Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 07:02 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,688,712 times

Advertisements

Philadelphia is great for gays. Two designated Gayborhoods within the city, although they tend to live all over the city. Great location between other cities, the beach and the mountains. Fantastic downtown area with a TON of gay bars. Extremely accepting city. Great Gay community.

I don't know how San Francisco could be any "more" accepting than Philadelphia, Boston, Minneapolis, Seattle, Portland or Denver when they are all accepting. Chicago and NYC are pretty great for gays too, other course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 07:06 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,801,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Get it? The OP is not looking for a flamboyant gay city like Dallas. Fort Worth is calling his name. It offers everything he asked for & more.
I like Fort Worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Philadelphia is great for gays. Two designated Gayborhoods within the city, although they tend to live all over the city. Great location between other cities, the beach and the mountains. Fantastic downtown area with a TON of gay bars. Extremely accepting city. Great Gay community.
I like Philly too.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:14 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,122,095 times
What part of Ohio do you live in? Check out Cleveland, specifically Lakewood. It has a huge and very active gay community. Cleveland was even chosen over cities like Boston and DC for the 2014 Gay Games.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:04 AM

24 posts, read 151,758 times
Ok, everyone thanks for the responses!!! Also, to CAPHILLSEA77, RONNIEINDALLAS, and METRO MATT

So, i think a lot of the problem is confusion of what im looking for.

Ok, so RONNIE, I totally know the type of person you are talking about. The type who are like "oh im not into the scene, im str8 acting and im so ****ing cool" I totally get that, they are all over LA let me tell you.

But i am not one of them, i just literally am not into the gay scene. Ive actually never been to a gay bar once, i dont have Grindr, and I have no desire of living in a "gayborhood". Honestly, in my life, my experience with gay people who are in the "community" have been really bad. Granted, Im from Toledo, Ohio... there is NO gay scene here. So my first experience with the scene was in Boystown in CHI and WeHo in LA. Both of these neighborhoods were obnoxious as ****. Everyone seems to be very shallow, everyone does some kind of drug, sex is the name of the game, and there is some weird competition going on where everyone judges everyone and is a catty ***** like thats supposed to be a turn on or something.

Now like I said, im not saying this to be like "oh im so ****ing sweet", because i totally know 100% that a lot of the problems the mainstream gay community has is a result of the oppression over decades of negative media stereotypes, heteronormativity, and the high numbers of runaways who flock to places like weho. So no judgements. its just not my thing.

What i am looknig for>>> So, right now in my hometown, its still very taboo to be gay. Like, there are gay people like me, but there are people who i work with that are convinced that being gay is a choice (and a large majority of the city feels that way), and my parents were pretty homophobic before I came out, and almost half the city voted for Romney, and almost everyone here, despite how liberal they are by Ohio standards, are against gay marriage, and growing up I got called *** all the time and was beat up, and teachers wouldnt do **** about it. This is the **** im talking about.

Im not looking to live in a neighborhood filled with rainbow flags and fro-yo places. Just a city that has a good art scene, opprotunities for the entertainment industry of any kind, is pretty progressive, where people dont hate the gays, ....actually cities that are known for just having really friendly populations in general would be awesome, and good outdoor space would be a great bonus

Some cities I have in mind are Austin TX, Nashville TN, Melbourne Vic, maybe Boston MA??? or NYC????

I dont know, need some advice, thanks again for all the posts you guys!

Old 01-21-2013, 10:23 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,458,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithplya9 View Post
Im not looking to live in a neighborhood filled with rainbow flags and fro-yo places. Just a city that has a good art scene, opprotunities for the entertainment industry of any kind, is pretty progressive, where people dont hate the gays, ....actually cities that are known for just having really friendly populations in general would be awesome, and good outdoor space would be a great bonus
The problem with the entertainment industry is that it tends to attract the sort of shallow, status-obsessed people you want to avoid.

But in every other respect, your description above fits Portland, Oregon to a tee.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:49 AM

192 posts, read 324,299 times
Quote:

Some cities I have in mind are Austin TX, Nashville TN, Melbourne Vic, maybe Boston MA??? or NYC????
If you do not like Chicago or Los Angeles, I doubt NYC will be the place for you. It sounds like your looking for more of a Austin, Denver, Minneapolis, Portland, or Seattle type of place. They are all cities that are popular with young adults right now, and have burgeoning art scenes along with being progressive thinking. Those are probably all potential places for you, but I suggest maybe start visiting a few cities to discover the right one for you.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:06 PM

24 posts, read 151,758 times
hey PCH 1013 and FLAMEDOWN.

So i have been heavily considering Portland and Seattle. I visted Seattle last summer and it was beautiful and amazing...however, the 4 days i was there it was totally sunny and warm and all the locals kept saying dont judge Seattle based on this, you are here the only 4 sunny days of the year.

With constant cloud cover (I think i saw on website that those cities only have like 30 days of sun a year) I might go completely insane. I need sun. I get really depressed when its cloudy all the time. Even here in Ohio well get times when its cloudy for a week and half straight and it just lags on me really bad...so i dont know how 11 months would make me feel. Have you guys ever been to those cities? is it horrible?

and yeah thats why i was thinking Austin. I hear its like Portland but with a lot of sun

Old 01-21-2013, 12:11 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,458,327 times
Quote:
Have you guys ever been to those cities? is it horrible?
I've lived in both Portland and Seattle. I wouldn't say the constant cloudiness is "horrible" (my biggest issue with winters there is that the days are so short) -- but many people are really bothered by it. The saving grace is that both places are very outdoorsy, Portland a bit more more than Seattle, and people like to get out and enjoy nature even when the weather is gloomy.

Austin is great -- my dad lives there -- but I ride a motorcycle and couldn't tolerate the hot summers.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:26 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times
I was a little surprised at Dallas. Maybe it's different in the south and I'm use to being up north, but I've never been anywhere else that had groups of religious people on street corners in the gay neighborhood screaming at everyone (including myself) that I'm not a worthy person and I'm going straight to hell.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:36 PM

192 posts, read 324,299 times
Quote:
hey PCH 1013 and FLAMEDOWN.

So i have been heavily considering Portland and Seattle. I visted Seattle last summer and it was beautiful and amazing...however, the 4 days i was there it was totally sunny and warm and all the locals kept saying dont judge Seattle based on this, you are here the only 4 sunny days of the year.

With constant cloud cover (I think i saw on website that those cities only have like 30 days of sun a year) I might go completely insane. I need sun. I get really depressed when its cloudy all the time. Even here in Ohio well get times when its cloudy for a week and half straight and it just lags on me really bad...so i dont know how 11 months would make me feel. Have you guys ever been to those cities? is it horrible?

and yeah thats why i was thinking Austin. I hear its like Portland but with a lot of sun
Do you think that you could get used to the cloud cover? There is some sunlight in the two cities in the summer. I have visited Portland one time in the summer, and the weather was mild and clear. It sounds like you are more interested in the PNW cities, so do not discount them just because of the cloud cover

Seattle and Portland are bigger than Austin, and also have better public transit. I have also read on here that unless you live in downtown Austin, be prepared for bad traffic as the highway infrastructure has not caught up with Austin's massive growth. Now if cloud cover is the deciding factor for you, I do recommend a clearer city for you. Denver has a lot more sunshine than the PNW cities, without the heat of Austin, so maybe that could be a option too for you along with Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.