U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-24-2013, 05:42 AM
 
Location: Atlanta & NYC
6,620 posts, read 11,713,882 times
Reputation: 6603

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
That's an Alpaca. Your argument is invalid.
Damn I just got pwned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-24-2013, 07:54 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,474,678 times
Reputation: 36100
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
One look at the Grand Canyon, hike in Sedona, the saguaro cacti, or a colorful desert sunset and every petty thing you described in your posts woulkd melt away and would be furthest thing from my mind. I don't support SB 1070, however I visit Arizona because it's an exceptionally beautiful state with great weather to boot. That's good enough for me and I'm sure many visiting the state with different political persuasions would agree.
There are countries in the world that are just as beautiful as Arizona, if not more so,and your Treasury Department, working for you, has made it a criminal offense for you to enter into any financial transaction that would economically benefit those countries in any way. If the US Government systematically institutionalizes boycotting for political reasons and enforces it with criminal sanctions, who are you to say "but it has pretty cactuses".

The US government has a list a mile long of "terrorist organizations" and you can be sent to prison for donating a dollar to an orphanage that one of those organizations has also donated a dollar to. In my opinion, Sheriff Joe is a terrorist organization, much worse than most of those on the no-fly list, because he is in a position of huge discretionary power, with deployed weaponry to back him up. And he has the support and endorsement of the democratic majority of the people of Arizona, whom I refuse to reward for that political posture, even if they're WalMart greeters who depend on my travel purchase while passing through. In America, the people themselves are responsible for their government's actions, and liable for the consequences of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 10:34 AM
 
Location: northern Vermont - previously NM, WA, & MA
9,475 posts, read 18,418,118 times
Reputation: 11940
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There are countries in the world that are just as beautiful as Arizona, if not more so,and your Treasury Department, working for you, has made it a criminal offense for you to enter into any financial transaction that would economically benefit those countries in any way. If the US Government systematically institutionalizes boycotting for political reasons and enforces it with criminal sanctions, who are you to say "but it has pretty cactuses".

The US government has a list a mile long of "terrorist organizations" and you can be sent to prison for donating a dollar to an orphanage that one of those organizations has also donated a dollar to. In my opinion, Sheriff Joe is a terrorist organization, much worse than most of those on the no-fly list, because he is in a position of huge discretionary power, with deployed weaponry to back him up. And he has the support and endorsement of the democratic majority of the people of Arizona, whom I refuse to reward for that political posture, even if they're WalMart greeters who depend on my travel purchase while passing through. In America, the people themselves are responsible for their government's actions, and liable for the consequences of it.
So you spout off a a whole laundry list bunch of political jibba jabba then suggest the Grand Canyon is mediocre, that I should leave the country, and that I have a hell a nerve to suggest that I think places like Saguaro National Park are beautiful? Sorry if I don't have a political chip on my shoulder but I just don't buy into that kind of hysteria. I'd rather enjoy life and not consume myself with such things nor do I choose to let them affect me. And seriously you live in Texas where there are an abundance of crooked politicians just like many other states. Arizona is exceptionally beautiful and a nearby enjoyable getaway for me in which I can easily afford and not have to leave the country for and a place where I can easily forget a cynical worldview.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 01-24-2013 at 11:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,474,678 times
Reputation: 36100
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
So you spout off a a whole laundry list bunch of political jibba jabba then suggest the Grand Canyon is mediocre, that I should leave the country, and that I have a hell a nerve to suggest that I think places like Saguaro National Park are beautiful? Sorry if I don't have a political chip on my shoulder but I just don't buy into that kind of hysteria. I'd rather enjoy life and not consume myself with such things nor do I choose to let them affect me. And seriously you live in Texas where there are an abundance of crooked politicians just like many other states. Arizona is exceptionally beautiful and a nearby enjoyable getaway for me in which I can easily afford and not have to leave the country for and a place where I can easily forget a cynical worldview.
I never suggested that you leave the country, so your patently abusive insults are misdirected. I said your government that you are so proud of has made it a criminal act to leave the country and spend a dollar in a place that you are forced to boycott, presumably because the people you voted for think boycotting is a really effective way of cowing and punishing ordinary working people whose government you don't agree with.

