Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which non-Confederate state is the most Southern?
Oklahoma 63 23.33%
Kentucky 163 60.37%
West Virginia 44 16.30%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 11:22 PM

39 posts, read 26,076 times

Advertisements

I would consider Kentucky and West Virginia more Southern then Oklahoma
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 12:43 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,755,174 times
Kentucky > Oklahoma > West Virginia in Southerness

Old 06-23-2015, 02:01 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,232,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
Kentucky > Oklahoma > West Virginia in Southerness
The study by Knotts and Cooper, Rethinking the Boundaries of the South (Southern Studies, 2010), actually place Kentucky in the mid-range of "southern-ness", the third tier consists of Virginia, West Virginia and Oklahoma.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:34 PM

977 posts, read 561,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
Maryland and Delaware we're never even confederate they we're union states, southern or not.
That was kind of the premise of OP's question, wasn't it? OP chose Kentucky, Oklahoma and W. Virginia precisely because those states were NOT part of the Confederacy.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:44 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,640,777 times
I predict these three states (KY, OK & WV) will retain more Southern character and culture, overall, than states that are further south and more traditionally "Southern" (e.g., GA, NC & TX) because they're not necessarily magnets for transplants and/or immigrants, although OK in particular has been improving in that department.

Just my $0.02.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:22 PM

5,543 posts, read 9,450,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
I predict these three states (KY, OK & WV) will retain more Southern character and culture, overall, than states that are further south and more traditionally "Southern" (e.g., GA, NC & TX) because they're not necessarily magnets for transplants and/or immigrants, although OK in particular has been improving in that department.

Just my $0.02.
Good thinking. Transplantation plays a huge role. Just look at most of Virginia, the Raleigh/Durham area, and Atlanta (not to mention a lot of Florida below the panhandle).

The states which have the least transplants will have the least diluted Southern culture.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:05 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,496,340 times
I honestly think, from experience there as well as conversation, West Virginia is an almost 50/50 combination of both northern and southern culture with a hefty dose of uniqueness. You can find places there that feel as though they belong in the south and others that seem as though you are in the northeast.

Kentucky is similar but not identical. A lot of Midwestern influence resides through-out Kentucky and yet its southern identity prevails dominantly by comparison. I consider Kentucky a southern state but like any state along the border it has a little of both worlds inside.

Oklahoma has that frontier vibe like Texas but also has the proper-Dixieland feeling to the east, much like Texas. These two states are what I like to call the "frontier south". Whereas New Mexico on are south-western; a unique region of its own.

Oklahoma was settled primarily by Tennesseans, Arkansans, Carolinians, etc. The result being a distinct southern flavor especially in its eastern region.

Oklahoma and Kentucky are equally southern in my eyes. Both states embody the border areas of the south with Midwestern highlights here and there.

West Virginia has more of a internal identity as it not only sits at a cultural and geographical cross-roads but also has a culture all its own that only a few minor areas of its neighbors share. It has as many ties to the north as it does the south and if one had to pigeon-hole it into either it could be done. I prefer to think of it as being both and neither simultaneously.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:32 AM

5,543 posts, read 9,450,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I honestly think, from experience there as well as conversation, West Virginia is an almost 50/50 combination of both northern and southern culture with a hefty dose of uniqueness. You can find places there that feel as though they belong in the south and others that seem as though you are in the northeast.

Kentucky is similar but not identical. A lot of Midwestern influence resides through-out Kentucky and yet its southern identity prevails dominantly by comparison. I consider Kentucky a southern state but like any state along the border it has a little of both worlds inside.

Oklahoma has that frontier vibe like Texas but also has the proper-Dixieland feeling to the east, much like Texas. These two states are what I like to call the "frontier south". Whereas New Mexico on are south-western; a unique region of its own.

Oklahoma was settled primarily by Tennesseans, Arkansans, Carolinians, etc. The result being a distinct southern flavor especially in its eastern region.

Oklahoma and Kentucky are equally southern in my eyes. Both states embody the border areas of the south with Midwestern highlights here and there.

West Virginia has more of a internal identity as it not only sits at a cultural and geographical cross-roads but also has a culture all its own that only a few minor areas of its neighbors share. It has as many ties to the north as it does the south and if one had to pigeon-hole it into either it could be done. I prefer to think of it as being both and neither simultaneously.
Good insights, CookieSkoon.

I always find your posts balanced and educational.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:34 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,496,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Good insights, CookieSkoon.

I always find your posts balanced and educational.
Thanks! I try.

I spend perhaps too much free time thinking about this stuff. Maybe it was all that Age of Empires or Civilization I've played but the world's history, cultures and geography fascinate me.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:55 PM

7,469 posts, read 6,195,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Oklahoma, Kentucky, and West Virginia are commonly associated with Southern culture but were not part of the Confederacy. I didn't include Missouri in this poll because above I-44 it is decidedly Midwestern and that is where most of the state's population resides. So which one of these non-Confederate states do you think is the most Southern?
Some where down the PC road, you may have to edit the title of your thread and remove that offensive word
"Confederacy"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.