at 01:19 PM..

Old 01-17-2013, 03:12 PM

Oh thanks! I didn't realize Albany got less snow, thats def something to look into!

Old 01-17-2013, 04:16 PM

21,703 posts, read 31,577,057 times
Albany has three months with high temperatures at or near freezing and five months with low temperatures at or well below freezing (in the teens), so I'm not so sure I would categorize that as a milder four season climate if that's what you're truly after.

Average Weather for Albany, NY - Temperature and Precipitation

You might check out Frederick, Maryland which could be ideal for you. It's a nice, historic small city with a beautiful well kept up downtown area filled with restaurants, bars and shops. It's a fairly easy 30 minute commute into the northern DC suburbs of Germantown and Gaithersburg which would offer many job prospects, especially since the area has an unemployment rate sitting at 5%. There's also a commuter rail service for trips into DC which is a nice benefit for leisure time.

Average Weather for Frederick, MD - Temperature and Precipitation
Downtown Frederick Partnership
MARC Train | Maryland Transit Administration

Old 01-17-2013, 06:54 PM

Awesome, Thank you for the suggestion!! Like I said, I don't know much about the surrounding states, so I really appreciate you suggesting places. That town looks super nice! It looks like the cost of living might be too high though. But I am adding it to my list anyways.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:25 PM

12,420 posts, read 10,797,783 times
The towns/suburbs outside of Philly are pretty nice. People are friendly, the bar culture is probably some of the best in the country, the aesthetics are pleasing (lots of trees and hills). It does tend to be pricey, but otherwise sounds to be in the ballpark of what you're seeking. FWIW, the entire East Coast is expensive, so I'm not sure you should be realistically expecting it to compare to "down South" prices.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:35 PM

5,265 posts, read 15,074,831 times
Sounds like the suburbs of Pittsburgh would be exactly what you're looking for. Maybe Philly burbs but they are going to be more expensive.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Sounds like the suburbs of Pittsburgh would be exactly what you're looking for. Maybe Philly burbs but they are going to be more expensive.
Yeah, I'm thinking that the Northern or Southern suburbs of Pittsburgh may work. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/South..._(Pennsylvania)

South Hills Chamber of Commerce

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North..._(Pennsylvania)

http://www.rentalguidepittsburgh.com...onIdList=7%2C8

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-18-2013 at 09:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or