In America, you can just vote dictators out of office, except in Arizona the majority re-elect them, and I refuse to support them when I can spend my money elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 11:49 AM
 
10,569 posts, read 13,173,581 times
Reputation: 6374
The South
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 12:20 PM
 
171 posts, read 276,118 times
Reputation: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I never suggested that you leave the country, so your patently abusive insults are misdirected. I said your government that you are so proud of has made it a criminal act to leave the country and spend a dollar in a place that you are forced to boycott, presumably because the people you voted for think boycotting is a really effective way of cowing and punishing ordinary working people whose government you don't agree with.

In America, you can just vote dictators out of office, except in Arizona the majority re-elect them, and I refuse to support them when I can spend my money elsewhere.
It's kind of hypocritical of you to spout off your nonsense about what is criminal in our country when illegally entering our country is also considered a criminal offense. So you are now cherry-picking which criminal offenses you wish to highlight or support so it suits your agenda?

Let me ask you this:

Arizona is in an unfortunate position of being quite the entryway for illegal activity coming into our country. Have you spent anytime in Arizona to understand the day-to-day lifestyle or politics or are you basing this off of what the media tells you? Have you ever paid taxes in AZ to educate, hospitalize, or incarcerate illegal entrants? Have you ever had your personal identification or social security information stolen and used by someone who is not a citizen of this country? Is there anyone close to you who is following the correct process of applying for citizenship to our country (years and $$) only to still be on a waiting list while others are given a free pass? Have you ever had property stolen or been in an accident and had to pay out of pocket because the person who hit you was an illegal who wasn't carrying insurance (nor a driver's license), yet you gave them a free pass because they promised you they would pay, but skipped out on it? As a tax-paying citizen, has your child ever lost out on grants or scholarships to attend a specific university because the university chose to offer them to illegal immigrants instead? Have you read SB1070 in its entirety to fully understand what it is you are protesting? Have you read the law that states it is a crime to be in this country illegally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Murrieta California
2,997 posts, read 3,768,573 times
Reputation: 2137
Politics is an absurd reason to boycott a state. The only reason I wouldn't visit a state is because I don't like its weather, topography, etc. Arizona is a beautiful state with good weather so people that boycott it for some ridiculous political reason are the losers. I have lived in and/or visited 41 of the states. I just haven't got to the rest of them yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 01:05 PM
 
Location: northern Vermont - previously NM, WA, & MA
9,475 posts, read 18,418,118 times
Reputation: 11940
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I never suggested that you leave the country, so your patently abusive insults are misdirected. I said your government that you are so proud of has made it a criminal act to leave the country and spend a dollar in a place that you are forced to boycott, presumably because the people you voted for think boycotting is a really effective way of cowing and punishing ordinary working people whose government you don't agree with.

In America, you can just vote dictators out of office, except in Arizona the majority re-elect them, and I refuse to support them when I can spend my money elsewhere.
First of all don't put words in my mouth, I never said anything indicating pride in the government. Second, there are some things in this world that I choose to not let affect me and tuning into that much political hysteria would make me crazy. And third, there are horrible politicians getting re-elected in your home state of Texas and many other states as well, though I don't reside in them so I won't worry about what I can't control. I enjoy scenery and healthy outdoor recreation and I certainly won't let cynical political matters get in the way of that. Arizona in my eyes is not a political text book, it's just a beautiful state that I enjoy visiting. That's all I need to be concerned with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 01:12 PM
 
10,569 posts, read 13,173,581 times
Reputation: 6374
I hate AZ, I'll add it to my list of the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
5,665 posts, read 7,479,844 times
Reputation: 4331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I hate AZ, I'll add it to my list of the South.
Yes, we've gathered that because that's all you like to post about. Anything new and interesting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top