U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which non-Confederate state is the most Southern?
Oklahoma 63 23.33%
Kentucky 163 60.37%
West Virginia 44 16.30%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 06:47 PM

80 posts, read 80,663 times

Advertisements

Bass&Catfish2008, it boggles my mind that people think Oklahoma would be in the same region as states like Minnesota, Illinois, Michigan, etc. but I am open to the possibility that some people have had a different experience in Oklahoma than I have. I understand why people from other parts of the South would visit Oklahoma and see the Great Plains (red dirt, pump jacks, wheat farms) and think they've left the South, but I don't see how anyone can deny that most Okies are Southerners. Do Southern accents become Midwestern accents just because they're on the plains??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 02:03 AM

60 posts, read 70,080 times
Kentucky to me. From when I lived there for about a year, things were as "Old Southern" as it got in Lexington.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:16 PM

588 posts, read 1,092,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studying Okie View Post
Bass&Catfish2008, it boggles my mind that people think Oklahoma would be in the same region as states like Minnesota, Illinois, Michigan, etc. but I am open to the possibility that some people have had a different experience in Oklahoma than I have. I understand why people from other parts of the South would visit Oklahoma and see the Great Plains (red dirt, pump jacks, wheat farms) and think they've left the South, but I don't see how anyone can deny that most Okies are Southerners. Do Southern accents become Midwestern accents just because they're on the plains??
Does it boggle your mind that people put Kansas in with the same as Minnesota and Michigan? Is Wichita a Midwestern City? What about KC, Lawrence, Joplin, Tulsa, Jefferson City, etc? The boundaries are ambiguous. State boundaries do not and should not determine a region. If one draws lines determining a region like the Midwest or South, the lines need to be very wide, fuzzy, large transition zones that mesh one culture with another. In the end, Oklahoma is Oklahoma. A Great Plains state. I think we can all agree with that. However, in my opinion, Oklahoma is a southern state with southwestern and midwestern influences but then again, the line is very fuzzy.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:20 PM

80 posts, read 80,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj7 View Post
Does it boggle your mind that people put Kansas in with the same as Minnesota and Michigan? Is Wichita a Midwestern City? What about KC, Lawrence, Joplin, Tulsa, Jefferson City, etc? The boundaries are ambiguous. State boundaries do not and should not determine a region. If one draws lines determining a region like the Midwest or South, the lines need to be very wide, fuzzy, large transition zones that mesh one culture with another. In the end, Oklahoma is Oklahoma. A Great Plains state. I think we can all agree with that. However, in my opinion, Oklahoma is a southern state with southwestern and midwestern influences but then again, the line is very fuzzy.
No, it doesn't boggle my mind at all! There are qualities that the Midwestern states share, like a high prevalence of people with German ancestry.

I think of the Great Plains as being a geographic feature much in the same vein as the East Coast, for example. Is the East Coast uniform? Is there an East Coast culture? Geographic regions and cultural regions are not at all the same, and terms like "the South" and "the Midwest" denote cultural regions. That isn't to say that the Great Plains are not influencing culture; inconsistent rainfall, windy conditions, shared Dust Bowl experiences, ranching, agricultural cooperation have shaped the lives of people in this particular area. But on Sundays the farmers in Oklahoma and Texas will attend a Southern Baptist church while in Nebraska they might be going to a Lutheran church, for example. But there is no overarching Great Plains accent, no Great Plains cuisine, no Great Plains culture.

You are absolutely right that there are transition zones, and I think that somewhere around Northern Oklahoma and Southern Kansas it becomes culturally more like the Midwest. Northwest Oklahoma largely was settled by the very same demographic that settled Kansas, Nebraska, etc., but you won't find a lot of Southern accents or Southern Baptists in Kansas like you will even in the more Midwestern areas of Oklahoma.

Last edited by Studying Okie; 04-09-2015 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: wording

Old 04-09-2015, 07:17 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,131,465 times
Quote:
=kdb05f;39123384]Oklahoma wasn't a state but was part of the Confederacy.
This is true. It was a territory (Indian) claimed by the Confederacy as a majority of the native-Americans (of the five tribes) declared themselves allied with the CSA.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
=Studying Okie;39145883]Bass&Catfish2008, it boggles my mind that people think Oklahoma would be in the same region as states like Minnesota, Illinois, Michigan, etc. but I am open to the possibility that some people have had a different experience in Oklahoma than I have. I understand why people from other parts of the South would visit Oklahoma and see the Great Plains (red dirt, pump jacks, wheat farms) and think they've left the South, but I don't see how anyone can deny that most Okies are Southerners. Do Southern accents become Midwestern accents just because they're on the plains??[/
Agree totally, and I have never even lived in Oklahoma. Something about the state, when considered, conjures up images of the Plains and "Middle-America", which is true so far as it goes. But the basic character of Oklahoma is Southern. It might not seem that way to people in Mississippi or Georgia, but it really is...at least two-thirds of it, at any rate.

Now, don't get me wrong. When my beloved 'Horns play them Sooner's in the Cotton Bowl, then hell's belle's, I don't even think of them Okies as part of the same country, much less the South....hear me Bass&Catfish...? Hee Hee

Still though, check out it's state meal. It would make any Southerner's mouth water....

Oklahoma State Meal

Old 04-10-2015, 08:16 AM

2,825 posts, read 3,276,304 times
It's funny because I'll run into people in North Carolina who don't believe Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Missouri are in the South. They're called "Ozark states" sometimes. It's interesting, but like I said, Tulsa struck me as a little southern when I visited but definitely not Oklahoma City. Oklahoma City just seemed a little too far west, but only IMO. Remember, I'm coming from Raleigh.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:24 AM

2,825 posts, read 3,276,304 times
Reb, I have to ask a question. Do you believe the Austin area is very southern? Or not so much? Just curious.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:59 AM

352 posts, read 551,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

Still though, check out it's state meal. It would make any Southerner's mouth water....

Oklahoma State Meal
They have a State Meal!.

Can you walk into restaurants and say "I'll have the state meal" and you'll get it.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
=JayJayCB;39165818]Reb, I have to ask a question. Do you believe the Austin area is very southern? Or not so much? Just curious.
No, I don't JJ. Old Austin, yes. Get off the beaten path and one will still find the South in Austin. Today, not at all. It is California moved east. I am not saying that is bad, I am just saying it is not traditional Texas much less the South in general.

To put it in blunt terms, people from San Francisco would probably feel more at home in today's Austin than would people from Waco, even though they are in the same state.

What say you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or