U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 06:35 PM

8 posts, read 44,922 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been racking our brains and researching where we want to relocate too. First, where we live and why we don't want to live here to give you an idea of what we are not looking for.
We live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. Born and raised. Never thought we wanted to leave until about 2 years ago when we had our first child. And now with a second on the way we know one thing, we don't want to raise are kids here. The county we live in is so over crowed and it's only getting worse. There are some large very dangers neighborhoods in our city and that is probably the number 1 reason for wanting to leave. While we don't live in a high crime area, it's not a safe feeling knowing that we are only 10 mins from some really bad area's. Anywhere in the Tampa Bay area is over crowded and only a short drive to bad parts of town. Now the weather, ofcourse winters are very nice but it's really not winter and the summers are so humid and last about 8 months of the year. Lastly, we are not beach bums. People say we live in paradise but we might go to the beach 2 times a year. I guess I went so much a kid I just don't go anymore even know I live 15 mins from the shore. So now for what we are looking for....
I have been to most area's of the US but it was in my early 20's and I wasn't really thinking about if these places I was visiting were great places to live. So that where you come in. Please give cities or even just an area of a state that might be right for us based on your own experiences and what we are looking for. Our list

1.) Mid size city or metro area (around 50,000-100,000) give or take

2.) Small or no bad neighborhoods. I realize crime is everywhere but I don't want to live in a city where you know there is a street you can not go down at night)

3.) Actual Winters/Bare able Summers. Only seen snow twice in my life but we want to live in a place where it is possible to snow but only has a few snow days a year

4.) Jobs do not matter but cost of living is a factor. My wife has a job she can do anywhere and that can gets us by if I can't find work right away. But we are not rich either so crazy cost of living is a issue. Medium income if not just a little more.

5.) A great place to raise a family and enjoy the outdoor.

I know I'm asking for the perfect place but I hope all can atleast point me in the right direction. Thanks for ready and answering back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 07:11 PM

56,664 posts, read 80,973,859 times
I think the problem may be with the second request, depending on how strict you are about it. What kind of work would you be looking for?

Old 01-21-2013, 07:41 PM

8 posts, read 44,922 times
I know crime is everywhere. But I live in a area now where there is a Murder on the news everyday. Obvious living in the size of the city and metro area we live in now has something too do with this. But there are whole area's (like 1/3rd of city) in the city I live in now that you don't dare go too after dark

Old 01-22-2013, 05:11 AM

21,198 posts, read 30,396,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel2436 View Post

1.) Mid size city or metro area (around 50,000-100,000) give or take

2.) Small or no bad neighborhoods. I realize crime is everywhere but I don't want to live in a city where you know there is a street you can not go down at night)

3.) Actual Winters/Bare able Summers. Only seen snow twice in my life but we want to live in a place where it is possible to snow but only has a few snow days a year

4.) Jobs do not matter but cost of living is a factor. My wife has a job she can do anywhere and that can gets us by if I can't find work right away. But we are not rich either so crazy cost of living is a issue. Medium income if not just a little more.

5.) A great place to raise a family and enjoy the outdoor.

I know I'm asking for the perfect place but I hope all can at least point me in the right direction. Thanks for ready and answering back.
You might check out Franklin, Tennessee (population 65K or so) which is a southern suburb of Nashville. It has a very low crime rate and excellent schools. The cost of living is low (Tennessee also has no state income tax), the job market in the Nashville area is healthy and you'll see four seasons with a snow or two.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:49 AM

Perhaps a community like Morgantown WV could work, as it has a good economy, has things to do, has a low crime rate and many outdoor based options close by.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:21 AM

11,889 posts, read 32,929,370 times
I try to stay out of the forum except for moderating purposes, but I just had to contribute to this thread.

When I read the OP's criteria, Cookeville, Tennessee came to mind. I don't live there but wish I did. It's a small town (30,000) that's the center of a micropolitan area of about 110,000. It's a college town (Tennessee Tech University, which is not a party school) so it has things most towns its size don't have: 2 symphonies, several playhouses, art galleries, museums (even a children's museum), NCAA sports, a thriving downtown, a large regional hospital, and a good number of excellent, independent restaurants. In addition, having a university in town helps keep the schools excellent. It's also an open school district, meaning you can live anywhere in the county and send your kids to any school you want, provided there's room.

