Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which non-Confederate state is the most Southern?
Oklahoma 63 23.33%
Kentucky 163 60.37%
West Virginia 44 16.30%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 01:32 PM

10,269 posts, read 13,789,503 times

Advertisements

Kentucky and West Virginia seem very Southern to me. Even though they were part of the Union, the culture seems to be very Southern. Oklahoma seems like a crossroads to me since it shares borders with Western, Southern, and Midwestern states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 03:44 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,070,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Wish you HAD put Missouri in here, because Oklahoma is Southern and Western (not Midwestern at all) and Missouri is Southern (not Midwestern except in the St. Louis area - even Columbia is pretty Southern). But Kentucky is pure Southern.
LMAO, what are you on? Except in the St. Louis area? Have you ever been to Missouri? To Kansas City? To Columbia? Jefferson City? IT doesn't sound at all like you have. All of these cities decidedly lean toward the Midwest. Some of the outlying rural areas may still have pockets of southern dialect and culture, but Missouri is by and large more Midwestern than it is southern by today's standards. It is exactly as bchris02 says. I've lived here for almost 27 years and I work a job where I go all over the state for a living. THe only parts of the state which are southern are in the far southeast part of the state.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Some might argue that Kentucky is in fact not purely southern. Hell, the state borders Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio, so I wouldn't doubt there's some Midwestern influence found in KY. Also, while I don't know the city well, I don't think it would be far-fetched to say that Louisville is probably more culturally similar to Indianapolis and Cincinnati than it is Atlanta or Memphis.
That's what I thought until I visited there. Louisville is far more similar to Memphis and Atlanta in terms of culture than to Indianapolis or Cincinnati. Virtually ZERO similarity between Louisville and those two cities.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:47 PM

While Kentucky would probably be my vote, anyone who thinks Oklahoma isn't the south needs to look at its history, demographics, and linguistics. After the Civil War and from the time of its creation, OKlahoma has always behaved like a southern state. It even was part of the Cotton Belt along with Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, etc.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:34 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,546,431 times
Of course, it all depends on how you define "Southern". For example, yes, I HAVE travelled all over the state of Missouri. Have you ever been to Kirksville? Hannibal? Brookfield? Nevada? Because all of those places and the small towns in-between read very Southern to me. I lived in Oklahoma for 7 years, and now live just over the border from Missouri in Iowa and would even classify some south central and southeastern Iowa towns as Southern. One can also take a look at city-data.com and read the religion and political stats. Most of Missouri, except in industrial areas, is very Republican and very Christian, which is part of MY interpretation of Southernness. (I look at the 2004 results, since 2008 is skewed with anti-incumbantism and 2012 isn't up yet.) If you asked anyone in Kirksville whether they identify more with people in Memphis or people in Indianapolis, which would they pick?

Old 01-20-2013, 04:36 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,233,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
In West Virginia, draw a line from Huntington to Sutton to Elkins. Everything north of it is Midwestern; everything south of it is Southern.
That somewhat closely follows the county vote on secession from the US in 1861, the counties in green voted to secede from the Union along with the rest of Virginia. People are unaware that most of West Virginia was forcibly taken for the new state in 1863 and was an official part of the Confederacy.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Wvmapagain.png

File:Wvmapagain.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by JMT; 01-21-2013 at 06:46 AM..

Old 01-20-2013, 04:47 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,756,237 times
The poll should just be Kentucky and Oklahoma. West Virginia's more comparable to Maryland, Delaware, and Missouri.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:50 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,882,393 times
IMO Kentucky is easily the most Southern of these three state. I think Louisville and Lexington feel more southern that the cities in the other two states. Bourbon, horses, lots of Baptists and Methodists. It is on the border, but it is the only of the three that I would regularly include in a list of southern states.

Oklahoma is more a mix of southern and western. West Virginia is more applachian/rust belt.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:51 PM

72,834 posts, read 62,219,258 times
To me, Oklahoma is more western with southern influences.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:11 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,271,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Virtually ZERO similarity between Louisville and those two cities.
Well, Louisville is less than a two hour drive to both cities, and part of Cincinnati's metro is actually in Kentucky, so I find that hard to believe. I know that geographic distance isn't everything, but it has to count for something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.