U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 02:05 PM

171 posts, read 275,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
HB 2162 had to be enacted a week later to modify SB 1070, exactly because even Arizona bigots recognized that SB 1070 called for abuse of constitutional rights. HB 2162 introduces the probable cause provision to any SB 1070 detention. Arizona's government, by the will, advice and consent of the majority of the electorate has clearly stated its desire to trample the constitutional and natural rights of the people, and I will boycott all relevant participants (which includes the electorate) in this swashbuckling adventure until I see evidence that their attitude has been brought into conformity with my own and that of other civilized people..
Why don't you pipe down on the "bigot" talk. Chances are, you know next to nothing about the people of Arizona just like you know next to nothing about the situation in AZ. In addition, it sounds as though you wish to boycott "anything or anyone" that does not conform to your own attitude (good word). Yup, that's really civilized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 02:25 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,438,315 times
absolutely not - there are places I enjoy and some that I haven't .... different strokes and what not

as for the AZ stuff - way too much misinformation and bigotry being presented to even attempt to correct ... and much like some misguided boycott any attempt to help inform said people is a waste of effort

Old 01-25-2013, 02:50 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,292,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleBrat View Post
Why don't you pipe down on the "bigot" talk. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleBrat View Post
It's kind of hypocritical of you to spout off your nonsense
As soon as you pipe down on the "hypocritical" and "spout off" and "nonsense" talk.

bigot
noun
a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:23 PM

2,996 posts, read 3,751,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
Actually, boycotts often do change policies. There was an earlier boycott of Arizona for its failure to enact a Martin Luther King Day holiday. Within a couple of years, the governor changed course and got an MLK day holiday enacted.

If boycotts had no effect, the state involved wouldn't care. In fact, the state of Arizona was very concerned about all the boycotts, all the conventions that were being cancelled. I don't know if that had anything to do with slightly moderating immigration legislation (legally the role of the federal government) that was passed last year. But clearly the state's leaders didn't yawn and say oh well.

On an international scale, there was a major campaign in the 1980's to force institutions to divest themselves of companies doing business in South Africa. The campaign became a major problem for the South African government and led to economic problems that helped bring down the apartheid government. It will be interesting to see if the current movement for divestment from gun-related businesses has similar success.

The free marketeers keep telling me I have "consumer sovereignty." If I have consumer sovereignty, what is wrong with my using it to not support people doing things I find repugnant?

I suspect that many of you aren't necessarily against the idea of boycotts per se, but just don't support the politics of the Arizona boycott. Have you come and stayed in a San Francisco hotel lately? Surely you wouldn't want to miss a city that's often rated the best visitors' city in the world. Have you been buying maple syrup and other products from gay marriage leader Vermont? Etc.
Yes, I have stayed in San Francisco lately. I love the city. And yes, I purchase maple syrup from Vermont. I also like Arizona. In other words, I believe that politics is a stupid reason to boycott a state.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:30 PM

2,996 posts, read 3,751,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
As soon as you pipe down on the "hypocritical" and "spout off" and "nonsense" talk.

bigot
noun
a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.
Why don't you just do everybody a favor and agree to stay in Texas.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:51 PM

13,358 posts, read 7,030,942 times
No, I don't boycott states. I would do the opposite, though, and support states or merchants subjected to boycotts I don't agree with. If I had the money or time to, I'd love to take a trip to Arizona for this reason.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:18 PM
JJG

13,248 posts, read 19,187,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Why don't you just do everybody a favor and agree to stay in Texas.
We don't want 'em.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:21 AM

34,692 posts, read 33,704,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Do you refuse to buy products made in certain states or refuse to travel to certain states because you dislike their politics or culture?
I'm 61. I've been to 33 states. I have yet to be in one where the entire state has the same politics or culture.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:29 AM

21,697 posts, read 23,676,966 times
One of the most liberal minded lesbians I know lives in the state of Arizona. I guess no one told her she isn't supposed to.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:03 PM

4,800 posts, read 10,583,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Do you refuse to buy products made in certain states or refuse to travel to certain states because you dislike their politics or culture?
No. The main reason I vacation to different states is enjoy the climate, parks and other natural attractions so politics doesn't even enter into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or