U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 01:33 PM

784 posts, read 2,010,006 times

Advertisements

Im still laughing at the guy who said San francisco is bigger than NY.....lllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooooooolll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 01:34 PM

784 posts, read 2,010,006 times
Almost all of manhattan is a downtown. Midtown is the largest CBD in the US. Downtown Manhattn is the third largest due to the loss of the WTC but it will regain 2nd after we finish rebuilding. So add that with midtown thats one big downtown. Not to mention all the neighborhoods in between midtown and downtown manhattan. Also Upper West Side, Upper East Side even Harlem,with the street of america 125 street

I feel the same way.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:28 PM

321 posts, read 1,006,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1 View Post
^^^ Bigger than New York. IM laughing real hard, buddy you have never been to any of those mentioned cities. NY is like 20 San francisco's and like five or six Chicagos...This is whats wrong with the world...People like^^^^Just Midtown Manhattan alone is bigger than downtown Chicago...
Actually I've been to all of thoose cities a mentioned, so I should be laughing about what you said right now... But I'm smart enough to take something like this Seriously.
And the reason why I can tell that Manhattans downtown is spread out is because I've been there.
And maybe you are the one that can't tell what a real downtown is...
A original/real/official representation of a downtown is a place with street(s) with small cafe's, small shop's, small resturant's and other small servises, but all of theese things are built together and the services are in a small part of a building that often has 1-2+ level's of apartments or offices.
Kind of like this:

But you can laugh all you wan't if you think that all of manhattan is downtown.
Let me explain why it's not... First of all you've got lower manhattan that is a office area downtown.
Then there is a big rowhouse area that goes on for a long ways and then you have midtown that is tall apartment buildings/office buildings/downtown area's.
In the big residental area between lower manhattan and midtown there is 93% row houses and apartments and 7% resturants/bars/shops.

So actually manhattan is 30-35% downtown, and that is counting all of the small downtown areas that are spread out together.

So... Back to the thing I said first. And I said that San Francisco or Chicago could be the cities with biggest downtowns and then I meant that New Yorks downtown is more spread out in small pieces, or at least Manhattan is that way...
Chicago has a lot of downtown's but there is 2 or 3 that are large but thoose downtowns are not in a office building/skyscraper area, so that's why they have more things in thoose large downtowns that are more like real downtowns.

So this is a good and well proof that I'm right, so maybe that little post that you posted to make this a waste of time arguement was a hudge waste of time.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:39 PM

6,967 posts, read 17,758,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian/SWE View Post
Actually I've been to all of thoose cities a mentioned, so I should be laughing about what you said right now... But I'm smart enough to take something like this Seriously.
And the reason why I can tell that Manhattans downtown is spread out is because I've been there.
And maybe you are the one that can't tell what a real downtown is...
A original/real/official representation of a downtown is a place with street(s) with small cafe's, small shop's, small resturant's and other small servises, but all of theese things are built together and the services are in a small part of a building that often has 1-2+ level's of apartments or offices.
Kind of like this:

But you can laugh all you wan't if you think that all of manhattan is downtown.
Let me explain why it's not... First of all you've got lower manhattan that is a office area downtown.
Then there is a big rowhouse area that goes on for a long ways and then you have midtown that is tall apartment buildings/office buildings/downtown area's.
In the big residental area between lower manhattan and midtown there is 93% row houses and apartments and 7% resturants/bars/shops.

So actually manhattan is 30-35% downtown, and that is counting all of the small downtown areas that are spread out together.

So... Back to the thing I said first. And I said that San Francisco or Chicago could be the cities with biggest downtowns and then I meant that New Yorks downtown is more spread out in small pieces, or at least Manhattan is that way...
Chicago has a lot of downtown's but there is 2 or 3 that are large but thoose downtowns are not in a office building/skyscraper area, so that's why they have more things in thoose large downtowns that are more like real downtowns.

So this is a good and well proof that I'm right, so maybe that little post that you posted to make this a waste of time arguement was a hudge waste of time.

huh?

Old 12-22-2008, 04:49 PM

4,945 posts, read 8,265,265 times
Some of you are making fools of yourselves. We are talking about commercial office space. Not SOHO or Chelsea or Capital Hill or the Castro.

Midtown Manhattan, by far has more commercial office space than every city in the country. Point Blank. This is how you determine the size of a DT.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,883 times
Chicago has the second best downtown in the world after Hong Kong. Please google it. New York has the dirtest downtown present on earth and has awful architecture!!!!

Old 12-05-2009, 11:37 PM

6,271 posts, read 15,512,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sara ali View Post
Chicago has the second best downtown in the world after Hong Kong. Please google it. New York has the dirtest downtown present on earth and has awful architecture!!!!
LOL. Ever been to India?

Old 12-05-2009, 11:47 PM

1,588 posts, read 3,458,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1 View Post
Actually I will go by who has the most highrises so only DC will be left out but here would be my list

NY---5,600
CHicago---1,200
Los Angeles--500
Houston--400
San Fran---Boston---about the same--300
Seattle---200
Denver--200
Philly--150
Pittsburgh--110
and so on and so forth,, now you get an idea where cities are in relation to each other
The following list is a little dated, but it's a bit more accurate:
New York City 5,786
Chicago 1,104
Los Angeles 501
Honolulu 436
San Francisco 412
Houston 350
Philadelphia 329
Miami 284
Dallas 240
Boston 229
Atlanta 225
Seattle 214
Denver 199
Minneapolis 192
Detroit 171
San Diego 143
Pittsburgh 131
Las Vegas 125

Last edited by BlackOut; 12-05-2009 at 11:58 PM..

Old 12-06-2009, 05:43 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,536,517 times
New York City
Chicago
Los Angeles
Dallas
Miami
Phoenix

San Francisco and San Diego have nice downtowns, but by far not the biggest.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:13 AM

32 posts, read 55,157 times
LOL @ whoever keeps arguing NYC doesn't have the biggest downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or