U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 09:19 AM

32,394 posts, read 55,232,782 times

Advertisements

I like to support local businesses and products, but don't boycott something because it was made or produced in another state---that's dumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 09:44 AM

7,325 posts, read 15,374,603 times
Not so much because of the state but the distance - I don't buy, for instance, packages of chicken labeled "southern grown" at the store. It isn't because they are from the south, particularly, but because it is from the worst of the mass commercial grow and package areas. If I have to pay more for local, then I just eat a little less chicken.

I'd rather buy local, defined first as my immediate area, then my state, the NW, the west coast - because I think it is foolish and a waste of resources to truck things across the entire country.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:29 AM

10,168 posts, read 6,503,765 times
Do you boycott certain states?

Certainly not. What kind of stupid question is that?

Old 01-21-2013, 12:41 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,346,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
But don't you realize that you are also hurting those employees as much as you may be hurting their employers? You can always complain to management if you see something you don't like in the way it treats its employees. I have done that. But by withholding your patronage of the business, you are witholding hour support of the people who are trying to earn a living there.
In most cases, treatment of employees occurs at the middle management level, where poor sales can impact their job tenure. The employees draw their wage whether I shop there or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Only mississippi. . . . the fact you cant find any radio station that plays anything except gospel and country
Mississippi, paradoxically, is one of the few states that has an effective state-wide network of public radio transmitters, so you can pick up NPR anywhere in the state.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:04 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,332,237 times
My partner and I now avoid travelling to states that do not have either marriage equality or a strong same-sex civil unions law. The one exception to this is Pennsylvania, since we live so terribly close, but those are short trips in for a few hours at a time, not going there for holiday breaks and so forth.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:31 PM

6,016 posts, read 6,382,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Yes I avoid Delaware at all costs. Everything about it just seems so offensive and attrocious. I can't think of a state that is more influentually opressive than Delaware. I actively boycott Delaware and encourage everyone else to do so as well if you know whats good for you. In fact I started a group to march on the Washington Mall next weekend, Stop Delaware!
Hah! I feel that way about Minnesota. I just hate everything about that state! I mean the way Minnesotans talk, it's like they think they live in Canada or something. And their cities are just way too clean... it's like, are they intentionally trying to make the rest of America look bad? It's terrible. And what kind of place has "Twin Cities" anyway? Why wouldn't you just have one big city? Ridiculous! And anyone willing to put up with those kinds of winters has got to have a few screws loose if ya ask me. So in short, yes I do boycott Minnesota

Old 01-21-2013, 04:40 PM

709 posts, read 808,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Yes I avoid Delaware at all costs. Everything about it just seems so offensive and attrocious. I can't think of a state that is more influentually opressive than Delaware. I actively boycott Delaware and encourage everyone else to do so as well if you know whats good for you. In fact I started a group to march on the Washington Mall next weekend, Stop Delaware!
Rhode Island! It should be annexed into Connecticut.Just so offensive!

Old 01-21-2013, 04:58 PM

13,300 posts, read 10,509,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Here's a article from the Arizona Republic listing some of the many cities and counties that boycotted/boycott Arizona.
http://www.azcentral.com/business/ar...otts-list.html
Add me to that list! They were the last state to knowledge MLK day, They have a crazy ass sheriff running around like he is Rambo, And finally until they get rid of that disrespectful old hag of a governor I will not set foot in that state!

Old 01-21-2013, 07:14 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,041,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Add me to that list! They were the last state to knowledge MLK day, They have a crazy ass sheriff running around like he is Rambo, And finally until they get rid of that disrespectful old hag of a governor I will not set foot in that state!
That's very helpful to the over 900,000 registered Democrats and many progressive people there. It's nice that blue state liberals abandon their allies in the places where help is needed the most while conservatives groups will throw any support they can give to any republican candidate in any "blue" area.

Another unfortunate result of the many county and municipal governments boycotting travel to Arizona is the harsh effect it had on the tens of thousands of Mexican citizen employees at hotels, restaurants, and resorts(most boycotts were travel restrictions). The boycott played into the AZ republican's hands by helping to drive out more Mexican citizens by eliminating demand in industries that heavily employed them (no, it didn't free up jobs for Americans since it was the height of the recession). The law (SB 1070) was never going to be enforced, it would've been astronomically expensive for AZ. We were ground zero for the housing collapse. At that time our state couldn't afford to put toilet paper in interstate rest stops. Arresting, incarcerating, trying, and deporting the over 450,000 known illegal people in Maricopa county was impossible. The intent of the law was to scare Mexican people into moving away, something the boycott and the recession were far more successful at.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:11 PM

13,300 posts, read 10,509,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
That's very helpful to the over 900,000 registered Democrats and many progressive people there. It's nice that blue state liberals abandon their allies in the places where help is needed the most while conservatives groups will throw any support they can give to any republican candidate in any "blue" area.

Another unfortunate result of the many county and municipal governments boycotting travel to Arizona is the harsh effect it had on the tens of thousands of Mexican citizen employees at hotels, restaurants, and resorts(most boycotts were travel restrictions). The boycott played into the AZ republican's hands by helping to drive out more Mexican citizens by eliminating demand in industries that heavily employed them (no, it didn't free up jobs for Americans since it was the height of the recession). The law (SB 1070) was never going to be enforced, it would've been astronomically expensive for AZ. We were ground zero for the housing collapse. At that time our state couldn't afford to put toilet paper in interstate rest stops. Arresting, incarcerating, trying, and deporting the over 450,000 known illegal people in Maricopa county was impossible. The intent of the law was to scare Mexican people into moving away, something the boycott and the recession were far more successful at.
Glad to be of assistance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or