U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which non-Confederate state is the most Southern?
Oklahoma 63 23.33%
Kentucky 163 60.37%
West Virginia 44 16.30%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 03:31 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,708,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitofEndearment View Post
I go to school with a guy from Oklahoma City, a girl from Wichita, and a girl from Topeka. There is a big difference between the OKC kids and the girls from Kansas and Nebraska. The guy has a quasi-Southern accent, akin to something I'd expect from an eastern Texan. OKC seems more Southern/Texan influenced, from what I've gained, than the prairies and Midwest. However, I would say a great indicator is: How do people define themselves? I've never heard someone from Oklahoma, and certainly not from West Virginia, identify as Southern. But I know people from Kentucky who identify as Southern, and if you need a non-personal example bell hooks come to mind as someone from there who identifies as being from the South.
You're right to associate Oklahoman culture with Texas. Along with the western side of Arkansas, it is very similar...although we (OK/TX) hate each other when it comes to football!

When pressed most Okies self-identify with the South. Look through some of these other threads and you'll find the study by the University of North Carolina which provides the evidence. My friend TexasReb has posted that study several times before.

Personally, I was always taught to include Oklahoma in the Southwest (as in SOUTHwest not SouthWEST = NM/Arizona) growing up in my family (now 5 generations of Okies) and in grammar school....as in Old Southwest, which simply meant the western-boundary of the South. Some think of the South simply meaning the Southeast/Deep South = Deep South Purists. I take issue with that obviously because it leaves out Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and much of Louisiana. The Census is most correct with its "West South Central" moniker for this South-Central region (works too) to describe Oklahoma/Arkansas/Texas/Louisiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 04:03 PM

66 posts, read 97,616 times
Most Oklahomans, at least in the OKC area which is where I am most familiar with, do identify with the South. Usually the people who object are those who are ashamed of the Southern stereotypes and don't want to be associated with the South so they emphasize the areas where Oklahoma is different. Oklahoma City in particular has missed the sunbelt boom, so relatively few transplants live there compared to other Southern cities. In that regard, I would say Oklahoma City is more of a genuine Southern city than places like Atlanta, Charlotte, or Nashville which have all had their Southern culture somewhat diluted.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityBrightLights View Post
Most Oklahomans, at least in the OKC area which is where I am most familiar with, do identify with the South. Usually the people who object are those who are ashamed of the Southern stereotypes and don't want to be associated with the South so they emphasize the areas where Oklahoma is different. Oklahoma City in particular has missed the sunbelt boom, so relatively few transplants live there compared to other Southern cities. In that regard, I would say Oklahoma City is more of a genuine Southern city than places like Atlanta, Charlotte, or Nashville which have all had their Southern culture somewhat diluted.
Truth. Well said.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:21 PM

363 posts, read 617,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
LMAO, what are you on? Except in the St. Louis area? Have you ever been to Missouri? To Kansas City? To Columbia? Jefferson City? IT doesn't sound at all like you have. All of these cities decidedly lean toward the Midwest. Some of the outlying rural areas may still have pockets of southern dialect and culture, but Missouri is by and large more Midwestern than it is southern by today's standards. It is exactly as bchris02 says. I've lived here for almost 27 years and I work a job where I go all over the state for a living. THe only parts of the state which are southern are in the far southeast part of the state.
Bump to this post. I've visited most of Missouri except the Southeast, and i haven't seen any real Southern culture. Sure the Ozarks are kind of southern in a mountain kind of way, but it's not the true south. Most of Missouri to me seems like Southern Illinois or Indiana. Very hick and redneck, but not really southern.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:38 PM

7,823 posts, read 12,330,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I long for the day when TexasReb and those like him don't share the same govt as I do. He is as far apart in political philosophy from the people of my region as we are from Cubans.

How did I get stuck in the same country with his ilk.
Y'all had the chance to be rid of him (and me) in 1861, but y'all blew it.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:46 PM

I've been through Oklahoma before with only a few stops. It is a good mix of Southern and Midwest influences, with eastern Oklahoma especially southern as you go toward Arkansas.

West Virginia really is split as the northernmost parts are as far north as New York City while the southern parts are as far south as Richmond and southern VA with a border with Kentucky. Now with the Appalachian region, I think Logan County WV definitely feels different than western Pennsylvania. In fact Charleston WV feels very different from Morgantown and Fairmont. Someone should do a poll within West Virginia to see which parts consider themselves Southerners. I doubt many folks up in Wheeling would say they are southern. The intrastate dynamics here in WV is especially funny given that southern West Virginia, with the heaviest accents, is actually the most liberal part of the state while the counties bordering Maryland and Ohio are conservative just like rural Maryland and rural Ohio. I would say that half of West Virginia is probably in the South while about a third to a half of Maryland is southern, particularly the Eastern Shore and Southern MD.

Huntington, WV seems like a mix of the south and Midwest. For some reason I got a different feel right after crossing into Ohio from Huntington.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:11 PM

2,082 posts, read 2,899,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbay33 View Post
Bump to this post. I've visited most of Missouri except the Southeast, and i haven't seen any real Southern culture. Sure the Ozarks are kind of southern in a mountain kind of way, but it's not the true south. Most of Missouri to me seems like Southern Illinois or Indiana. Very hick and redneck, but not really southern.
Yep, gotta go to the bootheel to see 100% southern culture in Missouri.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:56 PM

34 posts, read 46,312 times
Overall, Kentucky is the most Southern of these three states followed by Oklahoma with West Virgina bringing up the rear.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:26 PM

I lived in Maryland for a long time. The Eastern Shore has a very Southern feel and history with a lot of plantation agriculture. The DC area not so much.

West Virginia also feels southern with the exception of the Morgantown area, the Northern Panhandle, and the Eastern Panhandle (which is filled with DC area yuppie transplants).

I do want to point out that of the undisputably Northeastern states, Pennsylvania has the most in common with the modern South.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:38 PM

The answer is Kentucky with Oklahoma close behind with WV being a distant third.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or