U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 09:55 AM

9,435 posts, read 18,351,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithplya9 View Post
ok my english TOTALLY isnt bad ahaha

ok, so some questions about Denver then,

pollution. Int it supposed to be smoggy as hell? Water, isnt the city completely landlocked and only has a little tiny fake river that goes through downtown? And it seems like its the ONLY city for a good 5 state area, does Denver feel isolating?
Not nearly as smoggy as it use to be, air quality is pretty decent up there and has been for a while. Yes Denver is pretty much THE major city for the Mountain time zone and it is very land locked. Look, you are going to weigh out pros and cons with every city you consider and every city is going to have its flaws. I chose to move here in NM which is isolated and I certainly do miss the ocean, but the constant sunny days, better climate, and abundant outdoor activties along with plenty of elbow room and a decent enough gay community was a better trade off for me than other coastal cities I've lived in before.

My favorite city in the Northeast with an excellent gay community, decent cost of living, and a great location on the NE corridor to travel to other cities and the shore is Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 11:23 AM

9,394 posts, read 9,554,064 times
Quote:
hey Metro Matt. So i have been looking into Texas a little... Fort Worth seems like it could be cool.... but since its Texas wont it be filled with tons of conservatives and right winged crazy religious people? it seems like Texas (aside from Austin) would be extremely intolerant
Houston has a lesbian Mayor, im sure parts of Texas has those people, but so does Massachusetts or California.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:22 PM

2,092 posts, read 2,575,292 times
Quote:
hey Metro Matt. So i have been looking into Texas a little... Fort Worth seems like it could be cool.... but since its Texas wont it be filled with tons of conservatives and right winged crazy religious people? it seems like Texas (aside from Austin) would be extremely intolerant
Fort Worth has an awful gay scene the bars are a joke. Don't waste your time or money there. Every LGBT person in DFW knows Dallas is a better place to live. In Texas the two best gay cities are Houston and Dallas. Austin is ok but it's a lot smaller, and the gay scene is mediocre IMO. If your single it's all a numbers game. Gay guys are so specific in their ideal "type" it's very hard to meet someone in a smaller metro. Austin is more of a place to visit. Dallas and Houston make way better places to live. Check out Oak Lawn in Dallas(75219) and Montrose in Houston(77006). Both of those neighborhoods are known as the "gayborhoods" but offer much more than that.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Fort Worth has an awful gay scene the bars are a joke. Don't waste your time or money there. Every LGBT person in DFW knows Dallas is a better place to live. In Texas the two best gay cities are Houston and Dallas. Austin is ok but it's a lot smaller, and the gay scene is mediocre IMO. If your single it's all a numbers game. Gay guys are so specific in their ideal "type" it's very hard to meet someone in a smaller metro. Austin is more of a place to visit. Dallas and Houston make way better places to live. Check out Oak Lawn in Dallas(75219) and Montrose in Houston(77006). Both of those neighborhoods are known as the "gayborhoods" but offer much more than that.
Dallas is probably the type of city the OP wants to avoid...

Quote:
Im not really flamboyant and I don't like gay clubs or anything, so im not looking for like cities with a raging gay area.

Between the catty scene at the gay bars and their obsession with everything materialistic, many gays in Dallas will be checking in at the North Park Mall for their usual Facebook posts because it makes them feel important. It's where the term 30k millionaire was coined. The gay scene in Dallas can be downright insipid. If that wern't bad enough there are inferno hot summers, the downtown sucks, and no there is no good scenery nearby. Down to earth it is not. I know, my ex is from there. I'd rather go to Austin or even San Antonio if I were single. I got a much better vibe in those cities.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Dallas is probably the type of city the OP wants to avoid...

Between the catty scene at the gay bars and their obsession with everything materialistic, many gays in Dallas will be checking in at the North Park Mall for their usual Facebook posts because it makes them feel important. It's where the term 30k millionaire was coined. The gay scene in Dallas can be downright insipid. If that wern't bad enough there are inferno hot summers, the downtown sucks, and no there is no good scenery nearby. Down to earth it is not. I know, my ex is from there. I'd rather go to Austin or even San Antonio if I were single. I got a much better vibe in those cities.
I wish people on here gave advice based on actual facts instead of posting made up delusions.

I won't even go there with my opinion of albuquerque. Dallas is easily one of the 10 best gay cities in the United States maybe even the top 5. That status comes with a large group of haters.

Even if you don't go out Dallas offers many more amenities than Austin or San Antonio. Sorry, but I refuse to recommend cities someone will want to leave after a day of living in them.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 01-20-2013 at 04:44 PM..

Old 01-20-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I wish people on here gave advice based on actual facts instead of posting made up delusions.

I won't even go there with my opinion of albuquerque. Dallas is easily one of the 10 best gay cities in the United States maybe even the top 5. That status comes with a large group of haters.

