Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 11:25 AM

178 posts, read 583,365 times

Advertisements

What is as far away to a major city that you could/want to live?

And what is as close to a major city that you could see yourself/family etc. living (in hours/minutes)?

(lets say commutes to work won't play a factor in this, even if you take public transportation)

Also would proximity change if it were to a smaller city?

And how often would you use/visit a larger city VS a smaller city?

I am a country lover, but I don't think I have ever lived more than an hour or so from a major city (Boston, Philadelphia, Portland-ME, etc) and much closer to smaller cities. (Portsmouth, NH, Allentown, PA, Newport, RI etc) However I find myself getting much more use out of the smaller cities, for say food, hospitals, shopping, than I do the larger ones-which I only use for major events like parades, shows, gardens, events, airports etc. I think in part because I am used to no traffic, easy parking, less crowded areas, and find going into a large city to be a hassle. But I also don't think I could live like 5 hours away from a major city, like some people do.

Curious as to others opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 01:29 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
I love humans and i live in a apartment building where everyone knows eachothers names and everyone is friendly. When i lived in the suburbs with my parents, we lived in a culdesac and everyone also knew eachother. I couldn't imagine living in the country being so far away from my neighbors.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:08 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,288,511 times
We live five hours (in good weather, with no construction) from a city of 300K. Anything larger requires at least one flight. But we don't live in "the country." We have sidewalks and friendly neighbors and a regular suburban-sized lot. I can walk to the grocery store, the post office, and pretty much anywhere else in town. I wouldn't mind having a shorter drive to Anchorage, but I don't think I'd want Anchorage people closer to us (because then they'd come here more!) Anchorage is about the biggest city I'd want to go to on any sort of regular basis. We actually like Fairbanks a lot more (it's six or more hours away) because it's smaller and has less traffic and "city people." It has less than 100K people.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:58 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
I grew up in Hyde Park, NY about 90 minutes north of NYC.
We were heavily influence by NYC media (Radio/Television), along with hippy culture brewing across the river in Woodstock

Our home was next to a horse farm and a small family farm.

A short walk through the woods brought us too The Eleanor Roosevelt Home and FDRs Top Cottage (where he famously served hotdogs to the King of England)

Our neighbors were a good support system, everyone new each other, but stayed out of each other's business.

Wineries on the other side of the River. The Culinary Institute had a huge influence on the local restaurant scene.

Great local clubs and music (the Ramones, David Johansen and Twisted Sister were such regulars at one local club that they were almost considered house bands. Also saw U-2 (still hyphenated at the time), the Police and the Talking Heads before they made it big)

Good solid arts scene. If indy films were playing in NY, they were problem playing in nearby Rhinebeck.

NYC was an easy and inexpensive MetroNorth Trip down the Hudson.

Boston and Philadelphia were 3 hour trips, Montreal and DC were easy 5 hour trips

It was the perfect place to grow up.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:05 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernNE View Post
What is as far away to a major city that you could/want to live?

And what is as close to a major city that you could see yourself/family etc. living (in hours/minutes)?

(lets say commutes to work won't play a factor in this, even if you take public transportation)

Also would proximity change if it were to a smaller city?

And how often would you use/visit a larger city VS a smaller city?

I am a country lover, but I don't think I have ever lived more than an hour or so from a major city (Boston, Philadelphia, Portland-ME, etc) and much closer to smaller cities. (Portsmouth, NH, Allentown, PA, Newport, RI etc) However I find myself getting much more use out of the smaller cities, for say food, hospitals, shopping, than I do the larger ones-which I only use for major events like parades, shows, gardens, events, airports etc. I think in part because I am used to no traffic, easy parking, less crowded areas, and find going into a large city to be a hassle. But I also don't think I could live like 5 hours away from a major city, like some people do.

Curious as to others opinions.

Im with you, but I also live right near you. I love living in the country, but it is VERY convienient to be somewhat close to a smaller city where I can city-ish type things if I choose. I find the smaller like manchester NH to have enough options to to keep me satisified. I rarely find the need to go into a larger city such as boston, but its nice that its only an hour away.

I dont think i could live too far away from a small city as I would find it very inconvient. I guess I want the best of both worlds, and I feel I have it in south central NH.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:13 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Defining "large city" as over 100,000 population, it has been more than 20 years since I've lived within 125 miles of one. But I have passed through some on the interstate while traveling, and visited relatives a couple of times in such urban environments. Large cities offer absolutely nothing that I need or desire. If there were no large cities on the face of the earth, it would not impact my lifestyle or aspirations a bit.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
Im with you, but I also live right near you. I love living in the country, but it is VERY convienient to be somewhat close to a smaller city where I can city-ish type things if I choose. I find the smaller like manchester NH to have enough options to to keep me satisified. I rarely find the need to go into a larger city such as boston, but its nice that its only an hour away.

I dont think i could live too far away from a small city as I would find it very inconvient. I guess I want the best of both worlds, and I feel I have it in south central NH.
USED to(

I am in SE PA now, and I miss New England A lot! But I don't miss the cold and long Winters! Since ALL of my family lives in one of the New England states, I need a big city for the airport. It is an 8 hour drive, but that's not always fun. I have the only grangkids of the family, and so we need to travel up there, and I am glad we do. Right now though, I feel like I CAN'T get into the country. I am probably an hour from Philly, and I still feel like I am just in suburbia. There are NO dead end streets. The only developments there are, are HOA type places, rows an rows of townhouse subdivisions, or if there are neighborhood, they all link into one another, and have little land. You drive through a chunk of farmland and then you are back to a busy downtown.....it's just bizarrely set up to me. The people here are so used to it, that when I have brought a few up to visit (populated small towns) they feel like they are totally in the boon docks! It's so funny to me!

Old 09-22-2012, 05:17 PM

141 posts, read 284,895 times
I don't think I would have to be that close to a major city. I would say a days drive would be fine. It would be nice to be within 5 hours of an INTL airport though. On the opposite spectrum I could not see myself living within an hour of a major city. I need quiet time where I can hike and only see nature for hours.
I am a few hours to Duluth and it has everything I need, but I rarely go there because it seems to large, maybe a few times a year. MPLS/STP gets a visit when I want to see a Twins game or use the airport, no other reason to go.
I have a grocery store/hardware store/liquor store so I am set.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDanger View Post
I don't think I would have to be that close to a major city. I would say a days drive would be fine. It would be nice to be within 5 hours of an INTL airport though. On the opposite spectrum I could not see myself living within an hour of a major city. I need quiet time where I can hike and only see nature for hours.
I am a few hours to Duluth and it has everything I need, but I rarely go there because it seems to large, maybe a few times a year. MPLS/STP gets a visit when I want to see a Twins game or use the airport, no other reason to go.
I have a grocery store/hardware store/liquor store so I am set.
Ranger-do all of your family and friends live nearby? Being so far from my family, an airport is needed Or I could probably live out in the middle of no where! That being said, the nice thing about living 1-2 hours North of Boston, you ARE in the middle of no where

Old 01-20-2013, 08:41 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,430,733 times
I started out in the country...hiking through woods as a child etc. Then strangely as I've aged I've seemed to have ended up in larger metro areas,not by plan of course. Even in my travels I always made sure to stay away from cities. Ironically I now live in a large city and it still bothers me every day...I just never adapted nor do I think I ever will. Country is in my blood and I hope to be able to move back some day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.