U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 09:15 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,707,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDResident View Post
For starters, the South didn't influence hip hop. It has its own type, sure, but that's about it. Secondly, you completely discount the role that places outside of the South have had when it comes to music.
Sure, other regions have had influence. I don't think anyone said that. But the origin of almost every musical genre that's prominent today has Southern roots. Even hip hop has its roots in funk.

When I moved South, the thing I was immediately struck by was the complete and total immersion the region has in music. I've lived in a lot of major cities and all but the largest cities have a tough time keeping up with the music scene in the South. It is a region that has been consistently innovative for decades. That's why there are three major music centers in the United States: New York, L.A., and Nashville, and not necessarily in that order. There's a similar parallel in literature as well, given the breathtaking literary heritage of the American South. Outside of New England in the 1800s, there's really not a region in the United States that can rival the place in terms of sheer quality literary output.

I think there's a clue in the language. Southerners tend to be very good storytellers, the result of a strong oral tradition. I mean, even though I really dislike country music, the lyrics are really quite good once you strip away the cornpone. And bluegrass is really a complex fusion of any number of musical influences, not just a bunch of hicks plinking away on banjos -- which happens to be an instrument with African origins. Ironic isn't it? A musical genre that the uninformed associate with hillbillies was really the first American experimentation with World Music.

Music festivals are a dime a dozen, and most Southerners know how to play an instrument or sing. So I always think it's hilarious when people come down here, visit clubs and say, "Damn, I wish we had this in Cleveland," as if Southerners are nothing more than a bunch of knuckle-dragging hayseeds. Yet the rest of the country owes the South an incredible debt. Because, outside of polka, you'd be hard-pressed to find an American musical form that doesn't owe its lineage to the American South. And I hate polka.

Heck, Muscle Shoals, a wide spot in the road an hour northwest of Birmingham, had a freaking amazing influence on global music. Just check out this documentary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KodHAJb6uck Or this one about Sand Mountain, thirty miles northeast of Birmingham: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVe7v4IVMJI

I've personally done session work with guys who had gold records, had their time in the sun, and just went back to having a semi-normal life. Elsewhere, they'd be minor celebs.

Last edited by cpg35223; 01-28-2013 at 09:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 09:50 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,729,281 times
Well... you can stress the whole roots thing but many forms of music came out of, or were perfected in the west and north as well. We "Yankees" aren't all tone def robots you know. :/

Disco was at it's biggest in the northeast. Heavy Metal was definitely more significant in the north.

Grunge came out of California. Korn and it's original spin on "shock rock" came from Cali, shock rock in general was not very southern.

Southern rap has it's own sound but it doesn't really hold a larger-candle to west coast and NYC influence, especially in the early days.

Electronica, while born from Europe, is still stronger in the north and west today. Skrillex ain't from Georgia.

The south did give us a lot of good music and a lot of early American genres. But it isn't so big that it swallows all things American music.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:53 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,707,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Well... you can stress the whole roots thing but many forms of music came out of, or were perfected in the west and north as well. We "Yankees" aren't all tone def robots you know. :/

Disco was at it's biggest in the northeast. Heavy Metal was definitely more significant in the north.

Grunge came out of California. Korn and it's original spin on "shock rock" came from Cali, shock rock in general was not very southern.

Southern rap has it's own sound but it doesn't really hold a larger-candle to west coast and NYC influence, especially in the early days.

Electronica, while born from Europe, is still stronger in the north and west today. Skrillex ain't from Georgia.

The south did give us a lot of good music and a lot of early American genres. But it isn't so big that it swallows all things American music.
I don't think anybody is making that case. However, I would argue that even the genres you cite, except electronica, aren't very far removed from the foundations laid in the South.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:18 AM

8,931 posts, read 11,794,667 times
Quote:
For starters, the South didn't influence hip hop. It has its own type, sure, but that's about it. Secondly, you completely discount the role that places outside of the South have had when it comes to music.
They call James Brown "the first rapper". He's from Georgia. Joe Tex is also considered an important predecessor.

Make no mistake about it. Southern black culture laid the foundations for hip-hop.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:10 PM

29,870 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I don't think anybody is making that case. However, I would argue that even the genres you cite, except electronica, aren't very far removed from the foundations laid in the South.
All of those are pretty much subgenres that came out of the major musical genres in the South. For instance, disco and heavy metal are derived from funk, soul, and rock 'n roll, all with Southern roots. Many of the Northern and Western urban centers commercialized and popularized those musical forms, but they originated, directly or indirectly, in the South.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:51 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,744,534 times
Here's a fun map, though it is a bit old, showing the US according to country music lyrics.

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l6...65n4o1_500.gif

You can find it in John Shelton Reed's book, My Tears Spoiled My Aim.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:20 PM

10,153 posts, read 6,485,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
They call James Brown "the first rapper". He's from Georgia. Joe Tex is also considered an important predecessor.

Make no mistake about it. Southern black culture laid the foundations for hip-hop.

Actually James Brown was from South Carolina.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:49 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,794,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Actually James Brown was from South Carolina.
He was born in SC and raised in Georgia. Augusta has always been called his hometown. They have a statue of the man downtown and an arena named after him.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:42 PM

29,870 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
He was born in SC and raised in Georgia. Augusta has always been called his hometown. They have a statue of the man downtown and an arena named after him.
True. The Augusta metro area in general, which includes parts of SC, lays claim to him. He maintained a home and is buried in nearby Beech Island, SC.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:12 PM

4,453 posts, read 3,750,975 times
Quote:
With all due respect UD, I never discounted anyplace outside of the South which has played a role in the music of any genre. I merely asked...if not the south then where?

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

The term hip hop music is sometimes used synonymously with the term rap music.

Hip hop music - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From its many cultural influences, the South developed its own unique customs, literature, cuisine and musical styles (such as country music, bluegrass, rockabilly, southern gospel, jazz, blues and rock and roll). Recently, the spread of rap music has led to the rise of the musical sub-genre of the Dirty South. Atlanta, Houston, Memphis, Miami, and New Orleans have long been major centers of hip-hop culture.

Culture of the Southern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The United States, In Order Of Their Contribution To American Music
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or