It's in a gorgeous part of the state, just an hour east of the Nashville airport (cheapest air fares in the state, by far), and is surrounded by state parks (which are free in TN), waterfalls, gorges, and lakes. It has four beautiful, very distinct seasons, and has a very low cost of living.

Another advantage to raising a family in Tennessee: graduates of Tennessee high schools (even home schoolers) who maintain a B average receive very generous scholarships to Tennessee colleges because of the state lottery. For those students who live at home it means going to college for almost nothing. I have students who also receive academic scholarships which means they're actually making money for being in college.

Here's a picture thread for Cookeville: Cookeville Area Photos

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Last edited by JMT; 01-22-2013 at 08:32 AM..

Old 01-22-2013, 11:29 AM

2,438 posts, read 4,227,274 times
If you want to try the opposite corner of the country, Corvallis, OR and Bellingham, WA both fit your criteria.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:39 PM

96 posts, read 193,389 times
I concur with the Franklin, Tennessee vote. Lived there for several years. Raised my son there. Wonderful place. I live in Washington State now. No. No. No. Sorry, Rob. I've lived outside of Tampa, I "get" why you want to leave. I grew up in Indiana and have also lived in Missouri (Springfield twice and Kansas City once). You will feel isolated here in the Pacific Northwest with little ones. Trust me on this. 8 months out of the year you will be spending a lot of extra money trying to find things to keep them occupied while you are pulling your hair out being in the house all of the time. Bellingham (I live close to Bellingham) crime is on the rise. It is all over the Pacific Northwest. Let me answer your questions for you:

1.) Mid size city or metro area (around 50,000-100,000) give or take: Franklin-64,000

2.) Small or no bad neighborhoods. I realize crime is everywhere but I don't want to live in a city where you know there is a street you can not go down at night) Franklin-Crime Index is 131 and the national average is 356 (Bellingham is 286).

3.) Actual Winters/Bare able Summers. Only seen snow twice in my life but we want to live in a place where it is possible to snow but only has a few snow days a year Franklin has good weather and they get the occasional snow. The nice thing is that the kids get a snow day and by noon it is gone so you can all go to the zoo or museum :-) Summers are more than bearable. I love Franklin weather. Bellingham it rarely snows, just rain, rain and more rain. Summer begins on July 5 and ends right after Labor Day weekend. Bye bye good weather....

4.) Jobs do not matter but cost of living is a factor. My wife has a job she can do anywhere and that can gets us by if I can't find work right away. But we are not rich either so crazy cost of living is a issue. Medium income if not just a little more. Cost of living in Franklin is a little high but so is cost of living anywhere on the West Coast. However, the schools in Franklin are excellent. Not so much here. If Franklin is a little high, try Hendersonville, TN, Fairview, TN or Spring Hill, TN.

5.) A great place to raise a family and enjoy the outdoor. If you want to raise your kids in a great place where you can enjoy the outdoors, not the Pacific Northwest. Did I mention 8 months of rain and yucky weather? lol, yes, I believe I did. :-) Middle Tennessee, family oriented, great people, lots of places to do outdoor things.

I know I'm asking for the perfect place but I hope all can atleast point me in the right direction. Thanks for ready and answering back. Middle Tennesse. Middle Tennessee. Middle Tennessee. :-D

Old 01-24-2013, 05:13 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,093,248 times
Might check out Boulder Colorado maby even Colorado Springs

Boulder Colorado | Hotels, Things To Do, Boulder Visitors Bureau

Home

Old 01-24-2013, 05:53 PM

If you don't mind NY, perhaps check out Ithaca, Glens Falls and Plattsburgh. Ithaca and Glens Falls are metros just over 100,000 and Clinton County, where Plattsburgh is located, has around 85,000 people. Glens Falls and Plattsburgh are by the Adirondacks and Ithaca is in the Finger Lakes. Glens Falls has a Six Flags amusement park, Plattsburgh has a free city beach for city residents and Ithaca has a few state Parks close by. Schools in each city are good and there are suburban/surrounding school districts that are good as well. Saratoga Springs is another NY State city to possibly consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.