U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which grocery store chain is the best?
Wegmans 24 24.49%
Trader Joes 21 21.43%
Publix 33 33.67%
Fareway Stores 1 1.02%
Costco 10 10.20%
Harris Teeter 5 5.10%
Market Basket 1 1.02%
Raley's 0 0%
Hy-Vee 2 2.04%
Stater Bros 1 1.02%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 03:25 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,517,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Around here in ABQ I really dig Sprouts. It's a cross between Trader Joes and Whole Foods, quality is better than TJ's but prices are a lot more reasonable than Whole Foods. I know they have them in Colorado and New Mexico, not sure where else but I know they are located in other states.

in other states I like.....

Harris Teeter in NC, wish there was one here
Market Basket in MA/NH, the cheaper store but quality was pretty good and had the best selection as they have improved a lot over the years.
We have Sprout's here in California, and in Texas as well.
I do enjoy Natural Grocers which I've seen in Colorado and Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 03:38 PM

1,977 posts, read 2,872,534 times
If we include locally owned chains (not owned by the huge parent companies), I can't imagine many markets better than the Metropolitan Market chain and Central Market chain (different than the ones in Texas) in the Seattle area.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:37 PM

862 posts, read 1,216,755 times
I like Publix and Winn-Dixie. Walmart is good too.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:02 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,519,041 times
In St. Louis, definitely Schnucks and Dierbergs (Straubs is nice but too expensive). However, as these are only in a small region I know they don't count!

Outside St. Louis my top choices would definitely be for Harris Teeter and Publix.

Food Lion, Walmart and Piggly Wiggly are probably my least favorites.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:23 PM

696 posts, read 882,362 times
Trader Joes is good , I also like the Sun flower market

Old 01-18-2013, 06:39 PM

9,745 posts, read 14,195,862 times
Six of those I've never heard of, and of the others the only one I've ever been in is Publix. And I like Publix, but I like my local chain store considerably more.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:13 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,428,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
In St. Louis, definitely Schnucks and Dierbergs (Straubs is nice but too expensive). However, as these are only in a small region I know they don't count!

Outside St. Louis my top choices would definitely be for Harris Teeter and Publix.

Food Lion, Walmart and Piggly Wiggly are probably my least favorites.
I've shopped at Schnucks in various Central IL locations, Memphis, and St. Louis. The ambiance is the same in every location that I've been to. Fresh produce, fresh meats, grocery store grade sushi, and everything in between. Schnucks is wonderful! I've been informed by a C-D member that all of the Memphis stores have been bought out by Kroger. Huge loss for Memphis, IMO. The Quince Rd. location was dynamite! That said, it does count. Even if you and I are the only two who believe it!

I really like Kroger also. The layout is essentially the same, regardless of location. Here in Atlanta, my wife loves Publix.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:26 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,519,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
I've shopped at Schnucks in various Central IL locations, Memphis, and St. Louis. The ambiance is the same in every location that I've been to. Fresh produce, fresh meats, grocery store grade sushi, and everything in between. Schnucks is wonderful! I've been informed by a C-D member that all of the Memphis stores have been bought out by Kroger. Huge loss for Memphis, IMO. The Quince Rd. location was dynamite! That said, it does count. Even if you and I are the only two who believe it!

I really like Kroger also. The layout is essentially the same, regardless of location. Here in Atlanta, my wife loves Publix.
Yeah it's such a shame they've pulled out of Memphis. They're limited to MO, IL, WI, IN and IA now I think. Their biggest presence of course is in the St. Louis Metro. Not even Kroger could survive here due to Schnucks popularity

Old 01-18-2013, 08:36 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,839,990 times
Out west we have Winco, and it does have lower prices than even Wal-Mart, but it comes with its own price. No baskets. Enter and you have to move through the bargain aisle before you can reach anything else. Then, long lines at the end, (no fewer item lanes) and self bagging. For just a few items, a terrible choice. For a huge shopping trip, a good place to save, IF you have patience. Winco is mostly in California, Washington, Idaho, Oregon, Arizona, and Utah.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:40 PM

727 posts, read 1,505,152 times
What exists on Long Island?

- Stop & Shop: Average. Not particularly offensive, not particularly good. Stores are usually kept up to date though.
- Shoprite: Hit and miss due to the fact that they're a cooperative, which means some stores have different ownership. They're mostly good, though they have a few bad locations. Sales are usually good.
- Waldbaums: Remember A&P? This is one of the two store chains they still operate on Long Island. Largely overpriced and outclassed by Stop & Shop, and some of their smaller stores are dumps.
- Pathmark: The other chain A&P owns on LI. At least some Waldbaums have choice and are relatively nice. Pathmark is ghetto garbage and usually ranked among the worst stores in the nation.
- King Kullen: Local chain which claims to be the nation's first supermarket. Stores are clean, but lack features, selection or good prices.

Walmart has no supercenters on LI, and for the time being, no Neighborhood Markets. Thank god, because from what I see of their limited grocery selection, they deserve every bit of bad reputation they get. Target has no superstores either, but have expanded their grocery selection. It's pretty solid.

Interestingly, there's a downstate NY-sized hole in Wegmans' operations. I think they would absolutely clean house should they attempt a store on LI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or