U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 03:49 PM

56,565 posts, read 80,847,919 times

Advertisements

Look into the Upstate NY and PA metros like Harrisburg, Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton and Scranton-Wilkes Barre.

Here are some companies in the Syracuse area your fiance may be interested in: Syracuse Electrical Engineer (Entry Level) Job - NY, 13201

https://anaren.silkroad.com/eposting...29&startflag=2

https://anaren.silkroad.com/eposting...evelid1=103706

Saab Sensis Corporation - Careers @ Saab Sensis

INFICON: Corporate Information

There's this company in Greene NY, about 20 minutes NE of Binghamton: Current Employment Opportunities - The Raymond Corporation

Here's one in Watertown NY, near the 1000 Islands, Lake Ontario and the Adirondacks, as well as Fort Drum Army Base: https://knorr-bremse-ats.silkroad.co...=app.jobsearch

There are others as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 11:45 AM

Here's another company: Jobs at PAR Government Systems Corporation

You may like this community nearby: Clinton, New York: Historic Village of Clinton, NY Shopping & Entertainment Travel Guide

Clinton, New York: Chamber of Commerce: Clinton, NY Business - Event Listing: located in Oneida County: home to Hamilton College, NY, 13323, Central ny, Clark Mills, Franklin Springs, Deansboro, Oriskany Falls, Utica, Central New York, Mohawk Valley,

Old 01-22-2013, 01:40 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,519,309 times
Springfield Ma, Hartford CT area fits to a T.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:11 PM

17,235 posts, read 19,531,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowFiend View Post
My fiance and I are interested in moving out of the Baltimore area in a few years and are currently considering our options.

Background - I grew up in NEPA, and my fiance grew up on Maryland's Eastern Shore. We both went to college at the University of Connecticut just NE of Hartford and really liked the area and the weather. Our only complaint was how extremely rural it was. We definitely don't want to live in the middle of the city, but having to drive ~30 minutes from our apartment to go grocery shopping at Big Y was a bit annoying! I know some people find northern Connecticut to be too cold, but it was fine for us. I would have liked some more snow, and although we still thought the summers (July and August, at least) were pretty hot and uncomfortable, the switch to fall seemed to happen very quickly in September, which was a good thing.

Here's generally what we're looking for:
Employment - My fiance is an Electrical Engineer working in circuit design. He has a secret clearance, if that helps. I have a degree in political science and am the Legislative Coordinator for a state-based non-profit organization. I would be willing to work for either another non-governmental organization or within a state government.
Traffic - We would prefer somewhere without nightmarish traffic. I was recently temporarily relocated to Baltimore City (I usually work in Annapolis), and I simply can't imagine dealing with that kind of traffic day in and day out for years on end. It is miserable.
Housing - We will probably want to buy a single family house with at least a small yard. By the time we move, we will probably be able to afford ~350k for a house. School districts are only a concern in terms of property value.
Weather - I have to admit, this aspect is pretty important to us, myself especially. If it weren't for the fact that we hate the weather in Maryland, we might be content enough to stay. We prefer cooler weather and snowier winters - 40-80 inches of snow on average would be ideal. We would like cooler, less humid, and most importantly SHORTER summers (I am really sick of waiting until November for summer to end!!).
Atmosphere - I have some reservations about moving out of a major metro area like the DC/Baltimore corridor, so I don't want to end up in the middle of nowhere. My fiance and I are pretty much homebodies, but if the mood strikes us, we'd like to be able to see a concert, attend a festival, or find something else to do without too much hassle. We'd also like to be close to grocery stores, malls, and restaurants for any essentials we need.
BONUS - Mountains. I love the mountains and It would be great to live close enough to them (or some impressive hills, maybe?) to actually be able to see them without going out of our way to travel to them. The costal plain is depressing. I realize this may be difficult/impossible.

We would like to stay on the east coast, so we've narrowed our *ideal* states down to Connecticut, Massachusetts, and New York. Albany seems to tick a lot of our boxes, but a lot of people on these forums seem to hate Albany and I'm worried that the winters are too dreary (the short days of winter don't bother us, but I'm not sure how we would react to constant cloudiness...we like a mix of interesting weather, and cold, sunny winter days are so nice!). However, it's most important to find a place that meets a lot of our criteria and provides good career opportunities for both of us.

Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated!
So, you find Pasadena, Maryland to be too crowded but Hartford, Connecticut to be extremely rural? Wow, that sounds hard to please. What population density are you looking for exactly?

Maybe you'll like living in a suburb of Philadelphia, like Norristown or something.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 01-22-2013 at 02:28 PM..

