U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which grocery store chain is the best?
Wegmans 24 24.49%
Trader Joes 21 21.43%
Publix 33 33.67%
Fareway Stores 1 1.02%
Costco 10 10.20%
Harris Teeter 5 5.10%
Market Basket 1 1.02%
Raley's 0 0%
Hy-Vee 2 2.04%
Stater Bros 1 1.02%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 07:55 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,827,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Winco used to be Cub Foods.
In some areas, Winco used to be Waremart. Winco became a collaboration of Waremart and Cub Foods. As mentioned earlier, Winco is only in the West, and is only decent with big purchases, most offer no baskets, no credit cards, self-bagging, and long lines. If you are willing to put up with all that, their prices are among the most competitive of anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 11:27 PM

94 posts, read 191,403 times
I had a hard time choosing between Wegman's and Trader Joe's, but Wegman's won me over in the end. God, I miss Wegman's.

Sadly, it's only popular in the north east, so no many people get to see the glory of it. But it's one of those stores where, whenever I meet someone else who has lived in upstate NY, they say, "Oh, man, I bet you miss Wegman's, huh?"

I'm not kidding. I seriously had a convo with a boy in my improv class the other day all about Wegman's. Then we had to explain what it was to some classmates. They couldn't understand why we were so excited about a grocery store. It is kind of ridiculous, actually. But it's an awesome grocery store!

Old 01-23-2013, 09:02 AM

56,565 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkeplinger View Post
I had a hard time choosing between Wegman's and Trader Joe's, but Wegman's won me over in the end. God, I miss Wegman's.

Sadly, it's only popular in the north east, so no many people get to see the glory of it. But it's one of those stores where, whenever I meet someone else who has lived in upstate NY, they say, "Oh, man, I bet you miss Wegman's, huh?"

I'm not kidding. I seriously had a convo with a boy in my improv class the other day all about Wegman's. Then we had to explain what it was to some classmates. They couldn't understand why we were so excited about a grocery store. It is kind of ridiculous, actually. But it's an awesome grocery store!
Just so you and others know, I believe that the biggest Wegmans is this one in the Eastern suburbs of Syracuse: Locator Detail | Wegmans - Wegmans Dewitt

6789 East Genesee Street, Fayetteville, NY - Google Maps

Old 01-23-2013, 03:53 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,513,096 times
Quote:

Gee, that's how people here talk about Publix! And I kind of think they are crazy or something at times.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:51 PM

466 posts, read 828,737 times
Quote:

This pretty much sums it up about Wegmans. Anyone who moves from Rochester, all they talk about is how much they miss Wegmans. And no one can really understand it unless they've lived there.

So the answer to this question is easily Wegmans. If they were national, it wouldn't even be a close poll.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:45 PM

811 posts, read 823,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
There's not many chains that can really compete with Publix.
Publix: Where you pay 40% more.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:41 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,900,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
This pretty much sums it up about Wegmans. Anyone who moves from Rochester, all they talk about is how much they miss Wegmans. And no one can really understand it unless they've lived there.

So the answer to this question is easily Wegmans. If they were national, it wouldn't even be a close poll.
If they were national....the quality of their products and prices wouldn't be the same. This goes for pretty much any grocery chain. The only one that really is national is super walmart. Need I say more?

Old 01-23-2013, 10:46 PM

93 posts, read 135,462 times
Trader Joe's and Wholefoods.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:19 PM

892 posts, read 1,846,631 times
Sprouts! They have the best selection of produce and it is usually pretty well priced. They have a ton of bulk nuts/flour/granola/chocolates/coffee, plus nitrate free sausage, specialty ingredients, and lots of cheeses. I mostly go for the produce, though.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:47 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,513,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fennec2009 View Post
Sprouts! They have the best selection of produce and it is usually pretty well priced. They have a ton of bulk nuts/flour/granola/chocolates/coffee, plus nitrate free sausage, specialty ingredients, and lots of cheeses. I mostly go for the produce, though.
I'm looking forward to checking out Sprouts, so glad to see them mentioned here. Hopefully I can get a full-time produce gig there as well, I'd prefer them or Trader Joe's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or