Even if you don't go out Dallas offers many more amenities than Austin or San Antonio. Sorry, but I refuse to recommend cities someone will want to leave after a day of living in them.
In your original post you were rating cities in Texas based upon their rank in the gay scene and where the best bars are. I get the impression from the OP and his original post that wasn't one of his priorities. Sure Dallas could be ranked in the top 10, and sure its a very big city with lots of ammenities, though what kind of ammenties are compatable with what the OP is looking for is the question. I wouldn't reccommend ABQ for a single guy though I very much enjoy living here now with my partner. I was in Austin for more than a day and found it more intriguing and a lot prettier than Dallas and I think single life could be fun there. Different strokes, different folks. I got to know Dallas and it just rubbed me the wrong way and the impressions I got were from very palpable experiences, not delusions.

I'll offer up one compliment for the place though, I did appreciate that they have the largest gay church congregation in the country. Where Christianity and homosexuality have so many polaraties it was nice to see that come together and attending a service there was a good and uncommon experience. Aside from that, "the scene" in Dallas and the topography was just a turn off for me.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 01-20-2013 at 06:07 PM..

Old 01-20-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
In your original post you were rating cities in Texas based upon their rank in the gay scene and where the best bars are. I get the impression from the OP and his original post that wasn't one of his priorities. Sure Dallas could be ranked in the top 10, and sure its a very big city with lots of ammenities, though what kind of ammenties are compatable with what the OP is looking for is the question. I wouldn't reccommend ABQ for a single guy though I very much enjoy living here now with my partner. I was in Austin for more than a day and found it more intriguing and a lot prettier than Dallas and I think single life could be fun there. Different strokes, different folks. I got to know Dallas and it just rubbed me the wrong way and the impressions I got were from very palpable experiences, not delusions.
I've heard the phrases "I hate the scene" and "I never go out to gay bars" about a million times in GAY BARS, and the people who say it announce it like it's some badge of honor. A growing number of gay men, seem to feel they are above the scene, or too cool for school or whatever, but cities with a healthy "scene" generally have a sizable gay community, which gives a person more chances to meet other gay men. I think living in a thriving community, sure beats twiddling your thumbs at home checking your Grindr app every 5 minutes. I'm not one of those people, but I've noticed it's the new "it" phrase to throw around, as if being a regular at a bar determines how masculine or "normal" you are. It's funny to me, because when I meet someone who is a self-described "normal masculine straight acting man" they tend to be the opposite. [sorry for the rant]

The OP wasn't very specific in his priorities, and my first post was meant to correct misinformation about Texas gay life, by a poster who doesn't know anything about it.

Quote:
I'll offer up one compliment for the place though, I did appreciate that they have the largest gay church congregation in the country. Where Christianity and homosexuality have so many polarities it was nice to see that come together and attending a service there was a good and uncommon experience. Aside from that, "the scene" in Dallas and the topography was just a turn off for me.
whatev...

We all have our own preferences. Dallas isn't the gayest city in Texas because gays don't like it here. As one of the largest gay populations in the nation Dallas has something to offer anyone.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 04-07-2014 at 10:04 PM..

Old 01-20-2013, 06:50 PM

12,201 posts, read 10,429,763 times
Quote:
Hey guys, so Im wanting to move to a new city. I like to move around to new places and right now I'm back home in Ohio (which totally sucks) making some money for my next move.

What I want to know is what are some good cities for gay people to live in,>>> Keep in mind, I have already lived in LA and Chicago, and didnt like them, so other cities would be awesome.

Im not really flamboyant and I don't like gay clubs or anything, so im not looking for like cities with a raging gay area. However, I am out so I want a city where I dont need to lie to people in my neighborhood or at my job and I dont want to feel like i might get jumped.
Columbus Ohio has a lot of gay people, but since you hate Ohio, you might want to be a little more specific about where you want to live besides a place where you "won't get jumped".

Old 01-20-2013, 06:56 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,123,842 times
Quote:

Don't you get get it?

The OP is not looking for a flamboyant gay city like Dallas or Austin.

Fort Worth is calling his name. It offers everything he asked for & more.

Quote:
Hey guys, so Im wanting to move to a new city. I like to move around to new places and right now I'm back home in Ohio (which totally sucks) making some money for my next move.

What I want to know is what are some good cities for gay people to live in,>>> Keep in mind, I have already lived in LA and Chicago, and didnt like them, so other cities would be awesome.

Im not really flamboyant and I don't like gay clubs or anything, so im not looking for like cities with a raging gay area. However, I am out so I want a city where I dont need to lie to people in my neighborhood or at my job and I dont want to feel like i might get jumped.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Get it? The OP is not looking for a flamboyant gay city like Dallas. Fort Worth is calling his name. It offers everything he asked for & more.
Fort Worth doesn't have very many gay people, because it doesn't offer very many things for them to do. I've been going out in both Fort Worth and Dallas for almost 10 years, so I'm offering my input based on actuall knowledge of both. Get it?

Flamboyant? Fort Worth's gay scene revolves around drag pageants and shows....

People are basing a lot on stereotypes and spinning it as truth. Fort Worth has a western, rugged, down home image, but the gays in Fort Worth don't display any of those characteristics. In reality your choice between Dallas and Fort Worth comes down to numbers, and Fort Worth is lacking.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 04-07-2014 at 10:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or