U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 12:11 AM

14,111 posts, read 22,767,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
To get the "noticeable" seasonal changes in daylight and temperature (without factoring in obvious exceptions in mountainous areas or high elevated areas at lower latitudes) you have to be at least 43N. 45N Away from the moderating influences of an ocean or lake in the US will net you four very distinct seasons.
Interesting breakdown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 01:09 AM

3,569 posts, read 6,023,289 times
It hasn't snowed in Chicago.

Cold does not equate to snow.
I don't have to worry about snow every single day of winter as some people make it out to be

Old 01-19-2013, 04:19 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 23 days ago)

8,712 posts, read 10,850,989 times
We've only had 1 major storm and a few less or minor ones in the whole winter. And, this is the Snow Ball Award city. We lived in Phoenix and that heat was so much unrelenting and difficult than any winter. But, I like more moderate weather on both ends of the spectrum--not the intense cold/snow, bu not the intense heat/summers either.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:29 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,544,435 times
In the absolute worst, most painfully torturous living situation Ive ever been in -- South Florida -- having only one season was almost at the top of a long list of reasons that determined that area to be so undesirable to me. I need four seasons

Old 01-19-2013, 08:32 AM

338 posts, read 667,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
It hasn't snowed in Chicago.

Cold does not equate to snow.
I don't have to worry about snow every single day of winter as some people make it out to be
Are you saying it DOESN'T snow all the time in Chicago?

Old 01-19-2013, 08:34 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,809,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That honor would probably go to Amarillo.
Definitely for its snowier winters, but for autumn I would give the nod to Texarkana.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:41 AM

87,014 posts, read 102,634,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
There are 4 seasons where I live and I wouldn't have problem skipping the really cold winter weather.
After sitting out in the cold at the Broncos game last Saturday, I agree! Now today, in the 40s at almost 9 AM, is fine with me.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:54 AM

18,638 posts, read 27,073,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Definitely for its snowier winters, but for autumn I would give the nod to Texarkana.
Only because Texarkana has trees and you can see some foliage. But Amarillo still has the truer autumn and it starts earlier and last longer.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:58 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,809,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Only because Texarkana has trees and you can see some foliage. But Amarillo still has the truer autumn and it starts earlier and last longer.
Well, yeah. Still, having picturesque seasons is a big part of it, for me.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:54 AM

4,946 posts, read 7,602,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
I often wonder what it would be like to live in a place where the weather doesn't get drastically different when the seasons change. Last year, Minnesota didn't get very cold, and it didn't snow much. I have video of my family hanging outside on Christmas Eve, we were all in long-sleeved shirts. Odd since it's usually unbearable to be outside during X-Mas in MN... Last winter was very warm, and there wasn't very much snow.
It's not so bad, I do wish it rained about 10" more a year. Of course last week it got unseasonably cold- near freezing on the coast for a few days (and many of us have no insulation or double pane windows) but today it's going to be in the 70s. I do love looking out into my garden and it's just about as green and lush as in spring, a few deciduous trees without leaves but lush green lawn and plenty of full trees.

We'll be going to Rangely Maine in a couple of weeks to enjoy some snowshoeing, snowmobiling and skiing (if it ever snows enough) so I get my winter fix without having to deal with it daily. And don't get me going about hot and humid summers- Hate it! Give me deliciously cool (mostly) coastal summer days forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.