U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 11:19 AM

86,981 posts, read 102,527,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
KY, WV, TN and eastern NC are southern but not Deep South. So yes Appalachian culture is a subset of southern culture. You can include western Maryland too.
What about western PA and NY? What are we, chopped liver? (J/K, but Appalachia exists outside the south.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2018, 11:48 AM

821 posts, read 1,253,307 times
Northern Appalachia is rarely acknowledged. Although the M-D Line is traditionally used as the border between north and south, I believe that Northern Appalachia covers NY, PA, eastern OH, and crossing the M-D line at northern WV and western MD. About 90% of the literature on Appalachia covers central Appalachia, usually in a very unflattering way. https://wvupressonline.com/node/778

Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, PA has a Northern Appalachian studies program to address the shortage of information regarding Northern Appalachia. https://www.stvincent.edu/academics/...achian-studies

Old 12-25-2018, 01:42 PM

11,964 posts, read 5,102,113 times
Appalachia is not just one culture and Southern or mid Southern Appalachia is not exactly the same from other parts of Appalachia.
This is a great video of KY Bluegrass Appalachian culture dance and music. I think it's terrific and it would be a shame if it's ever lost.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...B2EE&FORM=VIRE

Old 12-25-2018, 02:37 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,729,281 times
It's also worth mentioning that the Appalachians have had their effects on people in both New England and Canada as well. Though eastern Canadians prefer screech to moonshine. haha ;D

One of the biggest sources of difference between Appalachian New England and Canada versus inland "greater" Appalachia, is that the proximity to the coast in the far north has quite thoroughly merged maritime culture into the mountain folk. To a degree, this can also be seen in upstate NY, due to the finger lakes and their connection to lake Ontario and further east, lake Champlain.

Old 12-25-2018, 03:24 PM

250 posts, read 127,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
KY, WV, TN and eastern NC are southern but not Deep South. So yes Appalachian culture is a subset of southern culture. You can include western Maryland too.
West Tennessee and Eastern NC are most definitely the Deep South, geographically, culturally, and demographically. I think you meant to say that East Tennessee and Western North Carolina are the Appalachian South but not Deep South.

Old 12-25-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
Northern Appalachia is rarely acknowledged. Although the M-D Line is traditionally used as the border between north and south, I believe that Northern Appalachia covers NY, PA, eastern OH, and crossing the M-D line at northern WV and western MD. About 90% of the literature on Appalachia covers central Appalachia, usually in a very unflattering way. https://wvupressonline.com/node/778

Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, PA has a Northern Appalachian studies program to address the shortage of information regarding Northern Appalachia. https://www.stvincent.edu/academics/...achian-studies
I cannot recall its name now, sadly, but a church organization in western NY began a similar campaign (albeit with a religious undertone) to spread awareness of Appalachian NY and its history, troubles and culture as well.

Seems like in the last ten years or so more and more people are beginning to discover facts about the "un-sung" regions of the northeast. Which is good! There are many misconceptions about it, for better or worse.

In a perfect world where selfishness and greed did not exist I'd have liked to see some kind of coalition of Appalachian states, regardless of north or south, to help improve the overall quality of life, economy, and infrastructure throughout the region. Imagine sharing the burdens across multiple states, and introducing some of the spending power of wealthier regions within.

Granted the ARC exists, but it's not super effective on its lonesome.

I do know it's pie in the sky, but so is anything that doesn't benefit the rich only. A man can dream.

Old 12-25-2018, 05:59 PM

5,286 posts, read 3,501,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
In a perfect world where selfishness and greed did not exist I'd have liked to see some kind of coalition of Appalachian states, regardless of north or south, to help improve the overall quality of life, economy, and infrastructure throughout the region. Imagine sharing the burdens across multiple states, and introducing some of the spending power of wealthier regions within.

Granted the ARC exists, but it's not super effective on its lonesome.

I do know it's pie in the sky, but so is anything that doesn't benefit the rich only. A man can dream.
I think the original intent of the ARC was envisioned as the change agent a lot of us would have loved to see, but sadly it was never fully funded or given the proper authority necessary. It's a shame.

Old 12-26-2018, 05:28 PM

425 posts, read 292,642 times
Northern Appalachia and Southern Appalachia are completely different and poverty is far more widespread in Southern Appalachia, henceforth where the Kentucky and West Virginia stereotypes come from.

I have travelled through many rural counties in Northwest Pennsylvania and Western and upstate New York on backpacking and camping trips and on the other side, I have also camped and traveled along the Southern portions of the Appalachian trail and also in eastern Kentucky and the differences are stark.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
Northern Appalachia and Southern Appalachia are completely different and poverty is far more widespread in Southern Appalachia, henceforth where the Kentucky and West Virginia stereotypes come from.

I have travelled through many rural counties in Northwest Pennsylvania and Western and upstate New York on backpacking and camping trips and on the other side, I have also camped and traveled along the Southern portions of the Appalachian trail and also in eastern Kentucky and the differences are stark.
They are different, but they also have more similarities than most people will admit to.

Old 03-19-2019, 03:58 PM

291 posts, read 121,017 times
Appalachia dominates much of PA and runs all the way into the southern tier of NY. It is culture in itself. You can divide it into upper/lower or Southern/Northern Appalachia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.