U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 10:41 AM

10,591 posts, read 14,384,024 times

Advertisements

I get "4 seasons lite"
I'm looking out my window at a pristine 3 inches of snowfall, one of the few we will probably get this winter. I'm sure it will have melted away in a few days. It's great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 11:04 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,530,890 times
I moved from St. Louis to Coastal North Carolina 4 1/2 years ago and just moved back to my beloved St. Louis. You're right, I HATED not getting the 4 seasons!

To me, St. Louis has 4 wonderful and distinct seasons. Coastal North Carolina had horrid, awfully long and humid summers and then a tiny bit of 'Fall' (aka apparently Winter) and then straight back into Summer again

Old 01-18-2013, 11:10 AM

494 posts, read 1,455,078 times
We really have three seasons.
Summer-What should be Spring
Louisiana Summer-crazy oppressive summer only found in the south though ours is slightly not as bad as Mimai for example
Fraudulent Winter-No winter weather, no real winter :<. It can get cold and damp all it wants over here, but the lack of winter weather means it not really a winter for me, and yes I was born in Louisiana. Add on the fact that, there are many days during this period where it fills more like Fall than winter. Like today with a temperature of 50 degrees. On that same note, there isn't really a true fall period either as it kinda blends into Fraudulent Winter somewhat. To be honest, our winters are more like fall with some cold days mixed in usually.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:16 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,832,515 times
^...and so we commence...

Old 01-18-2013, 11:47 AM

9,033 posts, read 8,771,636 times
San Francisco has four seasons: warm, rainy, foggy, and silly.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:47 AM

494 posts, read 1,455,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
^...and so we commence...
Let me clairfy!

When I say no winter weather, I mean no snow, no icy roads, no sleet, etc (I know it has happened a few times, but not regularly). That's different from temperature. If we had that along with the temps, I'd say, okay we got a winter! But eh, being cold and damp doesn't a winter make considering you really can't tell the difference between Fall and Winter a lot of times around here. Also, I don't think I've ever told someone who wasn't from here that it doesn't get cold, I just tell them that it can, but probably not what they are expecting.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:57 AM

2,759 posts, read 4,368,769 times
Quote:
Some folks simply don't remember it until they experience it themselves. You have those natives who know how cold it can get, yet they like to brag to outsiders about how Texas has "no winter", so then you have dozens of transplants in shock, because they didn't expect it to be damp and 34 degrees in Houston.
The main difference is the frequency and persistence of those temperatures. It can get downright bitter, windy, icy cold in most of Texas, but not very often and not for very long. There's a big difference between a few months of scattered below-freezing days mixed with days in the 50s, 60s, and even 70s and several months of consistently below-freezing temperatures with predictable ice and snowfall, where a thaw is an anomaly rather than the normal course of events.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:09 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,832,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
The main difference is the frequency and persistence of those temperatures. It can get downright bitter, windy, icy cold in most of Texas, but not very often and not for very long. There's a big difference between a few months of scattered below-freezing days mixed with days in the 50s, 60s, and even 70s and several months of consistently below-freezing temperatures with predictable ice and snowfall, where a thaw is an anomaly rather than the normal course of events.
Understandable, but that's not the same thing as suggesting that winter weather is virtually nonexistant in this state.

The frequency of below-freezing temps is different in every city. Boston is colder than DC, but that doesn't mean the latter has no winter ever.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:17 PM

8,121 posts, read 17,355,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornsfan87 View Post
It really sucks not getting to enjoy four distinct seasons. I'm sure at least some of you can share my pain.
One man's poison is another man's cure.

Can we trade?

Old 01-18-2013, 12:53 PM

2,759 posts, read 4,368,769 times
Quote:
Understandable, but that's not the same thing as suggesting that winter weather is virtually nonexistant in this state.

The frequency of below-freezing temps is different in every city. Boston is colder than DC, but that doesn't mean the latter has no winter ever.
Yes, of course. But I'm not sure a bit of scattered "winter weather" equals "winter," at least to me. There's not really a beginning and end to a "winter" where it can be 30F one day and 70F the next. And I don't know if I'd have really gotten the difference if I hadn't moved somewhere with such long, intense winters. It's just a completely different mindset between a place where you don't even own a snow shovel and a place where you keep three different kinds of shovels by the front door for six months of the year.

I think a good metric, if you needed one, would be the extent to which the people in a particular location freak out when it snows 3-6 inches or more. In some places it shuts entire cities down, in others it doesn't raise an eyebrow. My friends back home in Fort Worth get excited and post pictures on their Facebook pages if they get the tiniest dusting of snow. People up here would probably do the same if the temperature in July hit 80F. We just don't have the same seasonal expectations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.