U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which grocery store chain is the best?
Wegmans 24 24.49%
Trader Joes 21 21.43%
Publix 33 33.67%
Fareway Stores 1 1.02%
Costco 10 10.20%
Harris Teeter 5 5.10%
Market Basket 1 1.02%
Raley's 0 0%
Hy-Vee 2 2.04%
Stater Bros 1 1.02%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 10:25 PM

20,848 posts, read 35,948,307 times

Advertisements

Wegman's is excellent and Hannaford is also solid.

In Wisconsin I like Woodman's. I end up going there the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 11:38 PM

432 posts, read 792,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The correct answer is HEB. Prices are low, service is good, staff is helpful, they have two different store-brand labels of very good quality, they mark down old produce every day. They are not in Houston or Dallas, and people in those cities who have ever shopped at HEB are green with envy. If I had to move away from Texas, the thing I'd miss the most is HEB.
HEB all the way! That is one of the things I miss most about Texas. Lived all over and been to many regional chains, none can compare.

Since HEB wasnt an option, I went with my second favorite Publix.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:13 AM

1,236 posts, read 1,426,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Winco used to be Cub Foods.
Hence, the self-bagging. Some people may think that self-bagging is a drag. However, I prefer to bag my groceries. Yes, apples and tomatoes are fruit. However, they don't belong in the same bag!

The Cub Foods bakery is 2nd to none!

Old 01-20-2013, 06:43 AM

56,607 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Wegman's reputation precedes it, it really is a very high quality grocery store. When I lived in the south people often compared Wegmans to Harris Teeter and it is certainly the closest thing to a southern version of Wegmans...but not quite the same. HT is much more expensive (granted grocery prices in NC in general were higher than they are in Upstate NY so that could be part of it) IMO the worst thing about them though rarely mentioned; extremely narrow aisles.

For people asking why Winn-Dixie or Food Lion aren't on the list....wow. Probably because they had small, ugly, old stores, their meat was often (in our experience) barely kept in healthy temperatures at the store and often had a lot of brown spots already (this was especially true in WD).
Hence my sarcasm about WinnDixie, eventhough Kroger is solid and Aldi is underrated, to a degree. Tops is alright.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:03 AM

6,127 posts, read 6,446,012 times
My options are limited. Safeway is decent but way too expensive for some things (5.99 for a box of cereal? Really?!). I end up shopping at several places just to get what I need, including Sams and Walmart. I miss Hy-Vee and Super Target.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:11 AM

3,703 posts, read 3,216,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
My options are limited. Safeway is decent but way too expensive for some things (5.99 for a box of cereal? Really?!). I end up shopping at several places just to get what I need, including Sams and Walmart. I miss Hy-Vee and Super Target.
I'm with Beagle, I shop at about 4 places just to get what I need including Super Walmart

Old 01-20-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMechanical View Post
I'm with Beagle, I shop at about 4 places just to get what I need including Super Walmart
I really need to spend a day scouting and make a list of where to buy everything we need/want. My other options are Family Thrift Center (not so affectionately called Theft Center), the expanded Target (good for some things) and a small local place that I need to check out more often. I don't care for Walmart but 2.50 for a box of cereal or $6? The math is easy.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:20 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,366,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioMechanical View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
I really need to spend a day scouting and make a list of where to buy everything we need/want. My other options are Family Thrift Center (not so affectionately called Theft Center), the expanded Target (good for some things) and a small local place that I need to check out more often. I don't care for Walmart but 2.50 for a box of cereal or $6? The math is easy.
Do you factor gas prices into your "process"?

Old 01-20-2013, 07:28 AM

3,703 posts, read 3,216,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Gas isn't a factor for me. All the places I shop are on the same street 5 minutes from my house.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Not really. I shop in a city of 70K. It doesn't take much to get from one side of town to the other. I live 10 miles outside of town so it will always take gas money regardless of where I shop. However, if I am getting things at Target and need a few things that might be a few cents cheaper at Walmart, I won't make a special trip for that. I will just get them at Target. There are certain things I can only get at Safeway, so I try to plan my trips accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or