U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 03:20 PM

17,304 posts, read 19,585,657 times

Advertisements

Washington, D.C. - very much fiction.

I will say, however, that it's not easy to really understand the dynamic of the DC metro area even for people who've lived here a long time. It's like an endlessly moving target. Makes it interesting, I'll say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 04:59 PM

87,020 posts, read 102,689,903 times
Denver-Boulder: Mostly fiction. We're not knee high in snow for 6 months; it was in the 60s yesterday, today and likely tomorrow.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:33 PM

9,441 posts, read 18,359,292 times
I honestly have no idea what outsiders think of Albuquerque other than a few trite things like Breaking Bad or Bugs Bunny. It's isolated and below the radar but I figure many envision the adobe architecture look of Santa Fe but the infrastructure and look of the city is pretty much that of your average medium sized western city. I think the crime aspect is a bit overblown as some have said "Oh yeah I saw ABQ on COPS" or think its the meth capital because of Breaking Bad. Though there are number of nice middle class and affluent areas that make it a very livable city. It's topographical high desert and mountain location make it beautiful.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:25 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,057,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I honestly have no idea what outsiders think of Albuquerque other than a few trite things like Breaking Bad or Bugs Bunny. It's isolated and below the radar but I figure many envision the adobe architecture look of Santa Fe but the infrastructure and look of the city is pretty much that of your average medium sized western city. I think the crime aspect is a bit overblown as some have said "Oh yeah I saw ABQ on COPS" or think its the meth capital because of Breaking Bad. Though there are number of nice middle class and affluent areas that make it a very livable city. It's topographical high desert and mountain location make it beautiful.
Agreed. Albuquerque beats out many cities larger than it because of its location and natural beauty. I've also heard it has quite the hipster presence.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:46 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,692,507 times
Default You knew i was going to say this

Portland: FICTION

Not an entire city hipster enclave. A few neighborhoods close to downtown but none anywhere are solely hipster. Neighborhoods here consist of a mixture of all types. Even the wealthy Pearl District. Many beautiful old craftsman homes in the older sections of town on the east side of town close in to downtown consist of older neighborhoods with families.

Some of parts of town not far from the downtown area consists of large homes and tree lined streets. Some have modest homes and some apartment buildings.

SW part of town just outside downtown almost looks like the country.

Too bad people don't often get to see these parts of Portland on TV. They are missing out on some beautiful parts of our city. We have a forest right in the middle of it. And that is not fiction.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:55 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,543,684 times
OK, how some of the world (and apparently some people on City Data) sees the Bay Area:

San Franciscans--All gay high tech millionaires;
Oakland residents--All thugs wanting to rob those millionaires;
Berkeleyans--All radicals itching to protest those millionaires, but secretly being subsidized by them.

Life here just (usually) ain't that entertaining, sorry folks.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:18 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,041,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
OK, how some of the world (and apparently some people on City Data) sees the Bay Area:

San Franciscans--All gay high tech millionaires;
Oakland residents--All thugs wanting to rob those millionaires;
Berkeleyans--All radicals itching to protest those millionaires, but secretly being subsidized by them.

Life here just (usually) ain't that entertaining, sorry folks.
I figured San Fran was just gay and all the tech millionaires are in San Jose.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:50 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,543,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
I figured San Fran was just gay and all the tech millionaires are in San Jose.
Ah, the old stereotype! Now, it seems, the tech millionaires have moved up to San Francisco, determining their residences by proximity to Google bus stops. There seems to be some truth to this, but of course a city of 800,000 is just a wee bit more complex.

I can't really identify a clear stereotype for San Jose, which is kind of remarkable for a city of almost 1 million people. The center of gravity of Silicon Valley is actually a bit northwest of San Jose, in Mountain View and Sunnyvale and Santa Clara, though of course San Jose is part of it. No stereotypes, no landmarks, lbut, unlike some folks' thoughts, a working if small downtown.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:25 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,518,387 times
Orange County - FICTION!

Seriously, we don't live like those on the OC or Real Housewives, that is unless you live in Newport Beach or something. We don't all live in mansions by the beach with spectacular views and what not.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:43 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,326,666 times
Fiction: Minneapolis is twice the size of NYC and it's not in the Plains/Midwest, it's in a tropical island paradise. And people call ME crazy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.