Old 01-22-2013, 02:16 PM

939 posts, read 1,608,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Charlottesville, Virginia could be a good option for you. It ticks all of your boxes in terms of criteria.
Summers in Cville are pretty bad... same basic climate as the DC area, but a little more hilly. Otherwise it's a great place.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:08 AM

11 posts, read 7,595 times
Thanks for the replies, they've been very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I agree that Burlington is a great suggestion. Also maybe Portsmouth, NH or Portland, ME. Both are pretty cool cities (Portland larger than Portsmouth), and a reasonable drive to Boston for occasional big-city stuff.

Don't know about the job situations in these places, but the geography, weather, and mix of being somewhat close yet removed from big cities seem right. I think job opportunities might be greater in Nashua or Manchester areas due to more rapid population growth there, but I understand traffic on the route 93 corridor is pretty bad.
The Nashua and Manchester suggestions is actually really good (depending on how bad the traffic would be), because it would put us close to Concord, where I would be able to more easily find a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Have you considered Pittsburgh? It's not in the mountains, per se, but sure is close. It's also fairly mild. Same with Philly, but if you couldn't stand DC/Baltimore I doubt you'd handle Philly. Boston seems ideal too.
I honestly hadn't considered Pittsburgh. I'm going to do some research on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
Move further inland to Central MD and it will already be five degrees colder year round. It's also not as crowded as Baltimore city.
If you seriously dislike any sort of crowdedness whatsoever, try Western MD (Cumberland, Hagerstown, but not Frederick) or the Pittsburgh area.
It would be great if we could move out to Western MD since we would still be close to family, but it seems like it the vast majority of jobs that would be right for us are concentrated in the Baltimore/DC area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Look into the Upstate NY and PA metros like Harrisburg, Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton and Scranton-Wilkes Barre.

Here are some companies in the Syracuse area your fiance may be interested in:
There are others as well.
Thanks for these links. A few of them sound very similar to what he does currently, and the headquarters of the company he works for is in Rochester. He's been to Rochester a few times and didn't seem to like it very much, but maybe we should look in to other areas of Upstate NY. That's sort of why Albany piqued my interest as well.
I grew up in the Scranton-WB area, and I don't think that would be quite right for us, although we love to visit once or twice a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
Springfield Ma, Hartford CT area fits to a T.
And they're very close to each other, too! We loved CT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, you find Pasadena, Maryland to be too crowded but Hartford, Connecticut to be extremely rural? Wow, that sounds hard to please. What population density are you looking for exactly?

Maybe you'll like living in a suburb of Philadelphia, like Norristown or something.
Haha, sorry, maybe I was unclear. We lived in Ashford, CT, about 40 minutes outside of Hartford (closer to Willimantic, actually), near the Storrs UConn campus. Ashford was a bit too rural for us. It just a little too far away from amenities like grocery stores and big box stores like Home Depot, Pet Smart, etc. However, this was our only real gripe about it. Pasadena is a little congested and built up with strip malls and communities where each house is practically right on top of the next, and once you get close to Baltimore, the traffic is kind of heavy. The rush hour traffic in downtown Baltimore is terrible. That was more what I meant when I said Connecticut was too rural and where I live is too congested. I hope that clarifies things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
Summers in Cville are pretty bad... same basic climate as the DC area, but a little more hilly. Otherwise it's a great place.
Yeah, that's exactly what I thought when I looked up the climate data. :/

Old 01-23-2013, 10:37 AM

You may want to look into this: New York's Tech Valley

Also, are you into winter activities? Are looking for a small town outside of a bigger city?

Old 01-23-2013, 11:07 AM

5,951 posts, read 7,319,432 times
How about Pittsburgh? Your finance should be able to find a job with an engineering degree in this area but I honestly have no idea on the demand for a political science degree. With traffic, while many here complain its nothing to Baltimore and DC for sure. With weather you will find the weather here to be just what you want as Pittsburgh averages 40-45 inches of snow in a normal winter (its higher north and east as you get closer to the lake effect or mountains), we average eight 90 F days in a summer, and true summer is usually only from mid June to late August (though it can occasionally get hot before and after of course). I do compare the weather between Pittsburgh and Baltimore as I have family there and its not unusual for Pittsburgh to be 10 degrees cooler than Baltimore often. Were also only about an hour's drive away from the laurel highland mountains which have many great outdoor activities and some decent skiing. Even in the city, it is very hilly and is something you will not see in any of the BosWash cities.

EDIT: You really should give a serious look at Pittsburgh as it truly does meet virtually all of the things that you want in the place you move to. I'd recommend for you and your fiancee to make a weekend visit to the city to see how you like it. Pittsburgh is only a little more than a 4 hour drive from Baltimore/DC.

Last edited by bradjl2009; 01-23-2013 at 11:51 AM..

Old 01-24-2013, 08:15 AM

I wonder if Morgantown WV could work, as it is an hour south of Pittsburgh and has a good economy centered around WVU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or