U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 10:15 AM

11 posts, read 7,596 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are interested in moving out of the Baltimore area in a few years and are currently considering our options.

Background - I grew up in NEPA, and my fiance grew up on Maryland's Eastern Shore. We both went to college at the University of Connecticut just NE of Hartford and really liked the area and the weather. Our only complaint was how extremely rural it was. We definitely don't want to live in the middle of the city, but having to drive ~30 minutes from our apartment to go grocery shopping at Big Y was a bit annoying! I know some people find northern Connecticut to be too cold, but it was fine for us. I would have liked some more snow, and although we still thought the summers (July and August, at least) were pretty hot and uncomfortable, the switch to fall seemed to happen very quickly in September, which was a good thing.

Here's generally what we're looking for:
Employment - My fiance is an Electrical Engineer working in circuit design. He has a secret clearance, if that helps. I have a degree in political science and am the Legislative Coordinator for a state-based non-profit organization. I would be willing to work for either another non-governmental organization or within a state government.
Traffic - We would prefer somewhere without nightmarish traffic. I was recently temporarily relocated to Baltimore City (I usually work in Annapolis), and I simply can't imagine dealing with that kind of traffic day in and day out for years on end. It is miserable.
Housing - We will probably want to buy a single family house with at least a small yard. By the time we move, we will probably be able to afford ~350k for a house. School districts are only a concern in terms of property value.
Weather - I have to admit, this aspect is pretty important to us, myself especially. If it weren't for the fact that we hate the weather in Maryland, we might be content enough to stay. We prefer cooler weather and snowier winters - 40-80 inches of snow on average would be ideal. We would like cooler, less humid, and most importantly SHORTER summers (I am really sick of waiting until November for summer to end!!).
Atmosphere - I have some reservations about moving out of a major metro area like the DC/Baltimore corridor, so I don't want to end up in the middle of nowhere. My fiance and I are pretty much homebodies, but if the mood strikes us, we'd like to be able to see a concert, attend a festival, or find something else to do without too much hassle. We'd also like to be close to grocery stores, malls, and restaurants for any essentials we need.
BONUS - Mountains. I love the mountains and It would be great to live close enough to them (or some impressive hills, maybe?) to actually be able to see them without going out of our way to travel to them. The costal plain is depressing. I realize this may be difficult/impossible.

We would like to stay on the east coast, so we've narrowed our *ideal* states down to Connecticut, Massachusetts, and New York. Albany seems to tick a lot of our boxes, but a lot of people on these forums seem to hate Albany and I'm worried that the winters are too dreary (the short days of winter don't bother us, but I'm not sure how we would react to constant cloudiness...we like a mix of interesting weather, and cold, sunny winter days are so nice!). However, it's most important to find a place that meets a lot of our criteria and provides good career opportunities for both of us.

Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 10:26 AM

14,111 posts, read 22,756,342 times
Move to Boston.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:35 AM

9,033 posts, read 8,747,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Move to Boston.
They want someplace without nightmarish traffic.

How about Burlington, VT?

Old 01-21-2013, 11:11 AM

11 posts, read 7,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
They want someplace without nightmarish traffic.

How about Burlington, VT?
Haha, pch1013, exactly. We considered Boston for a while, but once we heard about the insane transportation issues we decided to do more research.

I have a FB friend who just moved to Burlington, and it sounds fantastic. One of my favorite things about it is that it looks a lot like downtown Annapolis MD, which is beautiful. Unfortunately, I don't think FH or I could find decent jobs in Burlington. Please tell me I'm wrong

Old 01-21-2013, 11:39 AM

9,033 posts, read 8,747,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowFiend View Post
Please tell me I'm wrong
Wish I could, but I don't know enough about the job situation there. There used to be a big GE plant there, but I don't know its current status. Maybe try the Burlington forum.

But on the plus side, one really nice thing about Burlington is that it's within easy day-trip distance of Montreal, which is a fantastic city for cultural events, food, etc.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:49 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,154,995 times
I agree that Burlington is a great suggestion. Also maybe Portsmouth, NH or Portland, ME. Both are pretty cool cities (Portland larger than Portsmouth), and a reasonable drive to Boston for occasional big-city stuff.

Don't know about the job situations in these places, but the geography, weather, and mix of being somewhat close yet removed from big cities seem right. I think job opportunities might be greater in Nashua or Manchester areas due to more rapid population growth there, but I understand traffic on the route 93 corridor is pretty bad.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:20 PM

21,188 posts, read 30,366,193 times
Charlottesville, Virginia could be a good option for you. It ticks all of your boxes in terms of criteria.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:23 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,315,951 times
Have you considered Pittsburgh? It's not in the mountains, per se, but sure is close. It's also fairly mild. Same with Philly, but if you couldn't stand DC/Baltimore I doubt you'd handle Philly. Boston seems ideal too.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:33 PM

607 posts, read 1,092,695 times
Move further inland to Central MD and it will already be five degrees colder year round. It's also not as crowded as Baltimore city.
If you seriously dislike any sort of crowdedness whatsoever, try Western MD (Cumberland, Hagerstown, but not Frederick) or the Pittsburgh area.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:46 PM

21,188 posts, read 30,366,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Have you considered Pittsburgh? It's not in the mountains, per se, but sure is close. It's also fairly mild. Same with Philly, but if you couldn't stand DC/Baltimore I doubt you'd handle Philly. Boston seems ideal too.
I agree completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or