U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 03:03 AM

4,552 posts, read 13,464,766 times

Advertisements

In what states have you heard accents that you wouldnt think had accents and what kind are they?such as sometimes I hear people in Eastern New Mexico talk with a slight texas accent in some words and people in Northern New Mexico have a distinct spanish accent that others in New Mexico dont have.

What kind of accent is Oklahomas, is it an oklahoma accent or do they pick it up from the texans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 08:15 AM

884 posts, read 762,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
In what states have you heard accents that you wouldnt think had accents and what kind are they?such as sometimes I hear people in Eastern New Mexico talk with a slight texas accent in some words and people in Northern New Mexico have a distinct spanish accent that others in New Mexico dont have.

What kind of accent is Oklahomas, is it an oklahoma accent or do they pick it up from the texans.
Oklahomas is I think similar to Texas....maybe a bit more mild though. It's definitely country.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:18 AM

30,237 posts, read 67,392,683 times
People claim that those here in Northeastern Pennsylvania have an accent, even though I've never noticed it. I do notice a lot of muted NY and NJ accents, but that is only because we're becoming a "mutt" area for a wide range of NYC commuters. As far as the lifelong natives are concerned, I just don't hear it.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:19 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,873,289 times
Every state has an accent, most likely multiple accents. The only people who do not have accents are people who are mute.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:21 AM

4,464 posts, read 7,534,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
People claim that those here in Northeastern Pennsylvania have an accent, even though I've never noticed it. I do notice a lot of muted NY and NJ accents, but that is only because we're becoming a "mutt" area for a wide range of NYC commuters. As far as the lifelong natives are concerned, I just don't hear it.
There's definitely a NEPA accent. It's almost mid-western sounding, but there's a little twang to it.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:03 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,788,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post
Oklahomas is I think similar to Texas....maybe a bit more mild though. It's definitely country.
I think Oklahomans and Texans would vehemently disagree with the fact they sound like each other!!

Old 10-19-2007, 10:09 AM

697 posts, read 2,025,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I think Oklahomans and Texans would vehemently disagree with the fact they sound like each other!!
I thought the Oklahoma and Texas rivalry was a college football thing, between the Sooners and the Longhorns.

Do they dislike each other outside of football as well?

Old 10-19-2007, 10:15 AM

884 posts, read 762,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post

Well....I think they do.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:42 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,873,289 times
I can't tell the difference between someone from Oklahoma and Texas. Perhaps I have a tin ear but they sound alike to me.

But then again, I don't regularly speak with people from either of those states, if I did, then perhaps I'd be able to make that distinction.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:30 AM

152 posts, read 812,790 times
I think there was a linguistic study on this very topic. I remember the Pacific Northwest (Washington and Oregon) being the only states in the union with no determinable accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or