U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 05:12 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,824,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I know ESPN, the NFL, Pittsburgh fans, and Green Bay fans were shocked at the temperatures on super bowl weekend in Dallas back in 2011. It was 13 degrees on that Tuesday morning before the game and I don't think it reached above freezing until that Friday. DFW itself can definitely experience four seasons.
It definitely comes the closest of our major cities, but certainly not the best Texas has to offer.

Last edited by Nairobi; 01-18-2013 at 05:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 05:40 PM

2,759 posts, read 4,365,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
You live in Alaska though. There's a diffirence between living in a mountainous area where one can do fun things like skiiing and snowboarding, and living in an urban area where snow is fun for like 5hrs then it becomes a nuisance.
There are flat parts of Alaska too, and parts that don't get much snow, and parts where there's traffic and the snow gets all gray and gross (though this isn't one of them ). And I chose to live here specifically for the winters. If you want to live in the mountains, move to the mountains. It's not like I don't have to shovel snow. It snows 30 feet a year here! That's a lot of shoveling! It's a pain in the ass! That kind of snow can collapse your house! Yes, it's fun for some people, including me - a lot of fun. But not everyone here skis or snowboards. Those who don't definitely complain more, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade
DFW itself can definitely experience four seasons.
DFW can just about experience four seasons in one day. One day a couple years ago it was 23F in the morning and 73F a few hours later. But still, I can't call it winter when any random day in January is more likely to be 65F than 35F.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:20 PM

5,970 posts, read 7,337,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I moved from St. Louis to Coastal North Carolina 4 1/2 years ago and just moved back to my beloved St. Louis. You're right, I HATED not getting the 4 seasons!

To me, St. Louis has 4 wonderful and distinct seasons. Coastal North Carolina had horrid, awfully long and humid summers and then a tiny bit of 'Fall' (aka apparently Winter) and then straight back into Summer again
I don't care for St. Louis weather at all. I notice its summers are as oppressive as many southern cities and 17 inches of snow in an average winter which is about the same as Washington DC. Though living in Pittsburgh and being a snow lover, the average snowfall in a winter here is 42 inches so that's less than half of what I'm used to in a winter.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:24 PM

5,970 posts, read 7,337,345 times
Not sure what the avg temperature in Dallas this time of year is but their forecast for the next week is something I'd expect here in PA in October not January. I would not call this anything close to winter. NOAA National Weather Service

Old 01-18-2013, 07:36 PM

20,868 posts, read 36,011,334 times
To get the "noticeable" seasonal changes in daylight and temperature (without factoring in obvious exceptions in mountainous areas or high elevated areas at lower latitudes) you have to be at least 43N. 45N Away from the moderating influences of an ocean or lake in the US will net you four very distinct seasons.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:08 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,824,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Not sure what the avg temperature in Dallas this time of year is but their forecast for the next week is something I'd expect here in PA in October not January. I would not call this anything close to winter. NOAA National Weather Service
For the month of January, the average high/low in Dallas is 57/37.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:40 PM

18,658 posts, read 27,108,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
It definitely comes the closest of our major cities, but certainly not the best Texas has to offer.
That honor would probably go to Amarillo.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:28 PM

3,798 posts, read 8,180,630 times
I am from a place that get's four very distinct seasons -
I break it down like this:

Spring:
-March
-April
-May
... March is the snowiest month in MN, but it often snows a lot then quickly melts. The days start to get noticably longer and the earth "springs" to life.

Summer:
- June
- July
- August
...June is generally cooler than July and August, and it's days are the longest... Twilight is around 10 pm and the sun rises around 5 am. July and August are much hotter than June, and less rainy.

Fall:
- September
- October
- November
...Typical "fall". School. Football. Sweatshirts. Foliage. Days are becoming shorter. By the end of November, the weather pretty much sucks and it's dark by 5 pm.

Winter:
- December
- January
- February
...December starts OK, then quickly becomes snowy and cold - usually. The days are short as can be, not getting light until 7:30 am and dark at 4:45. January is the coldest month, where days of negative temps isn't odd and there's a thing called "wind-chill"

Old 01-18-2013, 09:33 PM

3,798 posts, read 8,180,630 times
I often wonder what it would be like to live in a place where the weather doesn't get drastically different when the seasons change. Last year, Minnesota didn't get very cold, and it didn't snow much. I have video of my family hanging outside on Christmas Eve, we were all in long-sleeved shirts. Odd since it's usually unbearable to be outside during X-Mas in MN... Last winter was very warm, and there wasn't very much snow.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:03 AM

14,111 posts, read 22,790,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
I am from a place that get's four very distinct seasons -
I break it down like this:

Spring:
-March
-April
-May
... March is the snowiest month in MN, but it often snows a lot then quickly melts. The days start to get noticably longer and the earth "springs" to life.

Summer:
- June
- July
- August
...June is generally cooler than July and August, and it's days are the longest... Twilight is around 10 pm and the sun rises around 5 am. July and August are much hotter than June, and less rainy.

Fall:
- September
- October
- November
...Typical "fall". School. Football. Sweatshirts. Foliage. Days are becoming shorter. By the end of November, the weather pretty much sucks and it's dark by 5 pm.

Winter:
- December
- January
- February
...December starts OK, then quickly becomes snowy and cold - usually. The days are short as can be, not getting light until 7:30 am and dark at 4:45. January is the coldest month, where days of negative temps isn't odd and there's a thing called "wind-chill"
I bet its really icy in MN right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.