Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which grocery store chain is the best?
Wegmans 34 22.97%
Trader Joes 33 22.30%
Publix 48 32.43%
Fareway Stores 1 0.68%
Costco 14 9.46%
Harris Teeter 10 6.76%
Market Basket 3 2.03%
Raley's 1 0.68%
Hy-Vee 2 1.35%
Stater Bros 2 1.35%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 02:34 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

I love IGA stores. Traveling through the midwest, they can be found as the only store in tiny towns, and usually have a very good in-store bakery with terrific fresh-baked bread and pastries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 02:42 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I love IGA stores. Traveling through the midwest, they can be found as the only store in tiny towns, and usually have a very good in-store bakery with terrific fresh-baked bread and pastries.
I agree, it's a nostalgia thing for me. Used to love going to the IGA when visiting relatives in the Midwest (IL) as a kid back in the 60s and 70s. It's good to see they've survived the times, and WalMart!

Old 01-17-2013, 02:43 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,323,576 times
Wegmans definitely takes this one.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:47 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Whole Foods is the highest quality grocery store I've ever had the pleasure of shopping in.
I agree Mike...no other store matches in quality. People whine about the price but like anything in life, when is the best usually the cheapest?

Old 01-17-2013, 02:53 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree Mike...no other store matches in quality. People whine about the price but like anything in life, when is the best usually the cheapest?
Quality is good for a chain. Though to me I prefer many independants with better selections and most times better prices.

Wegmans offers like 70-80% the qulaity and diversity at 50% the cost.

To me Wegmans feels like a combination of Whole Foods, Trader Joes, and Giant (maybe even Genuardis) all in one

Plus their fresh food food bar is really good and now even in PA have a really good Craft Beer selection

I can do Whole Foods or DiBrunos - I will choose Dibrunos 9 times out of ten but do appreciate their consistency and albeit small a pretty decent and consistent cheese selection (a little step above Wegmans in this regard)

Meet me at Wegmans - YouTube

Old 01-17-2013, 03:01 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
I've only ever shopped at Star Market / Shaws, Stop n Shop, Vons / Safeway, Ralph's, Albertson's and Trader Joe's.

I prefer TJ's but mostly because it is perfect for a married couple with no kids. I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Other than that I really have no opinion, a grocery store's a grocery store's a grocery store I guess. The Star Market I went to had a laughable Mexican / Hispanic food section, but it was Boston so whattaya expect.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:08 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,053,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
They are not in Houston or Dallas...
Care to explain the HEB near my old Houston house then?
Unless there's been a freak closing in past 6 years that I haven't lived there, because last I checked it's still there.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:09 PM

708 posts, read 1,059,910 times
The only one of these I've shopped at was Harris-Teeter.Both when I lived in N.C. and this past summer on vacation at OBX.Too expensive.I prefered Food Lion.Up here in N.J.,I like ShopRite.I used to like Grand Union,but I think they all closed.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:42 PM

81 posts, read 214,666 times
Wegmans, hands down. A lot of the towns and cities they are in are small and lower middle class and Wegmans offers selections that you would be more likely to find in some upscale gourmet store in a wealthy suburb. Wegmans stores are physically huge as well.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:34 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I have traveled to 37 states in the U.S. and had the opportunity and experience to visit and purchase food from numerous grocery store chains across the country. Which grocery store chain do you think is the BEST and which one do you think is the WORST?

I have shopped at the following stores throughout my life:

Stop & Shop
Big Y
Price Chopper
Publix
Kroger
Safeway
Albertsons
Stater Bros
Whole Foods
Trader Joes
Shaw's
Wegmans

..and many more.

Personally, my favorite of all is Wegmans, which is mainly in upstate NY, with other locations in NJ, PA, VA, MD and MA. The selection of quality, healthy prepared foods is excellent, which is important to me. Second would be Whole Foods, for me. I think the worst of all is Price Chopper, which has a poor selection and isn't even a good value. Their prepared foods are also lacking bigtime, too.

Also, I think Trader Joe's is decent, but very overrated and small.

I am NOT including Whole Foods in the poll because it's too much of a broad, national chain. I want the poll to be focused on regional, localized chains.
Really a bad poll. You're too regional. We only have two of your listed (on the poll) stores in the west. But many more of the stores you say you've shopped at. Why are they not on your list?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.